U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 PM

354 posts, read 690,575 times

Advertisements

i am looking to sell my MINI. and plan to buy a used van and find a company that will customize it to a class b motorhome. my MUST motorhome customization should have:

toilet/shower, washer/dryer combo, microwave or airwave(?), bed and lots of storage space. i also want it to be solar powered as opposed to using gas or generator.

how much do u think it would cost me? i've seen links to greatway(?) and sportsmobile sites that do customization. are there any other? and where can i find a good used van and or used class b motorhomes. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
DM sent to you :-)

Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Where are you located. There are many van companies near my locale that do this.
also some national chains. (U.S. Vans)

I was looking at doing this to a 'sprinter' until I got some estimates. Probably need to do yourself or buy one that has been done. It's like a log house, cheaper to buy one than to build one.

There are some bargain Sprinters floating around from DHL, they get good mileage and will run forever + are nice handling.

I know of a great Roadtrek FS, they are very nicely done.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM

hey guys thanks for the replies. i am in IL. can u link me to that DHL sprinters? thanks also for the DM link. that's a real help.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
...can u link me to that DHL sprinters? ....
I am not sure if there are any upcoming sales, or if all DHL fleet has been liquidated. You will have to search DHL + Sprinter + sale. They are pretty ez to spot (Bright yellow) and you may find on the lot of commercial truck dealers (secondary market). I think they went for under $10k at fleet liquidations, and NOBODY is buying fleets today so getting excess inventory off a lot may be just as cheap.

btw, my quote for having a sprinter done was ~ $30k for FSC and $20K for non-FSC (No toilet / shower / genset) I think you could DIY for $10k or less by shopping interior parts.

I am using a Rialta (FSC VW 20 mpg) I REALLY like the 'motor-aid' hot water heater AND the outdoor shower, AND the config that allows a bed to be set up all the time. The best Sprinter conversion I found was a "Gulfstream" that had the rear windows replaced with fiberglass 'caps' that allowed a tall bed crossways in the rear. There was a 5'x5'x3' storage underneath that would be REAL handy. Sprinters are very narrow inside, definately for the 'single' traveler.

Rialta site FYI (Mine is the QD model)
Rialta Heaven - Home Sleeps 4 rides 8. If I'm not taking extra people (I often take seniors who can no longer drive). I remove the extra seats behind driver and replace with sewing / craft table and chair.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM

u mean i can buy the appliances i like and basically just pay for labor? that would be a better option? as much as i love to DIY. i cant. im not very handy. no idea what to do at all. i think i would have less quote since i will design my own floor plan. i won't have a kitchen at all since i cant cook anyway . the solar power might be expensive though.and the washer/dryer. i dont even know if it's gonna fit in a class b. oh how does an outside shower works? so u shower with no privacy? i picture it like water hosting urself out in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing