Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into the possibility of purchasing a gently used trailer (Pop-up or otherwise) for some weekend get-a-ways but unfortunately a Ford Escape (V6) is the largest vehicle we own at the moment. A bathroom is a must.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Sorry to say there is not any trailers, pop up or otherwise that I know of that has a built in bathroom with a blackwater holding tank...very few in that weight class will even have a gray water holding tank and those that do are no bigger then about 10 gallons......
If the wife wants a bathroom (toilet, shower, sink etc) you might as well buy a full size PU with the proper towing capacity and get a full size 8000-12000 pound TT and be done with it....

Last edited by rtandc; 01-06-2016 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
If you're just talking about weekend getaways, IMO, a "bathroom" is unnecessary. Plenty of people camp and travel without. Can you talk more specifically about the kind of camping you will be doing, and why you think you need a bathroom? Then we can tell you how we manage w/out hauling that kind of weight around.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Plenty of teardrop or A-Liner type campers out there that would be perferct fo weekend getaways. You can save yourself a lot of weight and hassle by just using the washrooms at the campsite.
However some do accommodate a rudimentary washroom =
2015 TAB (T@B) Teardrop Camping Trailer S-Floorplan | Roaming Times

Aliner - Pop Up Campers

Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I own one. Under 2,000 lbs loaded. I tow with a Chrysler 300 rated for a Class 1 only.

Queen Bed (made from dinette)
Microwave
2 burner stove
refrigerator/freezer
TV
stereo
AC
kitchen sink
toilet
shower
black and grey water tanks

Great company - here's the website link to my model: Taylor Coach - Models

The trailer is normally 6 1/2' wide - had mine widened to 7' for a full sized queen bed and extra standing room - makes a difference, and still keep weight well under. Easily towed by a 6-cylinder. If you happen to contact them, PM me. I would just like to tell them I sent a potential customer their way. 3rd generation company that hand builds the trailers. Have a problem? You call and speak to the person who built your trailer. Great customer service.

I had looked at tear drops and A frames - all too heavy and not nearly the full fledged trailer. I think you could go with their 14' model and strill be under weight.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:49 PM

955 posts, read 744,247 times
I tow a Forest River R Pod 171
Bathroom with shower
36 gal fresh water
35 gal black water
35 gal gray water
weights 2224 lb

Old 01-14-2016, 07:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I had looked at the Rpod, but I needed the weight to be less than 2,000 lbs loaded to ensure any Class 1 rated hitch could tow it. I liked them.

My water tanks aren't as big, and I neglected to put down I have a fresh water tank too.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:10 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
When I am on extended hunting trips I don't even use my camper's toilet. I use a porta-potti and use the camp ground's toilet to dump out. Otherwise I'd have to drag it all down the Mt about every 4 days. Not an option. The biggest deal is making sure you have enough fresh water. Right now I use 5 gallon cans but want a 100 made for the back of my truck.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When I am on extended hunting trips I don't even use my camper's toilet. I use a porta-potti and use the camp ground's toilet to dump out. Otherwise I'd have to drag it all down the Mt about every 4 days. Not an option. The biggest deal is making sure you have enough fresh water. Right now I use 5 gallon cans but want a 100 made for the back of my truck.
I agree. It costs money to tow that sewage around. Why would anyone want to do that? Double your fresh water instead.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM

58 posts, read 134,271 times
A trailer with a bathroom weighing under 2000 pounds is really asking a lot. Manufacturers typically quote the "dry" weight without options in their specs, and without water and propane tanks filled up. These things add up very quickly and you must also allow for any camping equipment you wish to carry in the trailer.

That said, here's a trailer that might work. It's the Scamp 13' trailer (fiberglass egg). They specify a dry weight of 1200-1500 pounds on their website. You'll have to call and find out if you can come up with a configuration with the bathroom that will come in under 2000 pounds. Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers

Personally, I have a Chalet LTW folding A-frame trailer that weighs about 1800 lbs loaded. I use a folding toilet called The Pett which is very lightweight and compact and uses a biodegradable bag system that breaks down the waste enzymatically. It is both legal and environmentally sound to throw the used bags in the trash. The only downside is the bags cost about $2 to $4, depending on where you buy them. Here's the website that explains the system: Cleanwaste | World's leader in personal human waste management

There are other systems that use regular plastic bags to lower the cost but they are obviously not biodegradable and I can attest that the way some people use them makes for a hideous mess at the dumpster. Also, I have come across a couple of remote but popular places in the West that require using the Cleanwaste system (waste in plastic bags is illegal).

If I had a little more room in my trailer I would go with a Thetford Porta-Potty*. But the Cleanwaste toilet works out well enough.

* Thetford makes replacements parts readily available for their Porta-Potty, unlike some other companies such as Coleman. There are certain parts that are "wear items" so this is an important consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing