U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
..except for the Visit from the Bears in Yosemite, but that's a tale for another time...
You need to go tell the tale on the What the Heck thread.

Please do - it's like campfire stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,013,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You need to go tell the tale on the What the Heck thread.

Please do - it's like campfire stories!

Please do, we would love to read what you have to tell

Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 AM

11,553 posts, read 13,618,858 times
Just got back from Canoe Camping in the Adirondacks for 6 days. Got poured on two of those days with major thunder rumbling around. Those were big travel days.
In the middle of a huge lake in a teflon canoe? Not even a little scary. Just wet. lol

Kind of surprised at the lack of 'hardcore' campers/hikers here.
Go back to your car? Really? That's never an option for me. Our car is usually a few DAYS away.
You sit in your tent and hope you picked a good spot to put it. Period. Or you get out of the tent, don the rain gear, and stand under some trees.

Unless you are camping as has been said, above the treeline, the odds of you getting struck are tiny. And unless you are gripping the metal rods of your tent, even if your tent did somehow manage to get struck, your tent poles would funnel the strike into the ground.

I am quite sure your odds of winning the mega millions is better.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,116,063 times
I've always stayed in the tent during thunderstorms. That's part of the fun of camping, in my opinion. Before reading this thread, I never would have even thought of waiting it out in the car.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM

817 posts, read 1,952,123 times
At Darien Lake in NY, not far from where I used to live, 3 campers were killed by lightning in 1987. In two separate tents. The incident is mentioned in this article, along with some other lightning statistics:

86 Deaths by Lightning in '87, Highest Toll of This Decade - NYTimes.com

Won't catch me in a tent in a thunderstorm. I lived at almost 2000' elevation in NY and people in that area had lightning hit lots of things.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM

605 posts, read 2,555,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I've always stayed in the tent during thunderstorms. That's part of the fun of camping, in my opinion. Before reading this thread, I never would have even thought of waiting it out in the car.
I was in a particularly nasty one last Friday night. I thought about running to the car (probably 15 feet away), but it was raining so hard I decided to wait it out. The tent was jumping it was so windy. Lightning was close, too. It lasted for about 2 hours, wave after wave of thunder, lightning and wind.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,778,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I was in a particularly nasty one last Friday night. I thought about running to the car (probably 15 feet away), but it was raining so hard I decided to wait it out. The tent was jumping it was so windy. Lightning was close, too. It lasted for about 2 hours, wave after wave of thunder, lightning and wind.
...and after the fact, it was kind of cool wasn't it? I love how you can hear the thunder ripple and move across the sky. It's not like in your house were you just hear the booms coming from outside, it's almost like some kind of living thing.

I don't know about you, but it can sure make me feel small and the world seem awfully big.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
You might enjoy my Camping Tale I just posted on strange camping experiences: What the Heck!!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
Yikes.

Quote:
And on July 26, lightning killed three campers sleeping in tents at Darien Lake in Genesee County. Scorch marks indicated that the bolt first struck an aluminum pole of one tent, killing its two occupants, then jumped six feet to another tent and electrocuted the third person.
I grew up not too far from that area and do not recall this

Old 08-12-2013, 02:56 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,147,783 times
If you opt to sit it out in your car, don't lean against the doors or be touching any metal.
The car is somewhat protected because of the tires, lighting hittin the ground close to the car will not transfer to the car. But if it hits the car- you better not be touching anything but the seat you are sitting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing