U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM

144 posts, read 503,795 times

Advertisements

So I am looking into camping gear, and I want to go the least expensive route ( tent versus pop-up) and I am searching online for tents and reading blogs, and forums and I keep coming across these Napier Sportz tents that can attach to the back of an suv so that you can have acess to your suv from inside the tent. You can also use the tent as a stand alone tent. I have only seen one forum thread about someone actually getting one so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I think it would be nice, if I want to sleep off of the ground my car is pretty roomy in the back after I fold my seats down, I think a twin sized air mattress can fit in there, and I also have electrical outlets in my car so that would be convient should I need it. And of course this would be much more economical than buying a popup, especially since I can easily see my self upgrading to something else in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Default ?

Huummnh 48 looks no replies...... either this is a silly notion ...... or..... this is so brilliant it is blowing peoples minds and leaving them speechless Huummnh now which is it

If it seems silly to you can you tell me why? I suppose if this remains a one person thread much longer my question will be answered, but it just seems so strange when I search for tents I usually get about 1-2 sites advertising these things on each search page. I though if multiple companies carry them some one must be buying them.

Thanks for the looks

Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM

9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
We're 5th wheel RV campers so I haven't looked into these at all, but we have been tent campers in the past. I guess I question the advantage of them. When I tent camped I often pitched the tent in a spot where it would be difficult to get a car into... between trees, on a beach, etc. Sometimes the tent would be tossed into a boat and set up on an island, sometimes into my plane and set up next to it at an airport. One tent would last us through several vehicle trades.

My SIL usually spends a week each year camping with us. She has a tent and we share a campsite. Her tent goes behind our camper or next to it behind the picnic table and firepit. She couldn't get her car back there.

I understand that it can stand alone, but I fail to see many advantages to connecting it to a vehicle. I guess it could expand the sleeping area, which might be nice at times. To use it as expanded storage, I'm not so sure. Much of the west is bear country, so all food gets stored in the car. I don't think I'd want to be sleeping in a tent that the bears had to traverse to get to the food!

I don't know. Weigh the advantages and disadvantages to YOU and make your decision from there.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,827,211 times
I have seen them in use but that's about all I can contribute. Sorry.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,691,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
So I am looking into camping gear, and I want to go the least expensive route ( tent versus pop-up) and I am searching online for tents and reading blogs, and forums and I keep coming across these Napier Sportz tents that can attach to the back of an suv so that you can have acess to your suv from inside the tent. You can also use the tent as a stand alone tent. I have only seen one forum thread about someone actually getting one so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I think it would be nice, if I want to sleep off of the ground my car is pretty roomy in the back after I fold my seats down, I think a twin sized air mattress can fit in there, and I also have electrical outlets in my car so that would be convient should I need it. And of course this would be much more economical than buying a popup, especially since I can easily see my self upgrading to something else in a few years.
Before you invest in a tent consider a "Tear Drop" trailer that is a design from long ago being small enough to be towed by any car or large motorcycle. All you need and nothing more.

http://www.campingearth.com/teardrop/

Little Guy Teardrop Trailers - Home

Teardrop Travel Trailers by Camp-Inn

or home built.....
(example) Teardrop Trailer Project

These little trailer have large following they are so useful as well as fun!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Here is a little info, I am planning on going west into bear and mountain lion country. I won't be storing food or scented items in my car but in a provided bear box ( most of the places I am planning on going have these) or I will be suspending it in a tree away from my camp and proper distance from the tree trunk. I like the idea of being able to sleep in my car because I would be able to sleep much better with hard "walls" around me if I felt I needed to, especially if I see evidence of big animals around the campsite. I really don't want to be in the "fully equipped" type of campsite but the primitive designated type campsites that are usually a few hundred feet off a road.

I have looked at a few tear drops and pop-ups but I think those might keep me out of the primitive spots. I could probably be knocked over by a curious bear if I was in a teardrop ( I know that is like 1:1000 odds but it isn't impossible that a bear might wander into my camp). AND I am a lowly student and I would like to find out just how little money I can spend on my idea of an adventure of a lifetime!

Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Here is a little info, I am planning on going west into bear and mountain lion country. I won't be storing food or scented items in my car but in a provided bear box ( most of the places I am planning on going have these) or I will be suspending it in a tree away from my camp and proper distance from the tree trunk. I like the idea of being able to sleep in my car because I would be able to sleep much better with hard "walls" around me if I felt I needed to, especially if I see evidence of big animals around the campsite. I really don't want to be in the "fully equipped" type of campsite but the primitive designated type campsites that are usually a few hundred feet off a road.

I have looked at a few tear drops and pop-ups but I think those might keep me out of the primitive spots. I could probably be knocked over by a curious bear if I was in a teardrop ( I know that is like 1:1000 odds but it isn't impossible that a bear might wander into my camp). AND I am a lowly student and I would like to find out just how little money I can spend on my idea of an adventure of a lifetime!

Thanks
If you're worried about bears , or other critters, (and I can see you are) then a tent of any kind isn't what you want. You mistakenly believe that a bear can't get in your car when closed.....not so at all. The glass means nothing to a determined bear....nothing at all.

The all aluminum tear drop is a much better choice for you since it will take you on many ,safe as possible, trips to anywhere you can drive.

Oh yes, it seems that you are something of a newbie at this so any "primitive" type camping is not in your best interest.....just yet.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If you're worried about bears , or other critters, (and I can see you are) then a tent of any kind isn't what you want. You mistakenly believe that a bear can't get in your car when closed.....not so at all. The glass means nothing to a determined bear....nothing at all.

The all aluminum tear drop is a much better choice for you since it will take you on many ,safe as possible, trips to anywhere you can drive.

Oh yes, it seems that you are something of a newbie at this so any "primitive" type camping is not in your best interest.....just yet.

Actually Tightwad, I am not a newbie. Nor am I "worried about critters" I'm thinking about precautions that should be taken as anyone camping around large predators should. What I am doing is transitioning into a "different type of camping" evolving and growing in this hobby of mine.

I posted here because I was looking for opinions on a specific type of gear. I did go over to Amazon.com and look through reviews on different models and that was very helpful. I believe the overall rating was 4.5 out of 5 for newer models and poor ratings for an earlier model, mostly because it did not come with a rain fly.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Actually Tightwad, I am not a newbie. Nor am I "worried about critters" I'm thinking about precautions that should be taken as anyone camping around large predators should. What I am doing is transitioning into a "different type of camping" evolving and growing in this hobby of mine.

I posted here because I was looking for opinions on a specific type of gear. I did go over to Amazon.com and look through reviews on different models and that was very helpful. I believe the overall rating was 4.5 out of 5 for newer models and poor ratings for an earlier model, mostly because it did not come with a rain fly.

Thanks for all the replies.
Well. Ok.

However, I've never met anyone who camped on any sort of regular basis that stayed with a tent long unless they were well trained in back country living.

The reason I'm suggesting a Teardrop is that this little "bedroom on wheels" is expandable with the addition of a tent ,if need be, leaving the vehicle free for other jobs. These little guys tow with such ease while imposing NO penalty in gas MPG on ANY size car. (when the Teardrop was invented cars only had 60>80HP max with enough metal in the car to build three cars today!)

I've done car camping.....once. I can tell you it.....sucks.....for comfort which is why I own a Teardrop myself. I don't camp enough to justify the cost of the overall cost of any other type RV or camping method. Beside, if you get down to it a Teardrop is nothing more than a hardshell tent on wheels if that's all you want/need. Plus they take little room to park at home when not in use.

If you want to tent camp great! Camping is a fun activity to be sure just keep a LARGE knife handy when you sleep. I always do.........

Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,674,292 times
I've been checking out the Napier tents, as well.

I've never been a camper, but looks like I'm going to have to become one. I've had to cancel a couple of short trips lately because finding a half-way decent, pet-friendly hotel room just got to be a major hassel.

The teardrops are cute, but way too pricey for as often as I'd use it.

Sleeping in the back of my SUV is pretty comfy, so the Napier looks ideal. I don't think bears are an issue where I'll be camping, but I'll research that.

mekia02, please post if you get one. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing