U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 03:52 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,167,164 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else live in an RV fulltime or thinking about it? We just relocated to Arizona from Alaska , brought our 5th wheel, an 11-year-old granddaughter we have, and 3 dogs... We spent a month in an RV park looking for a house, changed our mind when we found 1-1/2 acres with RV hookups, totally fenced in with garage and wild chickens to boot, to rent for $400 a month... Anyone willing to share tips, questions, etc...?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 07:31 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,006,718 times
I did it for 1 1/2 years, but not in a 5th wheel or trailer. It was in a Class B van with my ex-boyfriend and his little dog. I liked it, but not with him, and we never got along. He bought a mobile home in Chico, the situation just got worse, and more abusive. I eventually left him and moved to San Diego, he went back to Sacramento.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,097,101 times
Although we just recently bought a home again, we have lived in our RV full-time for the last 6 years. Four in our fiver, and two in our Class A. Since you won't be dealing with cold weather full timing, and apparently not moving your rig from place to place... my tip would be to enjoy yourself, your family, and your new lifestyle. It really is not a bad lifestyle choice. We learned very quickly that you can live with a lot less than most of us do. And RVer's in general are a helpful and friendly group of people. Best of luck!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 AM

66 posts, read 127,753 times
We been full timing for over a year. We were already frequent weekenders in various places in the south west before going full time.

Arizona is a tough place to stay year round. Your electric bill will be in orbit. Texas has had their hottest summer since records were kept and I can tell you most days the AC just does not shut off till the sun goes down. And even then it takes just a minute rest before coming back on. If you could get under a tree for some shade it would make a small difference.

The past winter was easy really. As you know RVs do eat a lot of propane for heat. The big pain is packing up and driving to an LP place to fill up which is about every 3 weeks. They do sell a kit to hook up where you can buy a portable tank and hook it to your permanant tank. Ours is a permanant 18 gallon tank and it cost $35 to fill it every 3 weeks. This winter we will buy the LP kit so we dont have to pack up and drive to the LP place constantly.

RVers are normally nicer people then a homeowner. Especially in this economic depresion where homeowners have lost 50% of their home value and worse, that tends to make people turn pretty mean. Full time RVers dont have that stress. What you do find is rather then lots of vacationers today, you have lots of RVers who relocated for work. They gave their homes to the scumbag banks who refused to work with them and moved where there is work. So what I am saying is maybe 70% of every one in the parks I have been in the past year are now full timers rather then vacationers due to the economic depression.

We talk to lots of people. So many sad stories to tell and people are not embarrassed to tell anymore. Losing ones home used to be an embarrassing thing. Now people speak freely about it. Looking out my window right now at the people I have gotten to know well, I can tell some real sad stories they told me.

Anyway... the good news: I can clean house in just 15 minutes. A nice Saturday I wash and wax my home. If ever I get sick of my view or my neighbor I just turn the key and go. We know that it is senseless to make frivolous purchases such as nic nacs because there is no place to put them. We get to see and do things every day that most homeowners only get to do once a year when they take vacation. I get to sleep in my own bed with my own pillow no matter where I go. I am highly mobile and can move at the click of a finger.

The bads: Small shower though most RV parks have regular ones available. Due to little insulation in an RV it's harder to keep it comfortable in extreme temps. Sometimes nazi management in RV parks is uncomfortable. Some parks may pack you in like a Sardine or nickle and dime you for every little thing.

In the end our little home on wheels cost more then the median home price in America. We have more luxuries and other goodies in our home then any stick built home. We meet so many different people from all over the continent. You can get a better history and geography lesson then any school can ever teach.

Finially.....right now with my fingers on the keys I turn my head and look out the window over the water. There are the same dozen or so Great Blue Herons tippy toeing in the shalows catching their breakfast. There are tall White Egrets all over the shoreline also catching fish. The Mullet are jumping. Seabirds are scavaging what the low tide leaves them. The water is brackish so I can fish for Largemouth Bass or scoop Blue Claw Crab in the same water.

The only thing I regret is that we did not go full time sooner. There is nothing like it.

Last edited by RVer; 09-28-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM

I have learned the issue of the AC running in Arizona very quickly, but in the 2 years we were in Alaska the heat rarely shut off, and before that the summer in MN the AC ran for almost 3 months straight, only being shut off at night a handful of times. In the 5th wheel, our tanks can be taken out and filled . Right now we have been running on 1 tank for the last 2 months. I shut the water heater off as hard to get cold water out of the faucet...I have been doing dishes and/or running the dishwasher in the afternoon when the water is hot naturally. When I look at average temps in Dec and Jan in Casa Grande, I'm not too worried about the heating issue, as it should be minimal and mostly at night. We also brought an 'efficient' small electric heater that will do the job. We figured when we used it in AK at times, it cost about $5 a day and would pretty much heat our whole house up there, so this should not be an issue and cheaper than propane most likely. I have had to learn to cook quickly, either stovetop, microwave or outside grill, as turning the oven on now would be insane. We also do have the kitchen end under a tree for afternoon shade on the west side. I guess what we spend in the summer with cooling should be able to be recouped during the winter

I agree on the stories from people...we talked to quite a few when at the RV park for the month when getting here. Some stories are sad, and others I think are just using some sense and keeping their money by downsizing. Personally, I would have problems in a park long term with the rules and taking the dogs one by one out on a leash is a royal pain.

I work at home so the internet is a necessity for me, but I am free to do what needs to be done in between or during the day. Hubby is gone most of the week with work, so it is just Lizzy (GD) who is homeschooled, myself and the dogs, so the space issue is not all that bad. We took my desk down in the LR and brought our small freezer with us...the one in the unit just doesn't cut it as I refuse to go to the grocery store more than once a week at most! The freezer is getting moved to the garage for now so we have more inside space. I just got an herb garden started, and a few tomato and pepper plants I have in pots so can move them when the need arises for now. I guess where we are has some advantages in that aspect. We debated even when renting here whether to continue looking for a house, but I don't think at this point that we need to take that on again when we consider this 'house' is paid for....

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,936 times
Talking Full Timers

My wife and I will become full timers after Christmas, We are picking up our motor home Tuesday (tomarrow). I retired in 2006 and my wife retired this year so we said ....what the hell go for it..lol...
Our home sits on 2.5 acres and paid for, we may decide to sell it later on but not sure about that just yet. I have traveled all over the lower 48 and a lot of Canada because of my work but my wife hasn't traveled very much because of her job. My wife has always wanted to travel after she retired so that's what we are going to do...and of course our co-pilot will be riding shot gun with us...our Poodle...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,178 times
On average what would you say you spend a year being full time RVers? (the cost of living) My 12 year old son and I are talking about becoming full time RVers. We are unhappy where we are and are searching for our options.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 AM

We are just getting into this, but we did this for hubby's work...hauling mail from Phoenix to CO.

Our 5th wheel was paid for a couple years ago when we hauled it to Alaska. ($10,000) It is older but was in great shape, with 2 slides. Right now we stumbled upon a place to rent with hookups, 1-1/2 acres fenced with garage and chickens built in (and 3 new babies last week), so rent is $400 for us, but beats renting a house for $1000 or near, with an almost 12 year old and 3 dogs. We need to pay electric which we haven't gotten a bill for yet...not looking pretty with the AC running, but temps are going to cool down a bit so that will be cut back. We were told water about $50 a month. The internet I need to work is $30 a month. Good side is I have room to put in some type of garden, let the dogs out the door and not worry so much... I leave for shopping maybe once a week...so gas is a minor expense for me, but Jim drives to Phoenix and back, about 45 miles or so, about 10 times a month. I am tracking what it is costing, we'll see. I think it depends on where you go, the temperatures whether needing heat or AC..., work situation, school... I am sure RVer and Aus10 could give you a more accurate $ amount. You scale down, and store smart...We still brought too much crap from AK and it is going to go...you just learn what you need to be happy. Good luck

Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
My wife and I will become full timers after Christmas, We are picking up our motor home Tuesday (tomarrow). I retired in 2006 and my wife retired this year so we said ....what the hell go for it..lol...
Our home sits on 2.5 acres and paid for, we may decide to sell it later on but not sure about that just yet. I have traveled all over the lower 48 and a lot of Canada because of my work but my wife hasn't traveled very much because of her job. My wife has always wanted to travel after she retired so that's what we are going to do...and of course our co-pilot will be riding shot gun with us...our Poodle...
So plans, where are you going to go first? Share please....

Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 28,083 times
I also am looking at AZ for the winter. Im leaving Sitka,Alaska in Dec.Been in my RV since May but now the weather is too cold. Where is this RV park that your at? Sounds like a nice place. I also have a small dog. Are they pet friendly? I was looking at Sedona area. I would like a place that is warm year round. Any suggestions for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing