U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 AM

3,662 posts, read 7,531,950 times

Advertisements

I've heard alot of different suggestions about pop up trailers.
Should you have a bathroom?
Air conditioning?
2 way or 3 way fridge?
Indoor/ outdoor cooking?
How warm or waterproof are they?
What size vehicle can be used?
Price for used?
How old would you buy?
What to inspect when buying used?
Thinking of buying a used in good codition pop up type or pull behind light weight trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,010,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Air conditioning?
2 way or 3 way fridge?
Indoor/ outdoor cooking?
Price for used?
How old would you buy?
Thinking of buying a used in good codition pop up type or pull behind light weight trailer.
You may want to go and talk to a dealer. They may be your best shot at answering all of you questions.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
Quote:
Air conditioning?
2 way or 3 way fridge?
Indoor/ outdoor cooking?
Price for used?
How old would you buy?
Those are all good questions, but most of them are ones you need to answer for yourself. Most of these answers will depend on what you have in mind for a pop-up trailer. For example, would you want to have your own "private" bathroom? Would you only be camping somewhere with decent restroom facilities that you wouldn't mind walking to in the middle of the night? Would you ever want to camp in a primitive site with no restroom facilities? How you answer these questions will help you decide how to answer your question about a bathroom.

There are plenty of different models of pop-up trailers available because there are a huge variety of buyers purchasing them. Here are some questions you will need to consider before you start looking seriously for a good unit:

How many people will be using the trailer at one time?
What will you be towing it with?
Will you be using it in numerous seasons, or just in the summer?
Where are you interested in using it?
Do you want a bathroom (see questions above)?
Will you be cooking outdoors when the weather is good?
How many days at a time will you be using it?
Will you be setting up and taking down frequently?

How you answer these questions (and others like them) will help you make a better selection of pop-up trailer. For perspective, here's how I would answer those questions for my circumstances:

How many people will be using the trailer at one time?
I would usually just be with my two kids, but sometimes they may want to bring a friend or two along, so I would want capacity for at least six.

What will you be towing it with?
I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 that I would most likely be using as my tow vehicle. It has a 4000# towing capacity, so I would need a unit that weighs significantly less than that when dry.

Will you be using it in numerous seasons, or just in the summer?
I would mostly be using it in the summer, but might want to use it once in a while during spring or fall.

Where are you interested in using it?
I love traveling all over the western U.S. and would even like to see most of the east, so I would like the ability to take it almost anywhere. I enjoy primitive camping, so a fully self contained unit would be good for my needs.

Do you want a bathroom (see questions above)?
Because I enjoy primitive camping, I would like to have a bathroom. It wouldn't be a necessity, but it would be nice to have.

Will you be cooking outdoors when the weather is good?
I prefer outdoor cooking when I'm camping, so I might be interested in both indoor and outdoor cooking facilities. On the other hand, I already have a few different campstoves and portable grills, so I could easily use those instead.

How many days at a time will you be using it?
I would probably travel for up to two weeks at a time, so having a unit with enough storage for two weeks worth of clothing and other necessities would be good. Don't forget, you would need enough room for everyone's stuff, not just your own.

Will you be setting up and taking down frequently?
Since I like to travel around on my vacations, I rarely stay in the same place two nights in a row. For this reason, I would prefer a unit that is easy to set up and take down.

Hopefully, looking at these considerations will help you somewhat to decide what would meet your needs. Once these questions are answered, you can easily rule out any unit that does not meet your requirements.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:12 PM

3,662 posts, read 7,531,950 times
I've read on some sights that a bathroom can be a pain because of keeping it sanitized.
The 2 way 3 way fridge, which is used more?
How warm are they?
Do they withstand strong winds and driving rain?
We would be using only from late April till mid October, if its warm enough.
We would be taking a week at a time and weekends most likely.
Easy setting up and taking down is a must, we like to move around.
We would be towing with a minivan.
We would need a minimum of 6 people sleeping capacity, but since you mentioned kids friends, I think 8 would be best.

What would you recommend based on what you know? jdavid93225

Old 10-16-2009, 06:30 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
n a popup i'd pick a heard sdied one personally.I wouldn't want to be in Minna.in a sift sided one personally. Go to a hunting and camping show in the nearest big city to see alot of them.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
Quote:
I've read on some sights that a bathroom can be a pain because of keeping it sanitized.
The 2 way 3 way fridge, which is used more?
How warm are they?
Do they withstand strong winds and driving rain?
We would be using only from late April till mid October, if its warm enough.
We would be taking a week at a time and weekends most likely.
Easy setting up and taking down is a must, we like to move around.
We would be towing with a minivan.
We would need a minimum of 6 people sleeping capacity, but since you mentioned kids friends, I think 8 would be best.

What would you recommend based on what you know? jdavid93225
First of all, let me say, I don't own a pop-up. I have looked at several of them over the last couple of years, so that is where I have learned what I know about them (besides talking to people that have them). Most of the modern pop-ups are easy to set up and take down. Many of them can be raised by turning a crank. Some even have electric lifts, so all you have to do is push a button to raise them.

As far as camping with one during the April to October timeframe you mention, I don't think you would have too much difficulty due to weather for most of that time, though late spring and early fall storms are a very real possibility. For warmth, some units have propane heaters that are centrally located. I am not sure, but I think they would do okay for heating the main cabin area, but may not do so well with heating the beds. Someone that has one of these could tell you more about it. Personally, I would just ensure that I had good sleeping bags, and some extra bedding for those extra cold nights. When it comes to wind and rain, I've seen them used all over the western U.S., and can't recall any time that I've witnessed anyone having a problem with one due to weather (at least not a newer one). Some older units have leaks because of worn out fabric. Most of the time that I've been camping, rain and cold haven't really been that much of an issue during the summer months, so those around me with pop-up trailers haven't had much to worry about.

As far as the refrigerator goes, you'll have to think about where, and how, you'll use it. If you only plan to run it off propane, or to plug it in when in a campground with hookups, a two way fridge is fine. If you plan to run it off the unit batteries, you'll want a three way fridge. You might want to do this while you travel, provided the vehicle supplies 12V power to the trailer. My choice would be a three way fridge, because of the flexibility it provides.

When it comes to sanitizing the bathroom, I don't have much experience with that in camping trailers. I only have experience with a porta-potti that I used to use in my old truck camper. It wasn't very difficult to sanitize, because it could be removed from the camper for dumping and cleaning.

Another thing you'll want to keep in mind is your vehicle's towing capacity. It will affect the size of trailer you can tow. My truck is rated to tow 4000 lbs. and some of the larger pop-up trailers exceed that by a fair amount. For what my vehicle is rated to tow, I don't think I would exceed 3000 lbs. for dry (unloaded) trailer weight. In fact, I would try to keep it even lighter, if possible. Many of the smaller units are light enough to tow with a minivan. Most units around a ten foot "box size" will accommodate up to eight people, and weigh less than 3000 lbs.

Coleman is one of the largest manufacturers of these units, so you might want to check out what their website shows in the way of selection. Starcraft and Forest River are other popular manufacturers. Here are some links to help you get started in you search:

2009 Coleman® Camping Trailers | Coleman Trailers
STARCRAFT RV - Folding Camping Trailers (http://www.starcraftrv.com/starcraft_folding_campers/index.html - broken link)
Flagstaff Tent Campers Floorplans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing