U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,391,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1104 View Post
My wife & I are retired and are doing our homework to go full time in a class a motorhome. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Here's our current situation: Our monthly expenses (rent & utilities) come to $1000/mo and we can more than afford that. We will not have an apartment or house to support. We'll be living in the motorhome until I can't drive anymore. We just bought a 2012 Kia Soul that will be coming with us (payments are $260/mo). We will be financing the motorhome. We're not looking for luxury, just an affordable home that we can take with us while we travel. Most of the year it will be just the 2 of us and the grandkids for about a month when they are out of school. We plan to buy the motorhome either Fall of 2013 or 2014, depending on how fast we can get all our ducks in a row. Thanks for your help.
Check out the 2013 Fleetwood Bounder Classics. The floorplans are practical, lots of storage, and the materials make it easy to clean. They aren't "fancy-schmancy," they are "just right."

2013 Bounder Classic by Fleetwood RV

You can get a low interest rate and finance for 20 years. The advantage is that you can write the interet off on your taxes, which should put you in a better financial position than you are with renting! Don't be affraid to offer 10%-15% less than the asking price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,391,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1104 View Post
My wife & I are retired and are doing our homework to go full time in a class a motorhome. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Here's our current situation: Our monthly expenses (rent & utilities) come to $1000/mo and we can more than afford that. We will not have an apartment or house to support. We'll be living in the motorhome until I can't drive anymore. We just bought a 2012 Kia Soul that will be coming with us (payments are $260/mo). We will be financing the motorhome. We're not looking for luxury, just an affordable home that we can take with us while we travel. Most of the year it will be just the 2 of us and the grandkids for about a month when they are out of school. We plan to buy the motorhome either Fall of 2013 or 2014, depending on how fast we can get all our ducks in a row. Thanks for your help.
Check out the 2013 Fleetwood Bounder Classics. The floorplans are practical, lots of storage, and the materials make it easy to clean. They aren't "fancy-schmancy," they are "just right."

2013 Bounder Classic by Fleetwood RV

You can get a low interest rate and finance for 20 years. The advantage is that you can write the interest off on your taxes, which should put you in a better financial position than you are with renting! Don't be affraid to offer 10%-15% less than the asking price.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,077 times
Thank you everyone. Great tips. Searching now to see if it is something we can do.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,024,332 times
Right now, we are in an RV park in central KS and the "snowbirds" are moving from the north to mostly TX. They are in the park and on the highway sailing by. You see everything from small travel trailers and motorhomes to 40 foot Class A's and a micro-mini motorhome just went by the window. We lived in AZ for 6 years and could not believe the number of people on wheels. In this same park, we have 3 or 4 units that belong to families of guy doing construction work that travel from site to site with one having baby in tow. Full-timing or part-timing (fleeing the cold winters and high heat bills) can make a lot of sense. We were in AL for 2 years and it had become a spot for those fleeing my home state of Michigan. Some work on the road. I know that Amazon, south of us hires employees for the Christmas rush but you have to be prepared for winter which takes a little education and skill when on wheels. I just can't believe the constant stream of RVs on the highway. You spend a great deal of money in the lifestyle or do it on a limited budget and you can't do that with many lifestyles these days.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
Hi, I am looking for the max sq ft class A motor home at a max 28 ft. Does anyone have solid lead not "check the dealers " response. Sorry for being so blunt. Raymond. [email]omegalfa2012@gmail.com[/email]

Old 06-22-2017, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 915 times
Smile Loving it

I have been living out of my 29 ft. Keystone Cougar travel trailer for almost two years.

Me and my 3 felines enjoy it, I am living on less than 9,000.00 dollars a year, far cheaper than living in a apartment with the high cost of rent

Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 AM

691 posts, read 1,475,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1262 View Post
I have been living out of my 29 ft. Keystone Cougar travel trailer for almost two years.

Me and my 3 felines enjoy it, I am living on less than 9,000.00 dollars a year, far cheaper than living in a apartment with the high cost of rent

Does the 9K count rental space? or do you have your own land? Where are you parking or are you traveling the country?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 915 times
Smile It can be done.

I figured in rent space, propane and electric. I live very frugally on what's left.

I also shop around for the best price on Rv rates for long-term space rent

In Oregon there's quite a bit more choices for long-term RV living. If you are willing to stay away from the big cities.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1262 View Post
I figured in rent space, propane and electric. I live very frugally on what's left.

I also shop around for the best price on Rv rates for long-term space rent

In Oregon there's quite a bit more choices for long-term RV living. If you are willing to stay away from the big cities.

What is your average space rent? is seldom see lots rent for under $300 / month and utilities can reach that amount too. so you must be very frugal.

I need lessons;
Feed the family on $100 / month
utilities $70 / month + cell phone ($30/ month for data+V)
Fuel = free cooking oil since 1976
Property taxes $1700 / month
Healthcare $2,200 / month (thus we have none)

Old 07-02-2017, 03:53 PM

323 posts, read 1,552,682 times
Does anyone happen to know of good RV parks to live in year round in Western north Carolina?
Electric? Dump? Water?
Allow dogs?I have two small breed dogs.
Safe?
Rates?
I am in NY state right now. Just bought a Class C. But wanting to return to NC, except not the larger cities. I want to live in an RV park while I scope out different areas
Much appreciated if you can direct me to the right places. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing