U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM

36,616 posts, read 41,896,432 times

Advertisements

Okay, not TOTALLY new to camping...

But SO and I are planning to take a camping trip this summer, and it's been YEARS and years...since I was a kid, really, and the adults did all the prep at that time. So in preparing, I'm proceeding as if I WERE totally new to camping, just to be safe.

While we're still in the early planning stages, here are some of the details:

*We plan to go in summer, to South Dakota (Badlands area, most likely), in either early June or early July.

*We are planning nothing too hardcore...easy hikes, etc. This is going to be more of the "peaceful, relaxing" basic camping-type outdoor experience, not the "EXTREEEEEEME NATURE! SURVIVAL MODE!!! CHALLENGE THE ELEMENTS!!! WRESTLE A GRIZZLY AND RAPPEL DOWN A CLIFF FACE!!! RAAAAAHR!" type experience.

*We plan to tent camp, and we plan to cook outdoors, with a camp stove if we camp somewhere that disallows campfires.

*We plan to take our dog, a medium-sized beagle/hound mix.

*We plan to be gone 5-7 days.

*We will probably do a couple of short-term "practice" runs on weekends at places close to home, as well.

So, what do I need to know? Tips? Advice? Assume I know nothing of camping, square one. Thinking attire, equipment, basic info, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM

27 posts, read 122,949 times
for sd

snake-proof chaps and snake bite kits for the rattlers
magnum pepper spray for the coyotes and feral dogs
lots of water
peace pipe if you run into any injuns.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
• Dress in layers. The nights will likely be cool, at least in western SD, so be prepared for that with warm shirts, sweatshirts or sweaters, and a waterproof jacket.
• Always have a hat/cap for protection from the elements.
• Always have two pairs of shoes along in case one pair gets soaked.
• If you plan to hike much, wear two pairs of sox -- a light (silk) pair next to your skin and a thicker pair outside of them. That'll eliminate a blister or two.
• A good tent is well worth the investment. I've spent nights in tents that leaked. Not fun!
• A warm sleeping bag is also important. Plan on nights in the 40s, especially if you're going in June. If you camp at altitude, temps could drop to the 30s.
• If I were to do much tent camping these days, I'd get one of those big air mattresses -- the king or queen size that are a foot thick.
• A hand saw and small axe or hatchet for firewood. Also a folding shovel comes in handy. And a small knife for hot dog sticks, etc.
• A bag of charcoal can come in handy, and be sure to have charcoal lighter fluid. It helps burn even greenish wood.
• 5-gallon water jugs. At least one should be black for warming water for bathing, etc.
• Bug repellant with deet and sun screen.
• Coolers, Tupperware, paper plates, paper towels, silverware, dishpan, aluminum foil, etc.
• Camp stove, gas lantern, flashlight(s), cast iron cookware for firepit or camp stove. (Provided it's drive-up camping.)
• Rope for clothesline, etc.
• Beer.

Yeah, I'd make a list of things you need. Then take your weekend camping trips and start adding to your list. Have paper and pencil with you for every camping trip, and always add to your list when you wish you had something.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Okay, not TOTALLY new to camping...

But SO and I are planning to take a camping trip this summer, and it's been YEARS and years...since I was a kid, really, and the adults did all the prep at that time. So in preparing, I'm proceeding as if I WERE totally new to camping, just to be safe.

While we're still in the early planning stages, here are some of the details:

*We plan to go in summer, to South Dakota (Badlands area, most likely), in either early June or early July.

*We are planning nothing too hardcore...easy hikes, etc. This is going to be more of the "peaceful, relaxing" basic camping-type outdoor experience, not the "EXTREEEEEEME NATURE! SURVIVAL MODE!!! CHALLENGE THE ELEMENTS!!! WRESTLE A GRIZZLY AND RAPPEL DOWN A CLIFF FACE!!! RAAAAAHR!" type experience.

*We plan to tent camp, and we plan to cook outdoors, with a camp stove if we camp somewhere that disallows campfires.

*We plan to take our dog, a medium-sized beagle/hound mix.

*We plan to be gone 5-7 days.

*We will probably do a couple of short-term "practice" runs on weekends at places close to home, as well.

So, what do I need to know? Tips? Advice? Assume I know nothing of camping, square one. Thinking attire, equipment, basic info, etc.
Check out this website. http://www.thepstyle.com

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,423,569 times
Collar, leash and longer tie line for the dog........screw-in type stake to tie the leash to.

Ensure dog owner information is attached to the dog collar.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,446,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Collar, leash and longer tie line for the dog........screw-in type stake to tie the leash to.

Ensure dog owner information is attached to the dog collar.
I just left a lengthy response to a thread of the same topic in the hobbies and recreation forum.

One thing I would add to what Cornerguy stated, is to be sure your pet's information tag has your cell phone number in case you lose your pet while away from home. It wouldn't help much if you lost your pet and had to wait until you got home to find out that someone found your pet near where you were camping.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:17 PM

36,616 posts, read 41,896,432 times
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Yep, our dog always wears tags with our cell # in addition to our home address, and he's also microchipped and his tag notes that.

We also always travel with a screw-in stake and 20' cable for tie-outs.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 AM

319 posts, read 553,240 times
Never keep food in your tent. Ever. And, if you're anal about it like me, you won't keep anything like deoderant, toothpaste, tobacco etc in there either. The last thing you want is an animal tearing up your tent. Especially when you're inside.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Make sure that you are always with someone that you can run faster than. In certain emergency situations, it is also acceptable to trip or push them over for your head start.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,133,448 times
Set up your tent once in your back yard at your leisure. Nothing like arriving at your campsite after dark, in the rain and then trying to figure out for the first time just how the darn thing goes up.

That's what happened to me on a solo camping trip with a borrowed tent that I got from my brother on the way to the mountains.

Not fun. But not so awful that I never went camping again, just a good lesson learned.

I used to add a small note in a plastic bag to my dogs collars and attach it with packing tape.
It would say "Staying at Jerseydale campgrounds, site ___, July 6 - 11, 2004

Hope you and the pooch have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing