U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,630,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
It would be so much easier to clean!!!

Sorry, I just hate house work and love RV's.
That is just one more great thing about RVing full time. I can clean house completely in about 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,538,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroseforliberty View Post
Time and Space,
now thats what I'm talking about!!...thats the way I want to live. downsize to an RV. I found a
park that is at a marina and it is quite lovely, secluded, lots of trees and more than just a little stip
of space. I want to eventually own my own land, but the rent at this lovely place is 380. month..
Isn't that kinda high?...this is full time living, if desired. I haven't checked out RV rental spaces, but
I think they are a lot cheaper than that.
I'd say $380.00 is med to average...but slightly on the low side...

Here's the situation as I'v observed it...

You have different RV parks that cator to different communities....

1. Wally World type family vacation RV parks
2. Deliverance (Burt Renolds movie) type RV parks (Wheels removed from half the motorhomes or travel trailers)
3. Working class RV Parks
4. Mega rich RV parks (where RV's that park there average 6 figures)

5. And then you have your way out the way parks, places where most don't travel, off the beaten path types where there's hardly anyone there.

Those are your basic parks...as RV living grows in popularity, well, you know capitolism...and so prices go up...

Where you could use to stay for $15 bucks a night...now may be 30-45 a night or more....
Also depends on season....

It's sad in a way...it seems when a class of citizens, RV'ers finally figured out a way to get ahead of the system....the system said 'ah ah ah' we will get your money one way or another...

Now RV parks are popping up like small communities...expecially in places like Florida or Arizona...where a developer will buy land, build a lake on the land, and build RV stations around the lake....

Even RV parks are becoming a business now, expecially as the housing market slows....like I mentioned earlier...in this system...either way their going to try to get your money...

I remember when RV parks were a thing of stares...like 'gee, I wonder who lives there or like that'....
But now their becoming 'chic'...and their building RV parks catored specifically for millionares....

Another thing I don't like about some parks, is the proximaty...they put the slots to close together...like sardines...

Before Parks became a business, the slots were spread out...you had space...it was more of a laid back novelty type thing....but now it's become a business...so many parks crunch or pack the pads as close as they can get them, the more slots on a acre, the more money....

It's sad to see everything going that way...

That's why it's good to get an RV that is self contained, with a generator...that way you can run your own electricity...
Anyways...here are a few park lay outs to look at...

Here's one of those remote parks I was telling ya about...but their remote for a reason...cause their far away from population areas and weren't really designed to generate money...just to facilitate seasonal campers, maybe hunters, out backers...sometimes you pull into a place like this, and don't even know where to pay...and many places, believe it or not, have an 'honor' system...the owners may not even be on the property full time, and they just leave a slot in the vaulted door or elsewhere, and you pay whatever the daily usage is...

http://greg-willis.com/files/imagecache/1000x1000/images/090416-08-GMC_EM50_Urban_Assault_Vehicle_from_Stripes.jpg (broken link)
The famous GMC RV used in the movie Stripes, with Bill Murray...the one with military capabilities...(the first transformer)

http://www.salopleisure.co.uk/docs/motorhome_images/20100107_motorhomes009.jpg (broken link)

This baby here is hot...and in demand...but it's made over seas...I mean you could take long trips, and due to the small size...you could park anywhere and totally just blend in...you could just park on residentual street somewhere and people would just think you lived there...and I'm sure it's self-contained...
You could go to concerts or events in this thing, to tired to drive home...just spend the night where your at....

This is like a communter RV or something...it's cute though...

And wow...this thing here looks better than the last house I lived in...wow...It sparkles...let's forget about the price tag and just enjoy the view...
And that's all folks...

Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,630,567 times
Timeandspace I would say that you are an RV salesperson. You have gone above and beyond to talk up and promote our lifestyle but you have also said many things that I do not feel is accurate. Some of those pictures you showed do not even remotely depict what we all have and do. I am curious to hear some of your actual experiences with RVing and RV parks.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Not every RV'r has the same kind of experience or relates to it the same way.
Some do it for recreation, others do it for economics, there's many different classifications of RV'ers, therefore how people relate to their RV's will be different...

I know when I use to drive big trucks...one minute a million dollor RV would pass me...Satelite domes attached, chrome paneling, the whole bit...
And then 5 minutes later I could come upon a 1966 Winnabego, with the original paint, with a band of hippies just doing their thing.

More and more contracters who have temp assignments in cities or towns, are buying RV's now to put their workers up in...and over the course of the year, they can easily make their money back in saved Hotel/Motel expenses...

Law enforcement utilizes RV's also, as well as celebraties.

It's really impossible for me to summerize a one size fit's all RV experience...cause the RV community is becoming more broad by the month.

They got a bit greedy with wanting to get a up and close view of
the ocean...

Wow, a bicycle travel trailer...wow...I wonder if it comes with a shower?

Give me a mid-size like this or I believe class C...and I'll get lost
in the desert for weeks....Something like this makes so much more
sense to me than a car...If I were a young person starting off
with good credit, I'd go straight to a RV dealership...you can get
so much more use out of an Rv, than a car...
1. you can sleep in it
2. Cook in it
3. have your guest stay in it
4. Evacuate hurricanes and not have to worry about getting a hotel.
5. You can by-pass the air port and just drive..

RV's are like adult forts...little comfortable places to get away...

When times get hard, people get inovative...
You gotta give him credit...you just gotta give him credit...wow...

Added note:
In other countries you can get away with this, but in the United States, the the local
and state governments would milk this guy dry by making him...
1. get a special bicycle license due to gross weight of vehicle $50.00
2. get a bicycle vehicle tag $40.00
3. Mandated insurance $35.00 a month
4. Safety inspection, one time charge $45.00
5. Mandated lights, and working horn $20-$60
6. Special parking permit, issued by city $60.00
7. Mandated helmet usage, Helmet cost $45.00
8. Business license to carry custimors or passengers. $80.00

And I'm sure state and city principalities would think of more ways of milking this guy
than I can come up with here...
That being said, are we really free anymore?

Last edited by Time and Space; 03-09-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,619 times
Time and Space, what is the county where this park is located?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 66,626 times
nice photos!...I think the best plan for me to live full time in a 5th wheel, is to have my own land and
put in well and septic and cover...I may search for a farmer or rancher in my area that has lots of acreage and see if they would be willing to sell, or lease me about 1/2 ac. I have lived in open spaces
too long to be closed in by RV park....hopefully the housing market will improve some so I can sell my home for better.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
nice photos!...I think the best plan for me to live full time in a 5th wheel, is to have my own land and
put in well and septic and cover...I may search for a farmer or rancher in my area that has lots of acreage and see if they would be willing to sell, or lease me about 1/2 ac. I have lived in open spaces
too long to be closed in by RV park....hopefully the housing market will improve some so I can sell my home for better.
I agree....

I had land before...and a new single wide moble home placed on it...(yes I know...not an RV)...but the point being...I had nice land, and a home...but could never enjoy it cause I had to work and was never there...

In my opinion...the best thing to do is along what you said...buy an acre or 2 or 3 of land...pay cash for it...and own it...and then park your travel trailer or RV on it...and either have power ran to the place...or use generater....

That way when your there...you can relax...

I think more and more all people want to do is relax...
(To escape the hussle and bussle of this world we live in...the chasing of 'stuff'...the chasing of 'money'...things...I realize now I don't need 'stuff' or 'things...
what I do need and what my, and others souls long for, is to wake up to a beautiful view of a prairie, or lake or river or trees...and to just hear the wind)

Most realize by now that they will never be millionares...but the one thing everyone can still do is relax if they get their life in order...

I remember I took a trip in a RV once...and parked right next to a peer in in the gulf area of Florida...the view I had outside the window was of the bay or ocean...I watched the sun set and rise...and it was wonderful...my RV afforded me a million dollor view...even though I was near broke at the time....

Last edited by Time and Space; 05-15-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerdavisj View Post
Time and Space, what is the county where this park is located?
If your refering to the one with the 5th wheel sitting in the forground of the tall rocky mountain...that's Canada...

Banff National park...the Canadian rockies....

Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,604,538 times
I just saw a toy hauler that was nicer than most homes, plenty spacious with the slide outs - a big screen television in the back that pushes toward the side wall when you need to pack up.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,027,272 times
Quote:

Now is the time to buy if you are looking for a used 5th wheel, used 5th wheels have flooded the market right now and many dealers wont even take them in on trades because they know they will just sit on the lot so many people are having to unload their 5th wheels for pennies on the dollar...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing