U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 AM

35,181 posts, read 32,145,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Honda makes a few "super quiet inverter" styles great for campers. The EU1000iA, EU2000iA and EU3000i provide "clean" current safe for computers, etc. and they won't disturb the whole campground. Yamaha is another (or THE other) good brand for camping (EF1000i, EF2400i). These aren't the cheapest generators on the market, but they're considered the best for camping.

I've personally never owned a generator, but I can see one in my future. I have two batteries that'll last a long weekend -- much longer if I don't run the ducted furnace.

The only way to keep one inside is if it's built to be inside and installed with ventilation and an exhaust pipe exiting the roof. You'll normally only see these in high-end 5th wheels and motorhomes.
What kind of battery setup would you need to run a full size fridge or AC over night? The intent being to recharge with a loud genset in the daytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
If you have central you'll need a large one. For a window unit for a bedroom it can be about 5500 to 6000 sustained size and do fine to power a freezer;frig;lights and even many fans during the time. It will burn about 5-6 gallon every twelve hours and be sure and have oil to change it as instructed. I used mine twice after storms and it was well worth it. Also have a cable and armour lock because they tend to get stolen after hurricanes.Also have a supply of stablized gasoline because it can be a day or two before it become avaialble after a storm.Run the generator about once evert two weeks during the year also.A tank that has stabalized can last most of that years fine for this.Its so deadly quite after a hurricane that I reallt didn't mind the noise and sleep like a baby;even watched TV alot.You get use to it.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,556 posts, read 39,934,465 times
I have been very UNHAPPY with my Generac and Onans (Noisy, temperamental, and very thirsty)

I would get a common Honda and run it a few time / yr, being sure to keep treatment in the fuel. New gasoline plays havoc on small engines.

For serious power, I would get a Military Surplus genset with a 2-71 Detroit diesel and burn waste veggie oil. (Hint... these are very noisy, put it BEHIND the neighbor's house) I have a friend who uses one to sell electricity back to the utility, so he gets a check every month, instead of a bill.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
We had the military generators at work that we got in perfect shape but found we have to order specail parts as they are not comon with many. They also are expensive. It took awhile but we fianlly got the CD's from a national guard unit and printed the manuals needed.If I were going to buy a smaller one it would be for natrual gas if I plan on using it for like a week. Gas or even diesel generators have there problems and are expensive to run. Diesel can be hard to find after a hurricane also compared to gasoline.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,719,355 times
This is an old thread, but I'll jump in. Hondas are great. Fuel efficient, quiet, and clean power. My buddy has the small one and it is amazing. It also cost $1000 for 1200 watts. He uses it all the time though for camping and hunting. If I was going to buy one for intermittent use like hurricanes, I'd get a larger, cheaper unit. There are 6000 watt units for less than $1k all over the place. Run once every few months, keep StaBil in the tank, and spend the money on an electrician to tie one or two important circuits. You can have them jumped so that you can just fire the generator and not worry about extension cords, etc. While you are at it, pour a small slab near the power box where the electrician does his magic and build a good weather-proof box to store it.

Two Hondas running in parallel would cost far more than a cheaper generator and all the upgrades. Just my two cents.

Oh, don't forget to ground it.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:19 AM

35,181 posts, read 32,145,638 times
Ok, might have talked the misses into blm camping with our TT. I'm looking for a 3000 min gen ( we'll need ac in the desert) set under 60 db for less than 1500. Is that even possible? We'll be in primitive campgrounds that can be hot any time of year.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,358,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, might have talked the misses into blm camping with our TT. I'm looking for a 3000 min gen ( we'll need ac in the desert) set under 60 db for less than 1500. Is that even possible? We'll be in primitive campgrounds that can be hot any time of year.
Look for a gently used Honda eu3000is, used prices from 800 - 1600, I just bought one for 1500 one year old never had gas in it. Craigslist has them.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:03 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times
If you want to be able to run things like your fridge, whole house AC and pool off a generator you will need to get a large auxiliary power setup and it will not be cheap. I think solar power would be a much better investment for the price.

If you just need to power a heater and some light a portable generator should be fine. I have a Honda EU3000i for camping which is also a nice backup in case of an extended home outage. It's a far cry from a whole house backup power supply, but it's enough to keep me from freezing overnight or smashing into things in the dark. And it's quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing