Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I didn't realize it would need to be winterized or that storage might be a problem. I see people with them parked in their driveways or front lawns, so I thought anything goes. One thing I am seeing is that RV people on here seem to be educated and nice. RV lifestyle seems great to me now. I guess maybe there are books for DIY repair and upkeep? Can someone be specific of what they mean by "winterize" and can you not use it in the winter? Not good enough tires for some light snow? How do they lock? Can someone easily break in if you are off hiking? Thanks!

Winteizing an RV is not hard but if not done properly can cause a lot of problems....here is a link that tells you a little about it

http://winterize.adventurerv.net/

You also have to worry about keeping the batteries charged and many other issues depending on what type of RV you have....just like anything else the more buttons and goodies something has more problems they can cause.......Many lower end RV's are not made for harsh weather without installing special options, some companies sell RV's with these options already installed but be prepared to pay a much higher price, things like dual pane windows and extra insulation are just two of a number of extras you will need if you want to be comfortable either in extreme heat or cold.

RV's come in all shape and sizes, from simple pop ups that can be picked up for a few grand to 45 foot, 7 figure motor coaches, so it really all depends on what you want....the old saying of you get what you pay for really falls in line when you are discussing RV's

Your best bet is to start reading everything you can get your hands on, visit some dealers and attend some local RV shows or just take a day trip to one of your local campgrounds, most RV'ers are more and happy to show their rig off....Moderator cut: links to other forums not permitted

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-23-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,768,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I didn't realize it would need to be winterized or that storage might be a problem. I see people with them parked in their driveways or front lawns, so I thought anything goes. One thing I am seeing is that RV people on here seem to be educated and nice. RV lifestyle seems great to me now. I guess maybe there are books for DIY repair and upkeep? Can someone be specific of what they mean by "winterize" and can you not use it in the winter? Not good enough tires for some light snow? How do they lock? Can someone easily break in if you are off hiking? Thanks!
Check with your Towns Officials to be sure there isnt a law preventing you from parking your RV out front . Some locales have a problem with it. Good books available for DIY's . My factory tires work well in all weather including light snow. You can upgrade your exterior door with additional proper deadbolts but if you stay around other RVers, youll have no problems.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
We are 85 year old couple.. And looking at our bucket list think it is time to try rving...we
Just want to wander around spend a month or 2 "on the road"...we have homes in fl & md
We like comfort, we are not outdoor types...like golf...enjoy fine food etc...we r in good health
And enjoy meeting new people and seeing new places.
Would like any all thoughts re getting started...thanks in advance for your help

Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berne4822 View Post
We are 85 year old couple..
And looking at our bucket list think it is time to try rving...

Would like any all thoughts re getting started...
Go to the next item on your bucket list.

You can still do most of the traveling... just stay at places with cabins.
Or even nicer places if you actually want comfort and fine dining too.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
We are 85 year old couple.. And looking at our bucket list think it is time to try rving...we
Just want to wander around spend a month or 2 "on the road"...we have homes in fl & md
We like comfort, we are not outdoor types...like golf...enjoy fine food etc...we r in good health
Would like any all thoughts re getting started...thanks in advance for your help
I think an RV show is a good place to start. Or an RV dealer that doesn't push but let's you take your time and look around, get a feel for what you might like, get literature to look over.

Or check out an RV campground, walk around, ask people what they like and why.

There are some very comfortable RVs.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Why not just rent one for a month per year?That way you dont have to worry about maintenance,storage when not in use ,depreciation, or selling the thing if it turns out RVing isnt for you.

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/

http://gorving.com/where-to-find/rentals

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Interestingly I have had 3 couples in their 80's that I help around the farm, all get RV's in their 80's. The best idea is a class B van Good resale, EZ to get around and in an out of. I take couples who like camping, but no longer have driving privilege out in my Rialta.

Renting is much better idea than buying a used Class A or C. I have had to sell MANY. One adventurous couple drove theirs once (home) where it sat till I sold it.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
We are 85 year old couple.. ...We like comfort, we are not outdoor types...like golf...enjoy fine food etc...we r in good health
Would like any all thoughts re getting started...
thanks in advance for your help
join a Hospitality Guesthome travel club, like Evergreen or Affordable Travel. $10 - $20/night worldwide; I've been using guesthome travel for over 25 yrs. Very fun, safe, affordable, adventurous, educational and often very luxurious. Many hosts would love to take you golfing at spectacular local places.

If you end up with an RV, many hosts welcome you to stay for free at their RV sites.
Or use these http://freecampgrounds.com/

http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing