Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Large RV drivers be required to have a Class "B" CDL?
YES! 16 45.71%
NO! 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times

Advertisements

I think they should be licensed or at least have training on turning and backing. I have a CDL Class B. Once you learn its really easy to drive a large "vehicle". I couldn't believe it when I found out that no extra training is required to drive a large RV. Next time you come "head on" with a "monster RV" in a tight space, think about that drivers ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Well, so far we're even up on the points, 50/50 isn't bad. But I'd like to see each state at least require the new RV owner to go through some kind of formal training on maneuverability. Just to much can go wrong all at one time :~(

Old 01-24-2010, 02:05 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I voted no because I had a CDL. You're required by federal law to have a physical every 2 year. Can't get your license without that card from the doctor saying you won't fall dead tomorrow. Maybe that part is good. But why have to go through all that plus paying $50 for the license for something that you won't drive more than 3 or 4 times a year? And like the others have said, having a CDL does not make you a good driver! Camper 1, to get your CDL you have to pass written tests. General knowledge for sure then I'm not sure which others you'd have to have for a class B. You have to pay to take them. Then you can't drive anything like like what you're getting the CDL for without someone who already has that CDL riding with you. THEN you have to take a driving test on a set up course. Backing up, driving between the cones, etc.
Friend of my parents said driving an RV is driving a conversion van with a thyroid problem.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I always wondered why no CDL was required to drive one of those rigs. On the other hand, I don't believe there is any sort of epidemic of RV-related accidents, so I'm not altogether certain requiring a CDL would accomplish much other than to give government busybodies something else to do.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I'll show my age here but I miss seeing the truck campers with the bunk over the cab of the pick up. Always used to see kids laying up there waving at you! lol

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Why would anyone think a CDL should be required...why would someone need a Commercial drivers license to drive a personal owned vehicle

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Why would anyone think a CDL should be required...why would someone need a Commercial drivers license to drive a personal owned vehicle

Because safely driving a combination of a 1-ton dually, a 37-foot fiver, and an additional towed car or boat may require a slightly more advanced skill set than that required for navigating a Toyota Yaris?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Because safely driving a combination of a 1-ton dually, a 37-foot fiver, and an additional towed car or boat may require a slightly more advanced skill set than that required for navigating a Toyota Yaris?

But that combination of a 1-ton dually, a 37-foot fiver, and an additional towed car or boat is still privately owned for private use...A CDL is just that....a licence that is required to drive a commercially owned vehicle

Heck I still have a motor cycle class attachment on my license but have not been on a MC in 20-25 years....so just because I have a license does not mean I still know how to operate one

I still remember what a judge told one of my kids years ago when she was getting her license for the first time......He stated all a drivers license means is that you were smart enough to fill out the paperwork properly

Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Should a CDL "class B" at minimum be required to drive a large (class A) RV, especially if they have any kind of a trailer or other vehicle attached to it in tow?

I ask this because to often you see a person driving one of these monster rigs and have no clue of it turning radius or its drive wheels off-tracking. I have seen to many of these large RV drivers that can't park or do simple backing maneuvers.

YES!

or

NO!

And why or why not?

Sorry guys and gals. But I say (YES) they should be required to have a CDL, just because some if not most of them can be a menace on the highway, if they're not qualified or trained to drive such a large vehicle.
Yes. The physics of driving an RV or pulling a camper are very different from driving a "class C" passenger vehicle, particularly in situations that require hard braking or hard maneuvering. Big vehicles are an inherent menace and they are much more menacing with untrained drivers who are completely unaware of the danger that they pose to themselves and other motorists.

Also, the learning curve for parking, low-speed maneuvering and overhead clearance tends to be pretty steep. Even a small amount of training and practice goes a long way and would be certain to keep some money in a lot of people's pockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgjs_xf95w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnaIapEGPtA

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
But that combination of a 1-ton dually, a 37-foot fiver, and an additional towed car or boat is still privately owned for private use...A CDL is just that....a licence that is required to drive a commercially owned vehicle

Heck I still have a motor cycle class attachment on my license but have not been on a MC in 20-25 years....so just because I have a license does not mean I still know how to operate one

I still remember what a judge told one of my kids years ago when she was getting her license for the first time......He stated all a drivers license means is that you were smart enough to fill out the paperwork properly
Good point:

A CDL would actually be unneccessary, but I still think that a class B license is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing