U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Large RV drivers be required to have a Class "B" CDL?
YES! 16 45.71%
NO! 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,025,678 times

Advertisements

Should a CDL "class B" at minimum be required to drive a large (class A) RV, especially if they have any kind of a trailer or other vehicle attached to it in tow?

I ask this because to often you see a person driving one of these monster rigs and have no clue of it turning radius or its drive wheels off-tracking. I have seen to many of these large RV drivers that can't park or do simple backing maneuvers.

YES!

or

NO!

And why or why not?

Sorry guys and gals. But I say (YES) they should be required to have a CDL, just because some if not most of them can be a menace on the highway, if they're not qualified or trained to drive such a large vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,365,084 times
As a trucker, there are days when I think that's a WONDERFUL idea... However, I see the absolute nonsense and bureaucracy involved with holding a CDL and I DEFINITELY don't think that we need even more of it. I'm of the mind that anyone willing to spend a large chunk of change on an RV is not going to hit the road without SOME idea of what they're doing. I wasn't even a seasoned pro after 30 days of truck driving school and another 30 days with my excellent company trainer. Only experience (and LOTS of it) is what makes you good behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Besides, I believe the AARP and other organizations would fight it tooth-and-nail. And, ultimately, I'm with them on that. (Better training for car drivers? Maybe THAT'S a better idea...)

Remember: What's worse; having a problem. Or having the government "solve" it for you...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,365,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

I ask this because to often you see a person driving one of these monster rigs and have no clue of it turning radius or its drive wheels off-tracking. I have seen to many of these large RV drivers that can't park or do simple backing maneuvers.
I invite you to spend some time at the distribution center I pull loads out of. Some of my fellow "professionals" make an RV-er on their first trip out look good...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,916,565 times
I voted no but that said I think the drivers license should have some type of endorsement that he/she was qualified to drive it.

Here in NJ if you want to drive a motorcyle you need to take a test to show you know what you are doing and then an endosement is added to your regular drivers license...something along those lines....

Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 AM

11,943 posts, read 12,844,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I voted no but that said I think the drivers license should have some type of endorsement that he/she was qualified to drive it.

Here in NJ if you want to drive a motorcyle you need to take a test to show you know what you are doing and then an endosement is added to your regular drivers license...something along those lines....
That was my thought exactly. I don't think the extra charge for an extra license should be required ( we pay enough as it is) but I do think you should have to prove you can do it first and then just add something to the current license. This would be for their safety and ours.

Good thought for a post. it will be interesting to read some responses.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
That was my thought exactly. I don't think the extra charge for an extra license should be required ( we pay enough as it is) but I do think you should have to prove you can do it first and then just add something to the current license. This would be for their safety and ours.

Good thought for a post. it will be interesting to read some responses.
Actually I like what you both said about the endorement, thats a good idea. But not just to show you know how to drive it, but that you went thru the proper training to drive it.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Actually I like what you both said about the endorement, thats a good idea. But not just to show you know how to drive it, but that you went thru the proper training to drive it.
By proper training you mean a special class? What if you were trained by a friend or family member. Wouldn't it be enough to prove that you can do it? I'm not much on some of theses classes where anyone can pass. Look at some of the people that drive cars. My poor old mom NEVER should have been given a license.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
By proper training you mean a special class? What if you were trained by a friend or family member. Wouldn't it be enough to prove that you can do it? I'm not much on some of theses classes where anyone can pass. Look at some of the people that drive cars. My poor old mom NEVER should have been given a license.
Here in Ohio I helped to set up one of the first Motorcycle training courses and it was all set my Ohios laws. Some of the information that is given in these courses are based on real word experience, like truck drivers. Its the tests that fail the people, not the training or lack there of. If your friend put you thru some good scenarios and showed you good driving technics when it comes to a large vehicle like the Class (A) camper. Then you should have no problem passing an endorsement test if needed. But some of these people I see on the road driving them, I know they wouldn't even be able to pass a physical let alone the driving test for even the CDL class (B). And thats what scares me.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Here in Ohio I helped to set up one of the first Motorcycle training courses and it was all set my Ohios laws. Some of the information that is given in these courses are based on real word experience, like truck drivers. Its the tests that fail the people, not the training or lack there of. If your friend put you thru some good scenarios and showed you good driving technics when it comes to a large vehicle like the Class (A) camper. Then you should have no problem passing an endorsement test if needed. But some of these people I see on the road driving them, I know they wouldn't even be able to pass a physical let alone the driving test for even the CDL class (B). And thats what scares me.

Oh, you don't want ME driving one. I'm dangerous enough on my little electric scooter! I'm all passenger on our trips!!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, you don't want ME driving one. I'm dangerous enough on my little electric scooter! I'm all passenger on our trips!!
You'd be surprised how eazy it is. Or, as Paula Deen says, "Thats stupid eazy", my wife is a Paula Deen fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing