U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Large RV drivers be required to have a Class "B" CDL?
YES! 16 45.71%
NO! 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,036,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Yes. The physics of driving an RV or pulling a camper are very different from driving a "class C" passenger vehicle, particularly in situations that require hard braking or hard maneuvering. Big vehicles are an inherent menace and they are much more menacing with untrained drivers who are completely unaware of the danger that they pose to themselves and other motorists.

Also, the learning curve for parking, low-speed maneuvering and overhead clearance tends to be pretty steep. Even a small amount of training and practice goes a long way and would be certain to keep some money in a lot of people's pockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgjs_xf95w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnaIapEGPtA
OK but I think the stats show that an automobile accident occurs every 3 seconds in the USA and someone dies from an automobile accident every 12 minutes.......I would guess that the majority of those people were properly trained and legally licensed at the time......where did that get them?

Anyone can get a drivers license.....all it means is that you were able to pass the minimum requirements required by that state....great you passed with a "D".........

So do you think having to answer a few more questions on a written exam and having to drive your RV around the block with some funky from the local DMV, just so you can get a special license makes you a better driver?

No different then owning a credit card....sure you might have the necessary income to receive a credit card but that does not mean you have the smarts to use it properly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:01 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
But that combination of a 1-ton dually, a 37-foot fiver, and an additional towed car or boat is still privately owned for private use...A CDL is just that....a licence that is required to drive a commercially owned vehicle
Wrong. Not all commercial vehicles require a CDL, and a CDL or equivalent non-commercial endorsement is required to drive a tractor cab whether you're doing it for commercial purposes or because you just think it's cool to drive around in a Peterbilt.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM

3,662 posts, read 7,539,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Good point:

A CDL would actually be unneccessary, but I still think that a class B license is required.
A Class B is a CDL.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,427,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
OK but I think the stats show that an automobile accident occurs every 3 seconds in the USA and someone dies from an automobile accident every 12 minutes.......I would guess that the majority of those people were properly trained and legally licensed at the time......where did that get them?

Anyone can get a drivers license.....all it means is that you were able to pass the minimum requirements required by that state....great you passed with a "D".........

So do you think having to answer a few more questions on a written exam and having to drive your RV around the block with some funky from the local DMV, just so you can get a special license makes you a better driver?

No different then owning a credit card....sure you might have the necessary income to receive a credit card but that does not mean you have the smarts to use it properly

Well if we take your logic to the extreme, then driver's licenses of any sort mean nothing and should be abolished.

Of course a license is only a piece of paper and carries no guarantee that the holder will properly conduct themselves on the road -- but they do require that drivers at the very least demonstrate a minimum level of knowledge and capability for the class of vehicle they intend to drive.

I think the larger concern behind the thread topic is that anyone who has been deemed qualified to operate a passenger car can legally hop behind the wheel of a much larger and more complicated vehicle without demonstrating they have the slightest ability to perform even the most basic of manuevers.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wrong. Not all commercial vehicles require a CDL, and a CDL or equivalent non-commercial endorsement is required to drive a tractor cab whether you're doing it for commercial purposes or because you just think it's cool to drive around in a Peterbilt.
Well if you want to get picky then many Fire fighters, Law enforcement officers, certain active duty military personal, farmers and drivers of snow and ice removal trucks etc do not have to have CDL's....So yes there are exceptions to every rule.....

I still dont care what class license you may hold it still does not make you a better driver........So big brother tells me I have to have a special type of CDL to drive an RV.....so I take the test with a 31 ft class C....Now I have my CDL and its good for 10 years....Maybe I drive the class C 2-3 times a year on short trips to the lake for vacations...... Then 4-5 years later I go out and buy a 45 foot class A....dont have to worry about any driving school or anything because I already have my super special RV CDL...so away I go.....so what have we accomplished here besides me having to get a pretty little stamp on my license

Sorry I just dont understand where people think having a license makes everything better..... I have to have a license to own a dog in my city...does that make me an expert in animal care over someone that lives in a location that does not require a license......... Heck we all have to have a license to get married...does that make the married couple instantly better then a couple just living together...........

Last edited by rtandc; 01-28-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 10:55 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
When you partake in an activity that potentially endangers the lives of countless people around you by its very nature or operation, then yeah, the government has the right to expect you to demonstrate at least a minimal level of competency. You can sneer and call it "Big Brother" if you like, but no right is absolute, not even the right to pilot a 20,000 combination vehicle without any oversight whatsoever.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When you partake in an activity that potentially endangers the lives of countless people around you by its very nature or operation, then yeah, the government has the right to expect you to demonstrate at least a minimal level of competency. You can sneer and call it "Big Brother" if you like, but no right is absolute, not even the right to pilot a 20,000 combination vehicle without any oversight whatsoever.

We all partake in activities that potentially endangers lives of countless people every day of our lives...what is so special about an RV.....Everyone is wanting to cry...but is so different then driving a car....well yeah I guess size wise it might be but other then that nothing is really that different between the vehicles.... its no different then someone driving around in a little smart car and then hop out of it and get behind the wheel of a Ford F350 PU but no one has any problems with that...I mean if we are going to follow your theory then should we not have to retake our driving test every time we buy a new vehicle...come on if we going to invite the govenment in, lets allow him all of the way in the door......Here I am 50 years old......Received my license when I was 16 by driving the local dmv guy around the block once in a 1971 Ford Pinto......Some 30 odd years later I have owned somewhere around 30-40 different vehicles including boats, MC's and RV's and have never once had to retest to renew my license....and look at the major changes that have been made to vehicles during that time frame.....But now all of the sudden you want everyone that has an RV to have to obtain a CDL because you think it will make them a better driver?

Last edited by rtandc; 01-29-2010 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Back OT, and no flaming intended...

As a CDL holder of 30+ yrs, I wouldn't want to see the CDL be used to imply someone can drive an RV, (or a CV for that matter...). There are many regulations associated with the CDL which would be inappropriate for RVs (nice to know, but they don't need it) plus the expense of being in a random drug testing program (got drawn 4 times last yr at $80 per whack, and no I've never done drugs...). I can imagine Joe RV's response to ZERO tolerance in DUI for CDL holders.

I would also not want to pollute the regs with another class, tho quite honestly, anyone driving a towed vehicle or single w/weight in excess of their experience should be required to have training. (and having a brain would be nice too!, but we all make mistakes in certain instances, it would be great to be 'super-human')

This subject is not so different than 'universal healthcare' (great, now what do we do) Lets ask a politician??? any posters want to confess THAT ?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,401,654 times
I'm very happy to leave it up to the insurance companies whether or not RVers need additional training. I believe RVers as a whole are fairly safe drivers. If my insurance company offered me a big discount to attend RV driving school or get a CDL, I'd consider it. If it made much difference in accident prevention, they probably would.

Where most new RVers have problems with their big rigs is around their homes, parking lots, campgrounds, etc. -- backing into spaces, cutting corners too sharp, hitting overhead branches, dropping a 5er onto the truck rails, etc. These can be somewhat costly and embarrassing, but they're seldom life-threatening accidents.

I wish this poll would have asked each voter if they have any experience driving an RV. Those who have never tried it aren't very good judges unless there's some strong evidence indicating CDLs are needed. Convince me with facts and numbers or leave it alone.

I've been driving RVs for 45 years. I've had two real (minor) accidents and a couple other dents from stationery objects. I can't imagine how having a CDL would have prevented any of them.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM

740 posts, read 1,763,127 times
I say no, though i personally think people over 70 need to be tested frequently for their driving ability. I just got tagged by an 86 year old lady while i was sitting still waiting to turn left. Keep in mind i have a full sized dark blue pickup with a white canopy, and she "didn't see me". She had a walker and everything and SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRIVING. And this was on a clear day in broad daylight. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing