U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,075,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Yeah, even the used ones are a big chunk of change. Be nice though if one could afford it.

OK, I'm old. Means cool, hip, fabulous.... (kinda like yourself )

Urban Dictionary: cats pajamas
Got it! Like the cat's meow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,032,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I am considering working in the medical field as a traveler. The assignments last about 13 weeks at a time. I have never done this before so your advise would be very important to me. I already have a Sport Trac but would like to know which travel trailer would be best. What other expenses should be considered? Is RV space on a long term basis expensive? It would house only me and my large dog (Akita) so my space needs would be limited but must have commode and shower.
People do it all of the time, the question you would have to ask yourself is would it save you money in the long run over just staying at extended stay hotels.

The vehicle you drive now would limit you to a smaller "lite" type trailer which can leave allot to be desired when trying to live in it full time for 13 weeks at a time...things like a very small cooking area, a small hot water heater, smaller holding tanks and cheaper light weight construction is the norm on "lite" trailers in order to keep the weight down.

The first problem that I see is your dog, you state that many people consider it aggressive, well I would think that many campground owners will feel the same and might also forbid you from having the dog at the campground so you are right back where you are now. Some campgrounds will not even allow you to keep a dog alone in the trailer when you are not there with it....these are all questions you will need answered before choosing a campground

As far as campground cost that is hard to answer as the cost can vary greatly from one place to another...... Some campgrounds will rent on a monthly type bases depending on the season but many times the monthly rent does not include electric so plan on paying that on a separate bill...so one campground might charge 300 for the month in one part of the country, someplace else may charge 2000 a month if its in a popular tourist area....campgrounds are a supply and demand type operation and are priced accordingly

Weather is also another factor you will have to deal with depending on where you plan to work. A typical TT is not built for extreme weather condition be it summer or winter without costly mods and add on’s

If this is something you really want to do then go for it....but remember a small trailer will get even smaller real quick...spend allot of time looking at them before you buy...Find the one that has the best floor plan for you.....pretend cooking in the kitchen, can you really get more than one pan on the cook top at a time? Get into the shower and pretend to take a shower...do you have head room and elbow room to move around to wash your hair and shave?..Lay on the bed, do your feet hang off the end? Sit on the toilet, do your knees hit the wall?.....Think about what you want to carry with you in the trailer, can you even get half of what you want to carry in the trailer before you are over the weight limit?.......Those are just a few questions of many you will want to have answered before you sign on the dotted line.....but you would be surprised at the number of first timers that don’t have those answers before buying and they end up paying for it big time in the end

I would seriously look at either upgrading your tow vehicle to something much larger so you would have more options to choose from as far as TT's or 5th wheels or branch out your options and look at some used class A models and use your Sport Trac as a toad....I would at least explore these other options before you make a purchase

Last edited by rtandc; 02-17-2010 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,075,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
People do it all of the time, the question you would have to ask yourself is would it save you money in the long run over just staying at extended stay hotels.

The vehicle you drive now would limit you to a smaller "lite" type trailer which can leave allot to be desired when trying to live in it full time for 13 weeks at a time...things like a very small cooking area, a small hot water heater, smaller holding tanks and cheaper light weight construction is the norm on "lite" trailers in order to keep the weight down.

The first problem that I see is your dog, you state that many people consider it aggressive, well I would think that many campground owners will feel the same and might also forbid you from having the dog at the campground so you are right back where you are now. Some campgrounds will not even allow you to keep a dog alone in the trailer when you are not there with it....these are all questions you will need answered before choosing a campground

As far as campground cost that is hard to answer as the cost can vary greatly from one place to another...... Some campgrounds will rent on a monthly type bases depending on the season but many times the monthly rent does not include electric so plan on paying that on a separate bill...so one campground might charge 300 for the month in one part of the country, someplace else may charge 2000 a month if its in a popular tourist area....campgrounds are a supply and demand type operation and are priced accordingly

Weather is also another factor you will have to deal with depending on where you plan to work. A typical TT is not built for extreme weather condition be it summer or winter without costly mods and add onís

If this is something you really want to do then go for it....but remember a small trailer will get even smaller real quick...spend allot of time looking at them before you buy...Find the one that has the best floor plan for you.....pretend cooking in the kitchen, can you really get more than one pan on the cook top at a time? Get into the shower and pretend to take a shower...do you have head room and elbow room to move around to wash your hair and shave?..Lay on the bed, do your feet hang off the end? Sit on the toilet, do your knees hit the wall?.....Think about what you want to carry with you in the trailer, can you even get half of what you want to carry in the trailer before you are over the weight limit?.......Those are just a few questions of many you will want to have answered before you sign on the dotted line.....but you would be surprised at the number of first timers that donít have those answers before buying and they end up paying for it big time in the end

I would seriously look at either upgrading your tow vehicle to something much larger so you would have more options to choose from as far as TT's or 5th wheels or branch out your options and look at some used class A models and use your Sport Trac as a toad....I would at least explore these other options before you make a purchase
Thank you for the tips on what to look for. I will look at various TT for now because Medicare will be making some changes soon and I think I better wait until the smoke clears with these changes. Who knows, Medicare may cut reimbursement back so far that travel companies may have to be cut back themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing