U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,643,743 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a generator for my home in case of a hurricane. I want to get the most fuel efficient as well as the quietest. I will want to power the air, the frig, pool and a few lights. I don't need to run the pool the whole time. I could shut off the air and run the pool for a few hrs.

Any suggestions on the make and model I should look for? How big should I get? I'm thinking of getting a honda but not sure on size of model.

I knew RV people would know best

Thanks!

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 08-16-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,272,842 times
Trust me you will not want to waste gas on running your pool pump if a hurricane hits. So then that leaves the fridge, a few lights, and the portable/window A/C (you aren't going to power the central A/C with these types of generators) and you will want to run a TV. Hondas are great, very efficent with the gas, they are quite which is really nice at night. You probably need 2 Honda 2000's or higher.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:04 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,643,743 times
Yeah I figured we wouldn't run the pool much. But I guess you are right, we just won't run it.

I thought about getting a small window unit and all of us staying in just one room. So you think I need to buy 2? Any idea on the model?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,524,033 times
My buddy sells these in Ohio. Generac Power Systems - Guardian Series 14 kW

There are choices between natural gas, propane, diesel, and gasoline. Does the natural gas supply get disrupted during hurricanes? Gasoline is probably the easiest to find, but is very inefficient. Diesel is better but difficult to get at times. I like being self sufficient in an emergency. A 400 pound propane bottle is about 100 gallons of propane. It doesn't take up that much space, and will last a good amount of time.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,794,943 times
Golly jenny, what ever you do, do buy a cheapie, get a really good honda or other brand name, and a 4 to 5KW will do you probably just fine.
I found this website, and on the left of the page, you can click on the appliance type, and it will show you how much electricity each one requires. Please keep in mind that when appliances start up, they'll need nearly twice the wattage just to get them going. If a window a/c unit requires 900 watts running, it'll need 1800 or more to start up.
here's the link, and good luck.

How much electricity does my stuff use?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 AM

128 posts, read 567,189 times
I'm probably close to making a decision on a pup and the thought of a generator has been nagging me. Noise. I remember my generator for hurricanes and it was loud. Do most campers have one in their pup or keep it outside? Would it make enough noise to disturb others?
Thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,794,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swanson View Post
I'm probably close to making a decision on a pup and the thought of a generator has been nagging me. Noise. I remember my generator for hurricanes and it was loud. Do most campers have one in their pup or keep it outside? Would it make enough noise to disturb others?
Thanks.
Most campers do not have generators, except the big bus type pushers, and, when those park, the gen. is on a sliding tray that slides out of it's space to run it or service it. I suppose they can run them in place inside of the compartment, but, I never would because of a risk of carbon monoxides and possible fire hazards.

From past experiences, generators with a 4-5 horepower engine are noisy. Usually, the littler ones like a 2KW honda are so quiet you can't hear them run. I have a 6 horse champion, 4 KW, and it's 62 DB, loud. Needless to say, we don't use it very often. And, it's a piece of junk. It's been fixed several times, and obtaining warranty repairs for it is nightmarish. Nobody wants to work on them. Which is why I suggested to Jennysquirrel not to go cheap. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

You folks in florida are probably going to get battered by hurricanes in the next week, so the time to prepare is now.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM

9,168 posts, read 16,519,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swanson View Post
Thanks.
Honda makes a few "super quiet inverter" styles great for campers. The EU1000iA, EU2000iA and EU3000i provide "clean" current safe for computers, etc. and they won't disturb the whole campground. Yamaha is another (or THE other) good brand for camping (EF1000i, EF2400i). These aren't the cheapest generators on the market, but they're considered the best for camping.

I've personally never owned a generator, but I can see one in my future. I have two batteries that'll last a long weekend -- much longer if I don't run the ducted furnace.

The only way to keep one inside is if it's built to be inside and installed with ventilation and an exhaust pipe exiting the roof. You'll normally only see these in high-end 5th wheels and motorhomes.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 104,515 times
I've had a Champion (4K) and Hondas (2K) and no matter what anybody thinks, they're both noisy. The Honda is quieter when it's just idling along, but as soon as you put it under a load the noise just ramps right up. And unless you're going to get two of the Hondas and run them in parallel (which I did) they won't handle much of a load at all. They were quieter but almost useless to me since they were so wimpy. I got rid of them and got the Champion instead. It is louder, but I can stand next to it and carry on a conversation without yelling. I admit I wouldn't want to listen to it next to me at a CG, but I wouldn't want to listen to the Honda either. They're both obnoxious when they're pulling a load.

I wish people who like to let their diesel engines idle in the CG for 45 minutes worried about noise as much as the campers who use generators do.

As far as working on them, the Champion is much easier and much less expensive to service. It's basically your run of the mill Briggs and Stratton small engine (not exactly, but you get the idea). You could work on it yourself. The Honda? Totally different. You get the pleasure of taking it to your local Honda dealer and paying whatever they tell you that you'll pay. I'm sure there are those out there that could crack open the Honda and work on it themselves, but not me.

Since you're not talking about using it in a CG and beyond that, you're also talking emergency situations, I wouldn't really care how loud it was. I would just want something that would power as much as possible. You can get a Honda that will do that, but you could also spend just about the same money on a small car to just drive where they have power.

If you don't really care about the price and you have the option of natural gas, just get a whole house natural gas (or propane) generator. You can outfit yourself pretty well for around 8 grand. Never have to worry about it again, and it will push everything in your house within reason. As a survivor of the Ice Storm of '09 here in KY, I'm getting one installed myself. 21 days without power made a believer out of me. We've also switched over to gas stoves, fireplaces and water heaters. I'll never be that miserable or that stinky for that long again!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
I've got a big loud noisy one so I lined my shed with left over R15 insulation and just keep the door closed when we ran it the last power outage. I offered a power cord to my neighbor which ensured there fridge would be saved too.

This also kept away any noise complaint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing