U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,241 times

Advertisements

Well, interesting response. I am going to buy one of these SUV tents very soon for camping. I have camped often and roughed it, more than most. I can't afford a trailer or RV and I see them sitting unused everywhere. They cost too much! The SUV tent will allow me to sleep off the ground in my daily driver and step down into the tent. What is not to like about that for $300? My back country days are likely over, I will be in campsites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,444,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshin View Post
Well, interesting response. I am going to buy one of these SUV tents very soon for camping. I have camped often and roughed it, more than most. I can't afford a trailer or RV and I see them sitting unused everywhere. They cost too much! The SUV tent will allow me to sleep off the ground in my daily driver and step down into the tent. What is not to like about that for $300? My back country days are likely over, I will be in campsites.
This is where the SUV tent finds its niche. If someone is looking to sleep in the tent, they don't really need one that connects to their SUV. For someone who just needs a place to sleep for the night, the back of the SUV may be enough. Where the "SUV Tent" becomes useful is when you want to sleep in the back of the SUV, but want a place to stand up, change clothes, or whatever in comfort and privacy. This would be particularly advantageous in adverse weather, because you could have a place to sit and play cards comfortably, and could then get into the back of the SUV to sleep.

Personally, I don't have any use for an SUV tent, because I don't sleep in the back of my truck when I go camping. I just use a regular tent, and sleep in a sleeping bag on an air mattress. I like the idea that I can set up my tent in any decent spot within the campsite, and that I don't have to find somewhere to accommodate both the tent and the vehicle together.

As for tent camping in bear country, the best advice I have is to take sensible precautions. I've tent camped in bear country in several different states. The primary consideration is not to have food anywhere near the tent. I usually keep all my food in the back of my truck at night (which is one reason I don't sleep there). So far, I've not had any problems from incidents involving bears coming into my camp (except one time when backpacking), but have had them nearby several times. To me, there is comfort in camping in groups (or close to other campers), because I believe that bears will be less likely to come into a camp with a lot of people. There are some places, though, where tent camping is prohibited because of potential bear problems. Some parts of Yellowstone are that way.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
I've thought about this option too. I took a trip last year & set up about 4" memory foam in the back of my Outback & black curtains for all the windows. It worked ok but was very cramped. Sleeping was very comfortable. Moving about not so much.

If I were going to a camp for awhile and felt safe enuf, I think the tent with the door/hatch sock would be a good, cheap option. As you said it can stand alone as well. From what I've seen, you have to be sure the sock fits your vehicle. I would also be sure that I could close & lock the door with the sock attached. I think that would be a minimum security need.

Ventilation is a problem in this setup, especiallyin summer. My car had quite a lot of condensation in cool temps. I would have to figure out the balance of security (closed windows) & venting & coolness. In my fall trip, I opened the sunroof for venting but I doubt that will be enuf for summer. I can make velcro screens to keep bugs out but there is that security issue.

I think my ideal would be a small class B. That way my unconscious hours would be in a locked vehicle with good ventilation & insulation and I could dress, wash in privacy in a locked vehicle. I just need to find out how drivable/maneuvrable it really is & figure out if I really want to spend the money. They are astoundlingly expensive. I don't think I want to tow (lots of issues) & I want some decent mpg (Sprinter?)

Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
I think my ideal would be a small class B.
Camper on Diesel pick-up, Mini Van camper conversion, EuroVan, (Westy), or Rialta will get Sprinter economy (18-22mpg) with less capital $2000 - $20,000 vs $50k - $100k Sprinter. I have had all but the Sprinter, tho have driven and have friends w/ Sprinters. They drive very nice, but everyone has spent more fixing them than my other 3 units LIFETIME combined expenses. Pop-top minivan would be the best (with a Motoraid HWHeater + outdoor shower). It is EZ to put 200k miles on a minivan w/o too much expense, get a 'Sport' model for decent suspension, brakes, and a larger cooling system. Class B is superb for singles, and for city parking, u-turns, 'stealth camping', economy, ease of repair / towing, availability and cost of parts, storing, reselling, lending, borrowing, using as a second vehicle, ... the list goes on. Toilet Shower and Generator can be concerns, but I would recommend no genset, a healthy inverter, extra battery, outdoor shower, and a porta-potty. This will ease your load, expenses, and your repairs.

tent anything = slow to get started in AM (letting tent dry) / packing up...
Have a great trip.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,198,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
So I am looking into camping gear, and I want to go the least expensive route ( tent versus pop-up) and I am searching online for tents and reading blogs, and forums and I keep coming across these Napier Sportz tents that can attach to the back of an suv so that you can have acess to your suv from inside the tent.
Does anyone have any ideas on this?
We have a Sportz tent but it is for a F150. It was very nice to be off of the ground. We would still be using it if we hadn't sold the truck. Fairly easy to set up once you've done it.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,569,763 times
Bump to see if anyone else has experience with this kind of tent..?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM

11,435 posts, read 17,143,009 times
Default Has anyone ever used a suv tent like the Napier sportz tent?

Wow that's bringing one back from the dead I've always liked the thought of one of these tents but I've never seen anyone use one, the price doesn't seem bad i think it would be worth a try. The only concern I would have is how it seals around the back of the SUV, if it's water tight and snake and bug tight, I don't worry about bears but I don't enjoy sharing my sleeping bag with bugs that bite.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,569,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Wow that's bringing one back from the dead I've always liked the thought of one of these tents but I've never seen anyone use one, the price doesn't seem bad i think it would be worth a try. The only concern I would have is how it seals around the back of the SUV, if it's water tight and snake and bug tight, I don't worry about bears but I don't enjoy sharing my sleeping bag with bugs that bite.
I figure it's better to resurrect an old thread than start a new one sometimes.

I have seen them for my minivan. The thing is, they look so cool but I keep wondering if they have a real, true advantage over any regular tent that justifies the price difference or if I am just wanting one because they "look so cool". I can be a sucker for gimmicky stuff if I don't watch myself.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM

11,435 posts, read 17,143,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I figure it's better to resurrect an old thread than start a new one sometimes.

I have seen them for my minivan. The thing is, they look so cool but I keep wondering if they have a real, true advantage over any regular tent that justifies the price difference or if I am just wanting one because they "look so cool". I can be a sucker for gimmicky stuff if I don't watch myself.
I do like the idea and they do look cool, I would like to see one up close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing