Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 PM

37,474 posts, read 45,706,263 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to go camping (popup) with someone I've not been with before. He's a real outdoorsy guy, and loves kayaking and hiking and all that, but he's a restless soul. He can't go much over an hour or so doing "nothing", and frankly I'm not far behind him in that respect.

In the summer I wouldn't even be asking, since we'd have plenty of daylight to do stuff. But now that it is getting dark so early, what do you folks do to keep yourselves busy for that 5 or 6 hours before hitting the sack? Obviously building a campfire is tops on the list, and I'll be making smores. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,916,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm getting ready to go camping (popup) with someone I've not been with before. He's a real outdoorsy guy, and loves kayaking and hiking and all that, but he's a restless soul. He can't go much over an hour or so doing "nothing", and frankly I'm not far behind him in that respect.

In the summer I wouldn't even be asking, since we'd have plenty of daylight to do stuff. But now that it is getting dark so early, what do you folks do to keep yourselves busy for that 5 or 6 hours before hitting the sack? Obviously building a campfire is tops on the list, and I'll be making smores. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, just had to do it!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Now now...we can't spend ALL our time doing THAT!

Anyone else?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,160,716 times

Me too.

We always have a deck of cards in the camper.

Where are you going camping? In other words, what kind of weather do you expect?

We're night people, so we're used to doing the campfire thing after dark, even cooking over it. We'll easily spend 5-6 hours around the campfire. It takes a couple hours to get a perfect bed of coals, then another hour or two of cooking. After dinner you gotta build the fire back up for marshmallows, then you gotta sit and wait for the fire to burn out. Bring lots of wood.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,624 posts, read 57,628,813 times
hobo stew (cook in fire,) then puzzles. Bring a couple small ones, and give him one that is in the wrong box (picture doesn't match puzzle) . Good to rub off the sharp edges, UNLESS he's too competitive and would take offense .... you might want to save that for next time, could be a very cold night !

I also like wooden puzzles that can be made in different configurations (Soma cube)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_cube

Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,731,828 times
If you have a telescope you could have some fun. Also, talking - you'll have plenty of time to get to know each other.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
If you have a telescope you could have some fun. Also, talking - you'll have plenty of time to get to know each other.
We know each other plenty well.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Me too.

We always have a deck of cards in the camper.

Where are you going camping? In other words, what kind of weather do you expect?

We're night people, so we're used to doing the campfire thing after dark, even cooking over it. We'll easily spend 5-6 hours around the campfire. It takes a couple hours to get a perfect bed of coals, then another hour or two of cooking. After dinner you gotta build the fire back up for marshmallows, then you gotta sit and wait for the fire to burn out. Bring lots of wood.
We are going this weekend - temps in the low 50's so it should be nice. Sitting around the campfire for hours is great for others - I understand that. But he'll go stark raving mad if he has to sit there and watch the stars for hours. The puzzles might work...I think I'd get tired of cards though. Yes we'll have plenty of wood. Figuring out dinner for our first time, might just take up enough time that getting bored won't be an issue. We're keeping it simple....hot dogs and chips.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,731,828 times
How about trying your hand at whittling - you'll have plenty of wood on hand. Just be careful not to cut yourselves though.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,916,601 times
We always take the cards and dice plus some board games. A lot of the silly games we used to play with the kiddo when she was small and go with us. You'd be surprised at how much fun that kind of stuff can be. Then there is always meeting other people around the camp ground.

Now, did HE invite YOU? Maybe he has some stuff planned...

and if all else fails ( wink, wink)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing