Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM

354 posts, read 749,467 times

Advertisements

i have always loved driving, am a loner, dont wanna be stuck in one place or a job. now at age 37, im jobless and homeless. i am currently on a road trip/cruise USA/whatever happens point in my life. i loved sleeping in my car so much knowing i saved motel payments and loved this lifestyle so much. i plan to sell my MINI and buy a used roadtrek or camper van. my MUST have are bed, shower and toilet, and sink, microwave and ref! that's it! i dont need stove coz i dont cook anyway. im a single woman and unfortunately i think will be til i die ...

also if you are selling a used roadtrek or camper van pls. contact me. hopefully i can have an early retirement with my savings plus whatever remains after i sold my MINI and bought a camper van in CASH.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-15-2009 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Use Classifieds for advertising

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Just a little tip on the microwave/stove thing. Microwaves require AC current. Stoves and ovens work off of LP gas -- anywhere. We've gone camping for days and weeks at a time without plugging into AC power. It's often not available.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 AM

354 posts, read 749,467 times
good tip. i'd rather a grill using charcoal then. by the way the reason i decide to go FT RVing is coz well i cant find a job.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Roadtreks are on the high end of costs for comparables, but hold resale and are quite nicely done.
It will be tough for you to get the economy you might need with one, AND if it is your only home you might want something bigger. If a Van is the right size, consider finding a Sprinter being liquidated by DHL. Then add your necessary stuff. They will get 22-26 MPG and will run on alternative fuels (Waste cooking oil, used motor oil, Jet-A, Kerosene, canola oil...or Bio-diesel,
Biodiesel Appleseed Reactor Plans or even dino diesel).

For safe and peaceful abodes while traveling,
  • Check out some 'guest home directories' (Stays in private homes ~$10-$20 / night) I've done this for nearly 20 yrs, and it is great way to meet folks, know the area, and it is safe.
  • Look into workamping, US Forest Service stints (in cabins and campgrounds),
  • Couchsurfing.com
  • You might want to get a Hostel membership, they work well for singles. (great in SF / Calif coast)

I applaud your choice. Travel now, get some odd jobs, help others, learn some new skills.

Get a job later, when the competition subsides and wages rise, and energy costs will make travel too expensive.

Here is a good 'portable / versatile' cooking device. (propane grill / wok / oven)
CADAC Safari Chef Portable Propane Grill Reviews - Viewpoints

BTW, I too love to drive, and prefer to use 'guest homes' and tent camp / car sleep using my 52 MPG Diesel Passat Wagon ('96-97 production yrs, with 25 gal tank 1200 mile range!!!). I have a very nice & compact 'camping box' (foldout pantry / supplies / cook / prep surface). Nice and tidy, close-it up and go! It holds dinnerware, prep / cooking supplies, paper towels (on dispenser)/ coleman stove ... all about the size of those 'roller / carry-on luggage' ~20" x 12" x 24" high (folded up). I intend on making a magnetic tent / dining canopy to hook on the back of the car, similar to those in Europe. (they have some very small and efficient camping equipment)

50 mpg since 1976, where have you been? (No Dinosaurs or OPEC required)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-16-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Sorry, I need to add a couple things

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For safe and peaceful abodes while traveling,
  • consider joining an RV resort (Thousand Trails comes to mind, but is limited on US wide sites) You can get older 'Platinum' memberships for ~$1000 + annual fees ($300), that allow 365 days in park !!, new programs are quite limited. (Be careful and know what you are buying if you do this)

BTW#2 - good searching site for RV's = Crazedlist.org. You can search in 'non-rust-belts' and where there are lots of seniors (SW USA).

I use 'Camper van, conversion van, Sprinter, Roadtrek, Getaway, Great West, Pleasureway, Class B' ... as keywords
My Rialta is pretty sweet for 18-20 mpg travel. See Rialtaheaven.com for floor plans. These are not suited for 'offroad travel' + they need a $100 transmission cooler added, and always keep GOOD tires, less than 7 yrs old. (They are over loaded). I consider them a perfect 'woman's MH'. Mine is all set up for sewing and crafts. The Generator is nice, as is the 'Road medic' hot water on demand (~ 10 min of driving), and outdoor shower

Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM

66 posts, read 155,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
i have always loved driving, am a loner, dont wanna be stuck in one place or a job. now at age 37, im jobless and homeless. i am currently on a road trip/cruise USA/whatever happens point in my life. i loved sleeping in my car so much knowing i saved motel payments and loved this lifestyle so much. i plan to sell my MINI and buy a used roadtrek or camper van. my MUST have are bed, shower and toilet, and sink, microwave and ref! that's it! i dont need stove coz i dont cook anyway. im a single woman and unfortunately i think will be til i die ...

also if you are selling a used roadtrek or camper van pls. contact me. hopefully i can have an early retirement with my savings plus whatever remains after i sold my MINI and bought a camper van in CASH.
I do admire you despite what others may think of you. Most people have a fantasy of being a Tom Hanks on a deserted island while being put in a survival situation. Remember Castaway? Good movie. You are just doing it on the road.

I do wonder though how you are in complete survival mode when you have a brand new mini cooper and internet to post here. Not to mention how do you pay for gas? Are your 40 posts from a local library?

I live full time in a nice RV park. In years past all my fellow RVers were vacationers and weekenders. Today 98% of everyone in this RV park are here looking for work or have found work here and are permanant residents. Many lost their homes from layoffs, medical issues, or just gave up when their home was worth $200,000 less then their mortgage balance.

We just came back from a long trip to Florida's Emerald Coast. We stayed at nicer rest stops with security rather then pay for RV parks. Hey they are free and pretty safe. We might have to stop someplace every other day to fill up with water. Most all rest stops now have FREE dump stations. Mississippi has great rest areas for RVers. Louisiana sucks.

I seen people at these rest stops who obviously have no home other then the vehicle or RV they live in. They move from rest stop to rest stop and eat from the vending machines. They sometimes go into town to stock up on some canned goods or pull some tricks or scams to get some fresh hot food.

Life on the road can be a wonderful thing when one has no budget. It is a challenge with no money. Whatever the situation I can not really see us owning a real stick and stone built home anymore. I love being able to turn the key whenever I need a change of scenery. And the best part? Where ever we are, we have our own bed and pillow.

I wish you luck. But dont be so hard on yourself.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-16-2009 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Moderator's Note:

This forum is for the discussion of RVing and camping.

Quite frankly, living in a car and mooching free breakfasts at the local hotel doesn't fall under either heading.

Please stick with discussing the topics of the forum; all other material will be deleted.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing