Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,632 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am pretty excited about this used pop-up I am buying and just wanted to share with everyone!!

I am buying it used for about $2,000, it has King bed, two full beds, and a twin bed, two tables, sink, fridge, heat, water tank and who knows what else.

I am a little nervous because I'm not all that handy but I figure for 2,000 what the heck, even if I use it for a bit and sell it off I am pretty certain to get my money's worth.

I'm also a little nervous because the lady that is selling it doesn't have a manual. I like to read manuals to see how things work.

Does anyone have a book they recommend, like a Camping for Dummies book or something?

Also, I'm in New England and trying to figure out if I should store it in my garage or not. It would take up half the garage, so I'd rather not put it in there if it's not necessary. And if I did, I was wondering if I could store things on top of it, you know baskets, totes, sleds, any small miscellaneous garage type stuff, nothing really heavy.

Any words of wisdom from you experienced campers out there? I've heard to take the cushions out and store them indoors for the winter. I was also thinking about getting a generator if they are not too expensive because one place I enjoyed camping last summer doesn't have electricity, and I'd like to have it if possible.

Anyway, just wanted to share my news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Congratulations on your new "baby".

Just a couple of thoughts.

Your new trailer has water capability and you live in New England. That means cold weather is coming soon. Has your trailer had its water system winterized (pipes blown with air, antifreeze in the lines and traps, hot water tank blown and anti-freezed)? If not, get it done soon at an RV dealer. While it's possible to do it yourself, dealers have the equipment to do it quickly and most offer a guarantee against freeze damage.

Most trailers use common components such as furnaces, water heaters, fridges, etc. These things are not rocket science to run and most have rudimentary instructions located on labels attached to the appliances themselves. In the spring, if you still have concerns about stuff you can't figure out, pop back to that RV dealership and get them to give you a hands on orientation.

I would recommend taking the foam cushions and mattresses out of the unit for the winter and placing them some place where they'll be safe from mice. I've seen several pop-ups which have provided a winter home to mice and it wasn't pretty.......or sweet-smelling.

If the cushions are out, and the roof seals well, there's no reason why the unit can't spend the winter outside. You can actually store your non-perishable, non-freezable camping gear in the unit and free up some extra garage space. If you're worried about leaks, secure a poly tarp over the unit for added protection.

Be sure to put some sort of mouse bait in the unit before storage on the off chance you have visitors.....a good host always provides for their guests.

Your generator question depends of what appliances you expect to be able to run.

Some pop-ups have provisions for installing a deep cycle 12 volt battery to run lights. A good deep cycle can last for 2 or three days and you can arrange things so that your automobile alternator will charge the battery through the trailer wiring harness.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
You could probably find a manual through the manufacturer or on e-bay, if it were me i would store it in the garage, you can put things on top of it, just put something on to protect the paint.
generators are not cheap when it come to a real nice quiet one but they are worth the money, always get the quietest one you can get.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Congrats on the new camper!

Don't feel too badly about the lack of an owner's manual. We bought our current 5th wheel new, and it didn't come with much of an owner's manual -- just a few pages that weren't really model-specific.

You've gotten good advice here so far. That tip to winterize is very important. Do it yesterday if it hasn't already been done. If it doesn't have a bathroom it shouldn't take much to winterize it, just the tanks (fresh and grey water), lines (fresh and drains), water pump, water heater and the kitchen sink. Let the water pump and/or water heater freeze up and you'll have a lot more invested!

I agree with the previous poster, that it would be best to have an RV dealer or service shop do it this year. You might ask if they'll let you watch, so you'll learn how it's done. Just tell them this is your first camper and you'd like to learn as much about it as possible. Some shops won't allow it, some will. Ask them if it's plumbed with a by-pass line around the water heater. If it's not, you might ask if they think it should be. It makes it a little easier to winterize -- not a big deal either way.

When it comes to selecting a generator, Honda gets rave reviews for its quiet EU2000i and EU1000i models. They only weight about 50 and 30 pounds respectively, and if you decide to sell one, they'll go quickly. Lots of people want those models.

Yamaha makes some very similar that seem to have equal quality. I'd try to stick with Honda or Yamaha. You'll find cheaper ones, and some people are satisfied with those. I think most of the cheap ones come from China; in addition to them being much noisier, they don't seem too reliable, and parts aren't always available. Your choice.

I'm sure the 2000 watt models would be enough for anything but air conditioning, which I assume you don't have. The smaller 800-1000 watt models should be enough to charge your battery, and if it would be, it'd be much cheaper and easier to handle weight-wise.

I'm wondering how much current your furnace draws, if any. Aside from AC, the furnace on mine is what draws the current. I'd hold off on buying any kind of generator until you know you need one. Give it a good long weekend of camping before you decide. I've been camping for 30+ years, mostly in various RVs. I've never owned a generator but plan to buy one soon. (So far I just get to listen to the noisy ones!!!!)

We have two batteries installed in our 5th wheel, and they'll run heat and lights for 2-5 days, depending on how much the furnace runs.

Whether you find an owner's manual or not, you might want to visit/join RV.net. It's free, and it's a very busy RV board with plenty of members happy to answer your camper/camping questions.

Good luck and happy camping!

Last edited by WyoNewk; 10-20-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,997,958 times
All I have to add is a big CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your going to love it!!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Have a friend who just got one and is a happy Camper!!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,058 times
I imagine you are going to like your pop up.
I had one years ago and really liked it. Then I decided to upgrade and got a hard trailer.
Guess what? I liked the pop up better.
So much easier to tow and there was actualy more sleeping space.
One thing you want to remember with a pop up is not to store it with wet canvas. If you get caught in rain at the campsite and go home, you should set it back up when the weather permits and let the canvas, etc, dry out.
Another thing is they are harder to backup than a longer trailer because the are shorter. A small backup turning manuever results in a greater tight turn result than a longer camper. But you'll get used to that and it won't be a problem with some practice.
It wont hurt to store it outside as long as there are no leaks. Yes you can store light stuff on top if you store the camper in your garage.
If you leave it outside for the winter have the tires sitting on something to keep them off the ground. A flat rock, those flat cement blocks or even a piece of 2x6.
And I'll give you a little hint. If you should decide to go camping in weather when the nights get kind of cold, a few layers of newspaper under the mattresses of the pull out bed sections make good insulation. A cheap trick to help your bed be warmer.
And don't get in bed in the rear pullout section if the jack stands aren't in place. The wife and I was checking ours out when we first got it and sat down on the rear bed. Next thing we knew the tonque was pointed toward the sky and the back end was on the ground. LOL
Make sure when you put it down that the canvas is tucked inside and not pinched between the top and bottom. We left the cushions and mattresses in the camper over the winter. I put mothballs in the camper and never had a mouse problem. Maybe mice dont like the scent of mothballs either. We set it up and let it air out before we used it. But there is certainly nothing wrong bringing the cushions, etc, in the house. I just didn't want to take the chance of mice chewing on the canvas either.
Enjoy your camper.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You've gotten good advice here so far. That tip to winterize is very important. Do it yesterday if it hasn't already been done. If it doesn't have a bathroom it shouldn't take much to winterize it, just the tanks (fresh and grey water), lines (fresh and drains), water pump, water heater and the kitchen sink. Let the water pump and/or water heater freeze up and you'll have a lot more invested!
The previous owner said she only ever used the sink once. If she didn't use it this summer, would I still have to winterize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
When it comes to selecting a generator, Honda gets rave reviews for its quiet EU2000i and EU1000i models. They only weight about 50 and 30 pounds respectively, and if you decide to sell one, they'll go quickly. Lots of people want those models.

We have two batteries installed in our 5th wheel, and they'll run heat and lights for 2-5 days, depending on how much the furnace runs.
Now I wonder if I've jumped the gun with the generator question. I don't think it has a battery. Can I hook one up somehow? That is what I was thinking I needed a generator for (because it had no battery---I know, I know, DUH! I don't know what the heck I was thinking-----I just want electricity at places that don't have it--If you had no battery that would mean the generator would have to run 24/7, right?). But if I could hook up a battery to the camper that could recharge off the car, then I guess I would not need a generator, right? i know, I am hopeless when it comes to batteries/electricity/voltage/current, any of that. Thank God I've got my Dad.

I will have to show this thing to my Dad. He knows EVERYTHING (how's that for daughterly love?) and if there is any way to hook a battery to that sucker he will figure it out!

But maybe I don't even need a generator.

I just know that electricity sure was nice to have when we camped in my friend's camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
They are harder to backup than a longer trailer because the are shorter. A small backup turning manuever results in a greater tight turn result than a longer camper. But you'll get used to that and it won't be a problem with some practice.
I will have to practice. Some of these campgrounds have crazy-small sites or are at weird angles. I have no idea how the heck the people got the campers on them in the first place!
Quote:
If you leave it outside for the winter have the tires sitting on something to keep them off the ground. A flat rock, those flat cement blocks or even a piece of 2x6.
why do the tires have to be off the ground?
Quote:
And I'll give you a little hint. If you should decide to go camping in weather when the nights get kind of cold, a few layers of newspaper under the mattresses of the pull out bed sections make good insulation. A cheap trick to help your bed be warmer.
great tip. in my friend's camper, I usually put a nice thick blanket under me and one over, never thought of insulating under the mattress itself.
Quote:
And don't get in bed in the rear pullout section if the jack stands aren't in place. The wife and I was checking ours out when we first got it and sat down on the rear bed. Next thing we knew the tonque was pointed toward the sky and the back end was on the ground. LOL
My friend just bought her camper and she apparently didn't have ALL the supports put up properly. A few kids and I were on one side of the thing and it did dip a bit. I was like "Holy Crap this thing is going over!" A few weeks later she told me they found some more supports on each corner of the camper!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You could probably find a manual through the manufacturer or on e-bay, if it were me i would store it in the garage, you can put things on top of it, just put something on to protect the paint.
generators are not cheap when it come to a real nice quiet one but they are worth the money, always get the quietest one you can get.
Good idea! I just would like to have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Be sure to put some sort of mouse bait in the unit before storage on the off chance you have visitors.....a good host always provides for their guests.
Do you mean something like DCon that will kill the mice? Won't they die in the camper and stink that way too? Or will they leave then die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Some pop-ups have provisions for installing a deep cycle 12 volt battery to run lights. A good deep cycle can last for 2 or three days and you can arrange things so that your automobile alternator will charge the battery through the trailer wiring harness.
See, this is why I wish I had the manual!!!

I will have to look into this! I'd rather have 2-3 days worth of electricity, used sparingly, then drag around a generator.

Thank you all for your responses!!!

I am looking for a shed, and if I can get one this fall, and get the lawnmowers and snow blower out of the garage, then the camper can come in. I'm going to put the cushions in the basement just to be on the safe side.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
mommytotwo - I'm jealous of your new toy

Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,058 times
You don't have to have the tires off the ground.
Some people park campers in backyards or in an unpaved drive with little gravel. (Like me) In an area that has freeze and thaw cycles over the winter the ground gets soft during the thaw and the tires sink into it. I just don't like mine sinking in the ground and sitting in wet dirt for long periods. I like to have something between the tires and the ground. I just think it's better for the tires.
If you park on cement or asphalt it wont matter although some people do jack up their campers and place jackstands underneath so the tires dont touch anything. This is to prevent flat spotting of the tires that can be caused by sitting in one position for long periods of time but I don't do that. It just depends on a persons preference.
Always check tire pressures in the spring before using the camper. It will lose air pressure over the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing