U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:59 AM

9,416 posts, read 17,385,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I think she's actually correct in that the Feds (H.U.D.) set the limits on the maximum square footage of RVs with the recommendation from the RVIA. A few years ago, all RVs, including park models were limited to 400 square feet....
That's what I was referring to. IIRC a different set of manufacturing codes go into effect above 400 sq ft -- basically from RVs to mobile homes I'd imagine.

I've seen photos/floor plans of a few rare custom 5ers that seem to be over 400 sq ft, but I'm not sure if they are or not. I'm not aware of any mainstream 5ers beyond 400 sq ft, and that INCLUDES SLIDE-OUTS. If I remember correctly, the Carri-lite 36Max1 with the "full-length" slide-out is 396 sq ft. Floorplan

But I ain't no "she".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,368,068 times
(*lol* sorry about that ...I got mixed up on who wrote what.)

Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,501,920 times
We're (man, myself, granddaughter and 3 dogs) living in a 5th Wheel since August. I work at home and GD is homeschooled for this year. We found a reasonable place to rent with hookups and a garage, all fenced for the animal people... I found I don't like when the winds gust so much, so we are redoing the garage for living quarters which already had 2 rooms built in it... we are somewhere between the ?... but we are doing fine in the RV...stuff gets to be an issue...storage, storage, storage...

Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_Mann View Post
We just came off the road as fulltime RVers after more than 3.5 years and 27 states. We workcamped just about everywhere we stayed. We really enjoyed our travels. We stayed and worked on the edge of the Mojave (Yermo, CA), Greenport, Long Island, Pidgeon Forge, TN, Bar Harbor, ME, The Poconos of PA and more...
I was just reading this thread and noticed you mentioned Long Island and Greenport, are you sying you managed to workcamp in this area?

We are looking into Rving full time, and I have a job lead in Brooklyn, it would be ideal if my boyfriend could workcamp in exchange for a place to hook up on the island while I work.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,995 times
We have been full-timing for 6 years, although we just bought a sticks-n-bricks vacation home. The key to full timing, (and this is my opinion) is to first figure out how you are going to travel? Are you going to go to an area and stay sitting for awhile? A fiver has more "living" space, but to me anyway was not as convenient with set up and take down. A Class A usually has more storage space, and is definitely the easiest use wise. A Class C can get around a lot easier than either of those, and doesn't take as much to get used to driving.

Then you need to decide what kind of campgrounds/RV parks you want. Most state parks are more economical, however, most also tend to be tighter space wise and the larger rigs will sometimes have trouble. Also 50 amp service is usually hit and miss. (Most larger rigs will have 50 amp these days.)

Next think about how you do your normal day to day living? Do you prefer to eat gourmet meals, or is outdoor BBQ's more your thing? Most RV kitchens are small, but some models do provide more room than others. A trick we've learned over the course of time, is to sit down in each model you look at and think about your daily life. Do you want or need a King bed? Do you need extra sleeping room for guests or kids? Remember... that not only will you be "vacationing" you will also be "living." Try to picture where you will put your things.

And... pick a floor plan you like. The worst thing you can do is buy something you dislike, even if the price is right, because inevitabely you will want something else. Once you figure out what kind of RV will work for you best, then the floor plan...start comparing the different brands. Do your due diligence, here, on the net, and in person. Talk to as many folks as you can. Dealers too. The difference in quality can be astounding with these things. A bad quality rig will cost you more in the long run, and will turn your experience sour quickly. You are buying basically a house sitting on top a car. But remember too, that all rigs have problems in some way or another usually. So expect that. With that being said, make sure that the dealer (if you are using a dealer and not buying from an individual) has a good service record, and that the manufacturer has a good record as well. Be careful not to buy an orphan because lots of RV manufacturers have gone out of business as of late.

Best of luck... we RVer's are a friendly bunch so any other questions...just ask...

Aus10
42' Tiffin Phaeton

Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM

6,236 posts, read 4,721,373 times
There are all sorts of Rvers. I did some research a few years ago and found that there were an estimated 200,000 full timers. Many do that for many, many years but quite often this is a lifestyle that changes after a few years.

I am not sure that I will ever do full time. I would like to start out at maybe 75% with breaks after every month or two. My wife and I will NOT be looking for a big rig. In fact I doubt I want to spend much time in any area that is readily accessible by those rigs. We will be doing nature and landscape photography often in remote areas. A slide on truck camper will be more than enough space. In fact the majority of the new campers are really huge and we will be looking for a light weight smaller model. If you do decide on a big rig, plan on spending plenty of time with the care and feeding of that beast.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 AM

9 posts, read 66,643 times
would like to know if anyone has bought a 5th wheel to live in permantely without traveling. I
am considering selling my home, buying 5th wheel, put on small piece of land and build a cover
over it. So if I needed to move I could, but would not be traveling about. Is anyone doing this?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:13 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,995 times
I've heard of people doing this texas... but... before you buy your land, you'll want to check your local zoning laws. It is tricky to do so.

Best bet for living full time might be in a rv park designed just for this. I think there are a couple of them around the Lake Whitney area in your neck of the woods....

Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,539,261 times
I live in my rv...but don't travel...I just got tired of paying $700-$1000 a month in rent...
I'm the most unlikely rv'r...but finacially it just made sense to me...I'm not trying to impress anyone anymore except myself...and my wallet...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,030,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroseforliberty View Post
would like to know if anyone has bought a 5th wheel to live in permantely without traveling. I
am considering selling my home, buying 5th wheel, put on small piece of land and build a cover
over it. So if I needed to move I could, but would not be traveling about. Is anyone doing this?
Where are you going to get water from and where are you going to dump your tanks? How about power? Going to run off a generator and batteries, use solar power etc? These are all questions you would have to be able to answer. Then as stated you would have to comply with the local zoning laws..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing