U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Large RV drivers be required to have a Class "B" CDL?
YES! 16 45.71%
NO! 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,449,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I drive our 42" motorhome w/toad behind it. I don't have any problems until you put other drivers in the mix. The guy who passes you then cuts you off. The ones who don't know how to merge onto the freeway. The ones who can't use their turn signals. Or those who just are plain stupid.
You don't even have to drive an RV to experience these types of drivers. They are just more dangerous when an RV is involved due to longer stopping distances, larger mass, and other such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,449,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I can understand your point, and I think in some states (California?) an endorsement is required. I haven't seen a significant problem with class A motorhome drivers. If there is, and it's documented, then I'd be in favor of required testing. Some of them are monsters -- 5th wheels too. But until I see proof that they're causing accidents on the highway, I'm against more regulation.
California offers a "Class A Non-Commercial" license. It provides for special towing situations that most drivers won't normally encounter, but a few do. One example, if I'm not mistaken, is someone that tows a boat trailer behind their 5th wheel travel trailer. I don't know if special training or testing is involved in getting this type of license, but I would imagine so.

With a Noncommercial Class A License: Any vehicles under Class C.
  • travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.
  • 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs., not used for hire.
With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
livestock trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR if the vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport livestock to or from a farm, not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, and is used within 150 miles of the person's farm.

Here's where I found the info:
California Commercial Driver License Handbook - California Driver License Classes

Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,016,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I drive our 42" motorhome w/toad behind it. I don't have any problems until you put other drivers in the mix. The guy who passes you then cuts you off. The ones who don't know how to merge onto the freeway. The ones who can't use their turn signals. Or those who just are plain stupid.
What? Those are just the everyday four wheel drivers.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,051,808 times
I have a class D license and I can only handle driving a car on certain types of streets. I could never handle an RV, yet it would be legal for me and others like me to drive an RV. Makes you think...

There is a wide range of class D drivers. Some can barely drive while others could probably get a CDL if they wanted to. I don't think a class D license alone should be enough to drive an RV simply because you have no idea what someone's skill level is if they only have a class D license.

Just my $0.02

Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I have a class D license and I can only handle driving a car on certain types of streets. I could never handle an RV, yet it would be legal for me and others like me to drive an RV. Makes you think...

There is a wide range of class D drivers. Some can barely drive while others could probably get a CDL if they wanted to. I don't think a class D license alone should be enough to drive an RV simply because you have no idea what someone's skill level is if they only have a class D license.

Just my $0.02
Class D? Hum , that must be a state thing, I've never heard of that one.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,051,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Class D? Hum , that must be a state thing, I've never heard of that one.
It just means you can drive regular cars. Different states might call it by different names. I know Texas would call my license a class C license.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
I live just outside Crater Lake National Park, and we see some terrifying driving, often from drivers in what are clearly rental RVs. Our roads are two lane and fairly narrow and it's obvious these drivers have no idea how wide the vehicle is or what the turning radius is, much less what the stopping distance is. The roads inside the park are very narrow, often with steep drop-offs, and it's not uncommon to come around a corner and see a huge RV mostly in your lane because the driver is terrified of the dropoff on his/her side. I understand that, but where am I supposed to drive if you are in my lane?

Definitely some kind of additional training/practice is required, especially for people who either drive these behemoths once or twice a year or who have never driven one before.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM

643 posts, read 1,226,889 times
YES! Every RV driver should be trainer to drive them and ready to handle a variaty of things like STRONG wind ETC

Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
YES! Every RV driver should be trained to drive them and ready to handle a variaty of things like STRONG wind ETC
Maybe thats the key .

Not allowing them to "Buy and Drive", but that they attend a state authorized training course on (HOW TO DIVE THEM) when they buy it, before they get to take it out. You Know, for safety reasons out on the road.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,834,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Maybe thats the key .

Not allowing them to "Buy and Drive", but that they attend a state authorized training course on (HOW TO DIVE THEM) when they buy it, before they get to take it out. You Know, for safety reasons out on the road.
I think that's a great idea, for their safety and everyone else on the road. Just prove you can do it. I would bet the dealers would even pay for it if you bought a big enough rig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing