U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,785,192 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience using two way radios (brand/type?) to monitor their RV while they are visiting some attraction (museum, exhibit, indoor & outdoor, etc.)? We'll be traveling with two dogs and wanted to have some sort of monitoring ability while we are off looking at some attraction in the immediate area with the dogs in the RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 AM

12,450 posts, read 31,562,395 times
How about a Baby Monitor?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,433,756 times
Put an FM radio with its own antennae inside your RV and see what kind of reception you get from a fairly weak station........tin boxes do not make for great radio reception.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 46,907 times
Default Monitoring Pets in the RV

We've been RVing with dogs since 1999. We have never even considered what you are asking about. I question the need.

If you COULD find a radio monitoring system to do what you want you would probably have range limitations (5 miles?).

When we're in Kissimmee, FL at a campground and want to visit any of the local Orlando area attractions, we lock the coach, close the windows, make sure the air/heat is set properly and go. Dogs will generally sleep for much of the time you are away. Cats? They don't care.

Anyway, if you were 12 miles away AND you COULD receive a signal AND you heard the dogs barking, what could you do?

Lew Mann

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: ad removed

Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,785,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_Mann View Post
We've been RVing with dogs since 1999. We have never even considered what you are asking about. I question the need.

If you COULD find a radio monitoring system to do what you want you would probably have range limitations (5 miles?).

When we're in Kissimmee, FL at a campground and want to visit any of the local Orlando area attractions, we lock the coach, close the windows, make sure the air/heat is set properly and go. Dogs will generally sleep for much of the time you are away. Cats? They don't care.

Anyway, if you were 12 miles away AND you COULD receive a signal AND you heard the dogs barking, what could you do?

Lew Mann
I appreciate all the responses. Regarding the need - I'm just super cautious, new to RVing and exploring the options. We have a Class B and generally wouldn't ever be very far away from the coach. I previously searched a number of RV boards on the subject and didn't find much discussion on the topic (very likely an strong indicator that its a non-issue for most people). However I'm seriously interested in installing audio monitoring at a minimum and may end up incorporating visual as well. Its become something of a hobby/project as part of an overall RV security interest.

I previously checked out baby monitors which unfortunately are designed for very short range (within a typical house) and not workable range-wise. It looks like I'm going to need to have some custom modifications made to some off the shelf components to get it done.

Again, thanks for your responses.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,386,091 times
We travel with our dogs in a 5th-Wheel and get a great deal of fun from them. When we first started, we'd spend time in the camper in our driveway with our dogs. Packing, eating, reading... I'd walk out for a few minutes (stay within hearing range) and then return. Don't make a big deal of it, act like you're home. To them, it's just another room to sleep in. I leave the TV on. I check with the campground neighbors and they always say they don't hear any noise from our dogs. I guess it worked.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 PM

202 posts, read 405,022 times
They want to know if the dogs are having beer parties and "lady doggies of the evening" over while they are out. LOL

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,317,826 times
We RV full time. We have 2 dogs and have never had a problem with leaving them alone. Our female bulldog goes up and gets on the bed and sleeps while our corgi, a pup, is in his crate. In the last 3 years we have had 4 different dogs that were with us and it's just like at home, when we leave they just sleep. If your worried about the dogs barking then you can leave a radio on as to drown out outside noises. But we have never had a problem with them barking.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,514,905 times
I always leave the radio or TV on, similar to home and normal background noise. If not sure, get a crate, maybe put up a gate if that helps...As said before, practice before you leave...I didn't and my oldest freaked and took out the screen on the bottom...not pretty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing