U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,382,101 times

Advertisements

My late wife was from Bergen County -- Westwood. Here's one of the last places we boondocked. This was our view as we stepped from the camper early one morning -- the Tetons from Schwabacher's Landing on a tributary of the Snake River. It's probably a half mile off a main paved highway, down a narrow 4x4 trail.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:30 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,521,298 times
That's a gorgeous photograph.......reminds me of a Bob Ross painting!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:48 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,012,764 times
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice pic you have there! Looks like the kind of place I would out the rest of my life in

Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 PM

144 posts, read 503,987 times
Default Finding sites

How do you find sites? I went to the BLM link posted above and it gives me what looks like touristy campsites, with activities listed. Can I just go exploring in any National Forest and camp? What about State Parks? Where else? If I start calling wilderness areas will they be able to give me accurate, real, legal info about where I can camp and where I can't?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM

I don't know about state parks, but it's okay in most National Forests and wilderness areas with some restrictions -- such as no camping within so many feet of established roads, rivers or lakes, etc. I think a phone call would be a good idea for starters.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,012,764 times
In Ohio, most all State Parks have asphalt pads for you set your campers up on. Now if your camping as they call it, "Primitive" tents, then you can park and set-up your tent within feet of each other, but no parking on the grass. You can call ahead and reserve sites, or go online and reserve them with a credit card.
We like to reserve online, that way we get to look a what site may be better for us, because we don't like being dang near on top our neighbors. That one of the reasons why we won't camp at (KOA), because they stack you on top one another. Most, but not all of Ohio's State Parks have anywhere between 25 to 50 ft between each sites and trees to block you from looking at each other all day long.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:02 PM

144 posts, read 503,987 times
Default will I have to contend with hunters?

So what I am interested in is maybe a mix, I will be camping out of a tent attached to my car, but I don't want to be in a group type camp site, I want to be off the beaten path. I live next to a state park and a national forest and I was thinking to have some short camping outings to gear up for my 2 mo trip this summer and one thing I noticed is that here in AL there are hunters everywhere in the national forest. Is that something I will have to deal with or not? Maybe in the summer there won't be hunters roaming the same areas I am trying to relax in. Perhaps there are places where I can go where there is no hunting allowed? I am planning on going from AL to CA and visiting forests/state parks etc in between.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:07 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
" I am planning on going from AL to CA and visiting forests/state parks etc in between."

Here's a thread to read if you plan to camp in Arizona
Camping Spots

Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
For campsites in the National Forests, the best bet is to visit the website of each Forest you intend to visit. Most of them have a list of all the campsites within the forest, along with details about the amenities at each site (water, vault toilets, no. of sites, etc.).

These websites provide information about camping in recreational sites within the National Forests. There are some differences in how the sites look, and how information is listed, but most of the forests I've checked have a decent list of what's available within them. Here are some examples:

Sierra National Forest (CA):
Sierra National Forest - Recreation, All Campgrounds

Dixie National Forest (UT):
Dixie National Forest - Recreational Activities

Shoshone National Forest (WY):
USDA Forest Service, Shoshone National Forest - Newsroom

Cibola National Forest (NM):
Cibola National Forest - Recreational Activities

Finally, here's a list of Forests by state:
http://www.fs.fed.us/cgi-bin/fsnavigator.cgi#A

Here's one final website to help you find places to camp within our National Forests and other federal sites:
Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM

I only clicked on the link for the Shoshone NF, since I'm a little familiar with it. Here's another link that was buried in one of the links from that link (ya follow that?), but I think it's more what the OP was wanting. If you don't find what you want in those links, just dig a little and you might find exactly what you want.

Dispersed Camping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing