U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
If you opt to sit it out in your car, don't lean against the doors or be touching any metal.
The car is somewhat protected because of the tires, lighting hittin the ground close to the car will not transfer to the car. But if it hits the car- you better not be touching anything but the seat you are sitting in.
A guy's car was struck by lightening last week while he was driving just a few miles from where I live. He couldn't hear anything for awhile, but otherwise he was fine. His car had to be towed to the shop. A car is a good place to weather a lightening storm. A tent is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 AM

175 posts, read 477,948 times
The way I see it, most decisions in life are made based on risk and reward. Sure, we can sit inside our relatively safe home and mitigate the risks associated with going outside (driving, lightning, robbery, falling down, etc.), but is that really living with a purpose? Like my good friend Andy Dufresne once said: "I guess it comes down to a simple choice really...Get busy living or get busy dying."

So, you can either go out into the world and enjoy all she has to offer, or you can play it safe and never live life to the fullest. And to me, that's sadder than being killed by lightning enjoying what you love to do.

A few years ago, we hiked rim-to-rim across the Grand Canyon. As we started down the North Kaibab Trail, storms developed and it began to rain, lightning and thunder. With no place to go but down, we trekked on to the minimal shelter at the pumphouse. Sure it was scary and a little dangerous but it was a trip of a lifetime and a good memory that's etched into my brain. Our experiences in life and the obstacles we overcome define who we are. That risk was well worth the reward to me.

Still, I'd call myself a calculated risk taker. I'm not an adrenaline junkie by any means. I wear a seatbelt, a helmet mountain biking, and while camping if my car is nearby, I'll seek shelter in it during a lightning storm - I'd like to continue on this incredible journey. God made us to be intimately connected to nature and we should enjoy it while we can. And, when you no longer fear death so much, you can really begin to live each day like it's your last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing