U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 AM

502 posts, read 1,567,183 times

Advertisements

ear plugs. There is nothing as loud as the silence of the forest in the early morning. Birds, frogs, insects....it can be incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,018,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
ear plugs. There is nothing as loud as the silence of the forest in the early morning. Birds, frogs, insects....it can be incredible.
Or, fellow campers, belching, farting and yawning as they wake up, LOL.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
There was a lot of the second mentioned going on at my last camp outing. I was like WThay! early morning. The second morning the person was called called out on it. It was too funny.

As far as dogs on the camping trip, those in my group that have them, usually bring their dogs. So far we've had no problems. Love when the dogs join us on our trips.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
There was a lot of the second mentioned going on at my last camp outing. I was like WThay! early morning. The second morning the person was called called out on it. It was too funny.

As far as dogs on the camping trip, those in my group that have them, usually bring their dogs. So far we've had no problems. Love when the dogs join us on our trips.
What?
Didn't any of you folks ever watch "Blazing Saddles" and the camp fire scene with "Slim Picken"? I laughed so hard I had tears running out of my eyes.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,405,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I'm no longer allowed to take pork and beans on our camping trips.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm no longer allowed to take pork and beans on our camping trips.
Oh you poor thing, what's a camping trip without them, "BORING" . Well there's always fried cabbage.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 PM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Note to self, never camp near EarthBound.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,449,260 times
A lot of good advice here. I'm not sure what the wildlife near where you will be camping so look into that. Good advice on pepper spray and just common sense keeping camp clean and as odor free of food as possible. Will you be in a set campground or off on your own? If you'll be carrying everything on your backs into a more remote area, that limits what you can bring. Keep an eye on doggier and he'll be fine.
I cannot stress enough getting a good tent. Buy bigger than you think you might need. Amazing how your every day stuff takes up a lot of room! Also as others have mentioned, a good air mattress. Find out what the night time temps will be and buy sleeping bags to suit. Getting a good nights sleep works wonders for enjoying your camping experience. Oh yeah don't forget bug spray! Look into Thermo Cell bug repellent products too. These things work great! I used one when bear hunting in Maine and it kept the mosquitoes and black flies away.
We've done everything from camping with our pop-up trailer to wilderness camping on horseback in the mountains of Wyoming. It's a fantastic way to enjoy nature.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Note to self, never camp near EarthBound.
Why do you think I never talk about buying bottle GAS . Besides that, it's a great way to keep the bears away

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,376 times
In the west, fires are placed in a fire pan/pit, not on open ground. So if your spot does not have a pit and you do not have a pan, skip fires. The pan enables you to extinguish the hot coals and pack out the charcoal and leave NO Trace for the next camper. Campsites do not allow firewood collection, so plan to purchase a bundle of wood or determine places in route where wood collecting is permitted. Downed branches about wrist thick are easier to snap into smaller pieces to fit inside the fire ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing