U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,454,400 times

Advertisements

This topic came up in another thread, and I thought it would be a good subject for a thread of its own.

What are some ideas you all have about what gifts to give, or great gifts you've received, that were to be used for camping.

When providing your responses, try to include a general price range from the following (if known):

<$20
$20-50
$50-100
$100-250
$250-500
>$500

Here are a couple things that came to mind for me, that I would use for primitive camping, that I would have liked to get as gifts (though I bought them myself instead):

Solar Shower (<$20) - A simple way to use solar heating to provide warm water for showering, as well as for KP duties.

Shower enclosure ($20-50, $50-100) - This portable shower enclosure is about 3 ft. 6 in. square, and includes a hanger for a solar shower. It provides privacy for taking a shower while camping, but must be used in the afternoon if you want to use the solar heated water. Mine is a cheap one from Wal-mart (~$25), but there are others that are much nicer, and priced accordingly.

Camp Kitchen ($50-100, $100-250) - There are camp kitchens available for various price ranges, but the one I have now sells for about $150 at Cabelas regular price. I got it on sale a few years ago for about $100. This is also used mostly for primitive camping, and provides ample space for food preparation, as well as room for cleaning up after dinner. Mine even came with "the kitchen sink," so I can wash dishes easily once the meal ends. It even has "cupboards" for food and cooking utensil storage.

Camp Chef 3 burner stove ($100-250) - I have a Camp Chef 3 burner propane stove that is great for camping with a large crowd. It came with a BBQ box that allows me to use it as a gas grill, in addition to its use as a stove. I also bought the accessory griddle that fits over two of the burners for easy pancake preparation.

Well, those are a few of my favorite camping items that I think would make great gifts for the campers among us. Feel free to add your favorite gift items to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,023,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
This topic came up in another thread, and I thought it would be a good subject for a thread of its own.

What are some ideas you all have about what gifts to give, or great gifts you've received, that were to be used for camping.

When providing your responses, try to include a general price range from the following (if known):

<$20
$20-50
$50-100
$100-250
$250-500
>$500

Here are a couple things that came to mind for me, that I would use for primitive camping, that I would have liked to get as gifts (though I bought them myself instead):

Solar Shower (<$20) - A simple way to use solar heating to provide warm water for showering, as well as for KP duties.

Shower enclosure ($20-50, $50-100) - This portable shower enclosure is about 3 ft. 6 in. square, and includes a hanger for a solar shower. It provides privacy for taking a shower while camping, but must be used in the afternoon if you want to use the solar heated water. Mine is a cheap one from Wal-mart (~$25), but there are others that are much nicer, and priced accordingly.

Camp Kitchen ($50-100, $100-250) - There are camp kitchens available for various price ranges, but the one I have now sells for about $150 at Cabelas regular price. I got it on sale a few years ago for about $100. This is also used mostly for primitive camping, and provides ample space for food preparation, as well as room for cleaning up after dinner. Mine even came with "the kitchen sink," so I can wash dishes easily once the meal ends. It even has "cupboards" for food and cooking utensil storage.

Camp Chef 3 burner stove ($100-250) - I have a Camp Chef 3 burner propane stove that is great for camping with a large crowd. It came with a BBQ box that allows me to use it as a gas grill, in addition to its use as a stove. I also bought the accessory griddle that fits over two of the burners for easy pancake preparation.

Well, those are a few of my favorite camping items that I think would make great gifts for the campers among us. Feel free to add your favorite gift items to the list.
I like the shower enclosure idea, the wife and I are looking into this one. I'm 6'1" tall and its hard if not impossible for me to use the shower thats in our camper. So we've been looking at some of the outside shower enclosures. We have a faucet & shower head on the outside, so it would be nice to attach it to the side of the camper. I don't like using the camp showers because lots of times either they have no hot water or they need cleaned real bad. I see the WalMart has a nice tall and wide one for sale, so I guess we're just going to have to start taking it with us.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 AM

11,943 posts, read 12,841,501 times
My problem is there isn't a bunch out there that I don't already have. I lost my favorite flash light last week when someone got into the trailer. Really bummed me out. It is parked right out in front of the house and we are ( or used to be ) in a really safe hood, but I left it unlocked for a few days and some creep just walked in and took the stereo combo thing that comes with the units, and my FLASHLIGHT!!!!!! I loved that flashlight. it was nothing special but I found it on one of our trips. it was a " treasure" as we call them.

Now as for what I would LIKE for Christmas.... not going to happen. I have my eye on a new trailer!!!! I have GOT to hold on to this one for a few more years and I reallllllly do love this trailer. But there is always the dream that the magic could come true. ha ha. Naw, I wouldn't waste magic on something like that. But I just might ask for a new flashlight.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM

9,421 posts, read 17,417,313 times
A weather radio would be nice.

I've also seen these gas-powered "firepit" thingies that look nice for when open fires are banned.

And I've seen some nice gas grills that fold up small for camping.

Don't ask me prices. I think weather radios are fairly inexpensive, and the firepit and grill would be in the $100-$200 range.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:24 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,841,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
A weather radio would be nice.

I've also seen these gas-powered "firepit" thingies that look nice for when open fires are banned.

And I've seen some nice gas grills that fold up small for camping.

Don't ask me prices. I think weather radios are fairly inexpensive, and the firepit and grill would be in the $100-$200 range.
I have the fire pit thingie ( from camping world) and it's about $150.00 when not on sale for $99.00. All I can say is it's worth every penny!! Got it last year for Valentine's day.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

12,450 posts, read 31,556,383 times
Anyone want a B&W 3 way TV? Like Brand New but you need Converbox that only works on electric to use it!!
I would love to have an older 3 way flashlight! The kind that has Florcent lite on it! they dont seem to make them any more.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Cadac Safari Chef Grill 5-in-1 Portable Cooking
(Propane BBQ, Cooker, Pot, Wok, Grill, griddle combo), very compact. I got mine on sale for $44. They seem to be 2x that at the moment, but look around, nice carrying case and ez to stow

Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM

32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Totes Emergency Cell Phone Charger with LED Flashlight (It charges your cellphone any time/anywhere).

Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,454,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I like the shower enclosure idea, the wife and I are looking into this one. I'm 6'1" tall and its hard if not impossible for me to use the shower thats in our camper. So we've been looking at some of the outside shower enclosures. We have a faucet & shower head on the outside, so it would be nice to attach it to the side of the camper. I don't like using the camp showers because lots of times either they have no hot water or they need cleaned real bad. I see the WalMart has a nice tall and wide one for sale, so I guess we're just going to have to start taking it with us.
The shower enclosure I have was purchased at Walmart. The one they sell now is a little bigger than mine, but is basically the same design. Mine is 3.5 ft. square, while the new ones are 4 ft. square. I would prefer the larger size, but mine works fine the way it is, so I can't complain about it. I use solar showers with mine, and have found it works well, at least the few times I've used it. It's nice to have a way to take a shower after a long day of playing outdoors in the woods. For the price, I'd say it was a good deal. I also have a bucket toilet that can be used in the enclosure when other facilities aren't available. We generally set it outside the enclosure when it's not being used, to prevent causing the enclosure to stink.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:35 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,023,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The shower enclosure I have was purchased at Walmart. The one they sell now is a little bigger than mine, but is basically the same design. Mine is 3.5 ft. square, while the new ones are 4 ft. square. I would prefer the larger size, but mine works fine the way it is, so I can't complain about it. I use solar showers with mine, and have found it works well, at least the few times I've used it. It's nice to have a way to take a shower after a long day of playing outdoors in the woods. For the price, I'd say it was a good deal. I also have a bucket toilet that can be used in the enclosure when other facilities aren't available. We generally set it outside the enclosure when it's not being used, to prevent causing the enclosure to stink.
Did you have to order it through WalliMart, or did they have it in stock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing