U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM
SBF SBF started this thread

15 posts, read 41,913 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be travelling with a load of horses from Florida, through northern Texas, Phoenix area, and then up the coast from California to Washington. I need places that would allow me to park my trailer, exercise my horses, and sleep for the night along the way. Please let me know if you know of any such parks or other places. Thanks.

I'd like to know of other such places in the country as well, as I transport horses cross-country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 AM

12,432 posts, read 31,483,930 times
State rest areas. When I & my son worked at the ones in WV. People with horses would stop & lunge their horses & let them relax & nibble at the grass. Also you can sleep there over nite! Of course the horse has to sleep in the trailer....No Fences so be Careful!!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,368,175 times
There are several "overnight horse facility" publications that list paid ads by stables that will accept overnight or a few day stay transient horses. When I had a commercial equine facility in Cheyenne, I listed with several of these and we got a lot of business from them. You can do a web search for these publications, and order them ... or maybe find a copy for sale at a local barn/tack shop where they accept transients.

Typically, the advertisers all have stalls/runs/corrals, fresh clean bedding, feed & hay, water, places to exercise your horses, and a place to park your trailer. It's important that the horse facilities for transients are kept clean and seperated from their boarded horses. Some even had accomodations on site for us, some pretty rustic bunkhouses ... and some, pretty deluxe condo's with hot tubs and living quarters.

I've hauled horses from coast to coast, throughout the Western USA, as far South as Naples, FL, and always had reasonable places to stay ... although some were a lot nicer than others, and I've had a couple where I had made reservations for the horses and arrived, took a good look around the place before unloading the horses, and re-negotiated the price and/or the facilities that we'd be using. The people I was hauling for were particular about their horse's condition upon getting to their destination, so were very concerned about safety, cleanliness, and not keeping the horses in the trailers more than 4 hours without a break, and no more than 8 hours of trailering time per day, with no more than three days in a row of trailering without a day of rest and exercise. When we arrived at the destination point, the horses were ready to go to work again, not all bound up from the haul.

Don't forget that all of the barns will require that you have current vet health papers, coggins tests, and proof of ownership/brand inspections for the horses. I'd be very concerned about any barn that let me unload the horses without showing the documents first and taking a brief look at the horses to be sure that none appeared to have obvious signs of illness (snotty noses, etc). It seems some states are pretty lax about these requirements, and don't check at ports of entry ... but many do. Be prepared and avoid the headaches of travel delays or possible impoundment/quarantine of the horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing