U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,075,421 times

Advertisements

I am considering working in the medical field as a traveler. The assignments last about 13 weeks at a time. I have never done this before so your advise would be very important to me. I already have a Sport Trac but would like to know which travel trailer would be best. What other expenses should be considered? Is RV space on a long term basis expensive? It would house only me and my large dog (Akita) so my space needs would be limited but must have commode and shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
Does the Company Not cover your Housing?? My gf DD does this. She spent a yr in HI they rented her an apt. 3 mos in Boston they put her in a Hotel. Yes she took her dog tho he was lots smaller than yours lol

Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Does the Company Not cover your Housing?? My gf DD does this. She spent a yr in HI they rented her an apt. 3 mos in Boston they put her in a Hotel. Yes she took her dog tho he was lots smaller than yours lol
Yes I can but with larger dogs it harder to find places to stay and some think the breed I have is aggressive... she is only if you try to do something to either her or myself . Also the stipend which they give can come to me and I can go camping since I love camping...more like a paid vacation. I've stayed in enough hotels; it gets kind of boring after awhile.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 AM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
Your Sport Trac isn't really capable of pulling a trailer large enough for full-time use. You'd be limited to very, very small, ultra-light travel trailers -- like this one. If you want to do this you'd be better off getting a 1-ton pickup -- maybe a 3/4 ton at the least, but I wouldn't even advise that.

Most people who live in their campers for extended times have heavy 5th wheels which will weigh 15,000 to 20,000 pounds loaded. (1-ton and larger truck category) The small weekender variety usually gross around 10,000 pounds. The cost of parking space by the month will vary depending on what part of the country, how nice you want the park to be and other things, but you'd normally be looking at $300 ($10/day) and up for extended stays. This usually includes electricity, water and sewer... maybe WiFi. You might be able to cut that price a little with club memberships, bargain shopping, etc., but not by much.

I usually send interested people like you to rv.net. Membership is free, and you'll find lots of advice and opinions. Escapes is another good one, mostly for full-time RVers. It has a smaller membership, but there are fewer flakes.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Your Sport Trac isn't really capable of pulling a trailer large enough for full-time use. You'd be limited to very, very small, ultra-light travel trailers -- like this one. If you want to do this you'd be better off getting a 1-ton pickup -- maybe a 3/4 ton at the least, but I wouldn't even advise that.

Most people who live in their campers for extended times have heavy 5th wheels which will weigh 15,000 to 20,000 pounds loaded. (1-ton and larger truck category) The small weekender variety usually gross around 10,000 pounds. The cost of parking space by the month will vary depending on what part of the country, how nice you want the park to be and other things, but you'd normally be looking at $300 ($10/day) and up for extended stays. This usually includes electricity, water and sewer... maybe WiFi. You might be able to cut that price a little with club memberships, bargain shopping, etc., but not by much.

I usually send interested people like you to rv.net. Membership is free, and you'll find lots of advice and opinions. Escapes is another good one, mostly for full-time RVers. It has a smaller membership, but there are fewer flakes.
The smaller trailer you suggested would be more my size. I would only be using it for sleeping and bathing through the week. I am not picky. I lived in the luxurious to rickety places so I can be very flexible with my living condition as long as it is clean. The time spent will be in the 13 weeks on then 13 weeks off to go and work close to home. I will check out the rv site and I'll watch out for the falling flakes

Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
Just check out the hauling and towing limits of your tow vehicle, then find the GVWR of the trailer. I believe even the small ultra-light that I linked to was a little over the max towing weight of your Sport Trac -- which might be doable if you pack lightly, but it's the absolute maximum.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Just check out the hauling and towing limits of your tow vehicle, then find the GVWR of the trailer. I believe even the small ultra-light that I linked to was a little over the max towing weight of your Sport Trac -- which might be doable if you pack lightly, but it's the absolute maximum.
Will do!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,133,448 times
Don't know what kind of $$$$$ you're willing to spend but here is another alternative:

Roadtrek Motorhome, RV Camper Van, Class B Motor Homes

I met a couple of folks who had them and thought they were the cats pajamas.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Don't know what kind of $$$$$ you're willing to spend but here is another alternative:

Roadtrek Motorhome, RV Camper Van, Class B Motor Homes

I met a couple of folks who had them and thought they were the cats pajamas.
An very extraordinary SUV/van but pricey but...Cat pajamas???

Last edited by eyewrist; 02-16-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,133,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
An very extraordinary SUV/van but pricey but...Cat pajamas???
Yeah, even the used ones are a big chunk of change. Be nice though if one could afford it.

OK, I'm old. Means cool, hip, fabulous.... (kinda like yourself )

Urban Dictionary: cats pajamas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing