U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,541,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
here is my solution of heaven (for Stealth RVing )
Rialta Heaven - Welcome

bit low slung, + Front wheel drive for too much off road.

20 MPG is nice, but doesn't compare to my 50 mpg Diesel VW Passat wagons (with 1250 mile range). I am making a small, light popup 'teardrop' for creating a 45 mpg RV (that will run on free fryer grease). I will have a MotorAide water heater and small tank for outdoor shower and making hot meals.
That is awesome...

Those small compacts really swing a finacial punch though...brand new that is...

That's because they make so much sense...markerters know this...

There's nothing better than having a compact self sufficient RV...with generator...
You can go anywhere...in the woods, desert, city, shoreline...and blend in...
You can pretty much park anywhere as well...there very versitile...

And in this age of economic and employment uncertainty...they make more sense than ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Those small compacts really swing a finacial punch though...brand new that is...
There's nothing better than having a compact self sufficient RV...with generator......
And in this age of economic and employment uncertainty...they make more sense than ever...
They are not bad $$$ 'Used'. in the winter, and with careful shopping ($10,000 - $20,000). Older camper vans can be had for $1000- $3000. I saw a guy who had converted a small furniture truck to a camper, and he just parked in the parking lot of furniture stores while camping.

I sleep overnight at Hospitals, funeral homes, churches, fairgrounds, city parks, quiet streets. (If I can't be at one of these spots) Free Campgrounds for RVs

My neighbor has a zillion kids and just converted a 'grease powered' bus for camping (and painted it very camo 'stealth')

Fortunately, I seem to get accident claims on my vehicles and often end up money ahead (happened to my MH shortly after buying). I have well over 3 million miles of accident free commercial driving, but distracted cell phone talking SUV driver's have bought me several cars (tho it is VERY tough to find 50 mpg replacement cars).

BTW... Part of my 'retirement' plan is NOT owning a house; but instead... owning self supporting 'investment' places across the USA (campgrounds, commercial rentals, storage units, farms ...). They will each have an apartment as well as full RV hook-ups for me and my friends (when we happen to be in the area). I have 5 places currently picked out. (NH lake district, NE TN, Hill Country Texas, Black Hills, and WA Columbia Gorge) Note: They are all 'income tax free'. Property taxes, maint, and utilities will be paid by the tenants. (OR a deductible expense). SD only requires a one night stay to make it your domicile .

I won't be driving much between these places, as each will be near an international airport, and I'll keep a $35 Stealth Rabbit (and motorcycle) at each site for my use. I have a really retro Honda TL-250 (1975) that gets over 100 MPG, it will be one of my choices in the coming age of significant fuel $$$$$.

Keep me posted if you need a place to 'Stealth-RV'.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,541,182 times
Wow, when you mentioned the Columbia Gorge area of WA State...that got my attention...

A splendid place...cold in the winters...and very windy...and back when I was in that area long ago...those high winds made it a hot destination point for wind surfers...one of my long ago classmates was into that...

I kinda miss that rocky vibrant terrain out there...and in the early spring or summer...such color contrasts...the dark blue water, the sky, and the canyons...and depending on the the clouds, you never know what kind of color spectrum you'll get as the sun beggins to set or rise...

You've got a groovey plan going on...

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Wow, when you mentioned the Columbia Gorge area of WA State...that got my attention...

A splendid place...cold in the winters...and very windy.....

I kinda miss that rocky vibrant terrain out there...and in the early spring or summer...such color contrasts...the dark blue water, the sky, and the canyons...and depending on the the clouds, you never know what kind of color spectrum you'll get as the sun beggins to set or rise...

You've got a groovey plan going on...
home sweet home
vista house at crown point - Google Search
24F w 40 mph winds at the moment (at least it is not raining )
Windows are shaking a fair bit, gotta keep the door to the wood stove shut or it will draw the logs right up the chimney

and this is 5 minutes away
cape horn washington - Google Search

Not a shabby place to hang out (except for the $33/ day property taxes, on a joint I built for VERY cheap). If the Assessor would write me a check for what HE thinks it's worth, I'd be gone in a flash. (I have my eye on places nearby for a whole lot less). With room for several full-time rv spots.
Photographer's, wind surfer, hiker's paradise, and weather watcher's paradise.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
Default Getting ready to go full time

My wife & I are retired and are doing our homework to go full time in a class a motorhome. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Here's our current situation: Our monthly expenses (rent & utilities) come to $1000/mo and we can more than afford that. We will not have an apartment or house to support. We'll be living in the motorhome until I can't drive anymore. We just bought a 2012 Kia Soul that will be coming with us (payments are $260/mo). We will be financing the motorhome. We're not looking for luxury, just an affordable home that we can take with us while we travel. Most of the year it will be just the 2 of us and the grandkids for about a month when they are out of school. We plan to buy the motorhome either Fall of 2013 or 2014, depending on how fast we can get all our ducks in a row. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 AM

Location ?

Destination?
Age and interests?

FYI: A planning benchmark. I found a beautiful Gulfstream Diesel pusher this week 50K miles for $30k. (Was over $130k new). It didn't have slideouts, which is REAL bad for resale. (and can make full-timing a bit tight.) Thus you CAN find a very dependable diesel, CHEAP (economy, ez'r driving, (low RPM torque) + long life + you can make your own fuel (Appleseed biodiesel processor) NO fuel expense can be NICE). I really like Gulfstream conversions for good quality and layout but not too over the top in extras / frills / expense.

I would look to find an older "'used' platinum" Thousand Trails membership (~$2000 Vs. $25,000 new) or equivalent to where you will be staying. Older memberships are CHEAP and some can have UNLIMITED nights in Park annually. (many have 14 day limit, then OUT for block of time).

Passport America is good club too.

Look into Workamping / caretaking a park; off season. When living in Canada we had several friends from UK that would come to a 'summer 'youth' camp' and do minor repairs during winter (for free rent). Many camps in USA would love you to death for that contribution.

Nothing cheap about RVing, but could be a good time for you. Depending on what you have in mind.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,034,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1104 View Post
My wife & I are retired and are doing our homework to go full time in a class a motorhome. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Here's our current situation: Our monthly expenses (rent & utilities) come to $1000/mo and we can more than afford that. We will not have an apartment or house to support. We'll be living in the motorhome until I can't drive anymore. We just bought a 2012 Kia Soul that will be coming with us (payments are $260/mo). We will be financing the motorhome. We're not looking for luxury, just an affordable home that we can take with us while we travel. Most of the year it will be just the 2 of us and the grandkids for about a month when they are out of school. We plan to buy the motorhome either Fall of 2013 or 2014, depending on how fast we can get all our ducks in a row. Thanks for your help.
Only you know what you can afford, I full time and I will tell you the same thing most full timers will tell you... Try and start with zero bills as its going to cost you more then you planned on.... You state that your motor coach and toad with both be on a monthly note so that puts you behind the eight ball as soon as you start. There are hundreds of charts etc out on the net that offers an example of what your monthly bills might be....but they are a very loose guideline at best as everyone lives a different life style. Some folks will live for a month or two at the same campground taking advantage of a lower monthly rate while others jump from campground to campground every 2-3 days, so where one couple may budget 400 dollars a month for camping fees another couple may budget 2500 or more a month for camping fees.

For now I would suggest you stay away from any and all camping membership until you spend time on the road and figure out how and where you really want to travel, they can quickly become another added monthly fee that is not being used to your advantage..

Many people full time and they will all tell you its a great life style but it is not cheap by any means unless you just plan on sitting in one spot and if that is the case why buy a motor home in the first place. Traveling is fun and the dream of all full timers but traveling cost is high, simple math will tell you driving something that gets 6-8 miles to the gallon is not going to be cheap, most RV'ers budget 50-75 cent per mile for fuel depending on their coach.... Now add to that fluid changes, minor repairs etc and it all adds up quick. Then add on the other monthly bills that are there no matter if your moving or not like phone, internet, food, clothing, insurance etc and you may find out you are spending much more to full time in a RV then what you were living in a stick and brick home.....
Many people find this to be true so they travel only part time taking 2-3 trips a year for say a month at a time

The biggest concerns you should have right now if you are going to full time is what state you are going to claim your residency in for tax reasons, healthcare etc. I would be sitting down with your tax advisor to plan for both your short and long term financial/medical needs to see if this is what you want to do based on your allotted income...

I hope everything works out for you......If I can offer one more piece of advice, no matter if you decide to full time or part time in your RV..... just go for it, as tomorrow is not guaranteed..........

Last edited by rtandc; 06-05-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
We will not have an apartment or house to support.
We just bought a 2012 Kia Soul that will be coming with us (payments are $260/mo).
We will be financing the motorhome.
If this means that you have sold your home and otherwise invested the proceeds...
and are using the vehicle loans as a cash management tool... then good.
The last thing you want is debt.

Once on the road you have a choice to roll along every day or to park.
Most will do a mix of the two.

Rolling = @60mph x 4 hrs per day (240/6-8mpg) 34gal x $3.75 =$128.
plus the tires and brakes and other wear items... means a daily expense
that easily approaches $150 even if you're parked at the WalMart each of those nights.
Staying at a nicer park in a nicer resort location especially isn't a whole lot less per day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFf4aBDdpU

Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,637,754 times
Quote:
My dad found a way to stay in nice RV parks -- he got a job as a campground host. He said it was a fun job, he only had to work 4 hours a day, he always liked to stay busy anyhow and it made it even easier to socialize.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,845,700 times
I've been doing research on small TT's and have come to love the Casita, this older woman is doing full time in one and you can read about her and her solo travels on her blog here:

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more

She's not the only one either, Casita's seem to have real staying power and durability, yes there small but they are also light and you can get away with towing with some V6ers with the right towing package.

I don't think I'd ever be a full timer, but I can see myself being gone for weeks at a time. I'll always want a "nest" to go back to, something quite small in the one bedroom cottage range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing