U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 AM

5,714 posts, read 12,832,859 times

Advertisements

We traveled down to Pensacola,FL from upstate NY on the western route. Most of the roads were in good shape, although in VA the rest stops were all closed and didn't have tolls until the FL Turnpike, where they hit you for $3 constantly.

We returned from the FL Keys on the eastern route (I95) and found there are NO rest stops in GA, the road conditions in VA were a disgrace, not to mention the pot holes a cow could fall in, the only rest stops in NJ were at the service plazas and limit you to 2 hours. The cost of tolls from MD to upstate NY for the RV and towed car were approximately $65.

Coming up I95 from MD through NJ we couldn't find a RV park for the night. Granted, it was February, but NJ isn't very RV friendly at all. We will NEVER use the I95 from VA to upstate again. Richmond, the capital of VA, roads were in terrible shape. It wasn't only from the snow, the roads haven't been resurfaced in years, just patched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,552,501 times
There are many states that are NOT RV friendly. While Nevada ranks as the most unfriendly to RVers, NY does not but Long Island does. I have not driven the east coast for quite a while now. I have found Louisiana on the west side to have those same pot holes that can swallow a cow as you described it. The east side was wonderful. In Nevada they even banned RVs from going into a Walmart and that includes just to shop!!

I know the reason many states have closed off their rest stops. Don't anyone dare send me hate mail and don't give me a mod ding. The truth is many rest stops have become havens for sexual activity, especially among the gay population. So the states have decided to just close them down.

I am intimately familiar with the NJ rest stops you speak of. The service areas you speak of on the GSP do not even allow RVs or any trucks on those roads. The NJTP does and are quick safe places to rest. When I lived there I don't remember any time limits.

If you ever take the north/south route again skip that 95 crap. Instead take 13 through Maryland and Delaware. It is more direct and more scenic and you will find many campgrounds along the Del-Mar peninsula. 13 is great through most of Virginia but the very bottom just before entry into North Carolina gets too hairy. The roads get a bit scary for an RV. They may have widened all that by now though. NC did not want to pay for it so Virginia was offering to pay for it all.

I just thought of something. Mississippi had great roads and wonderful rest stops designed just for RVers and all had night time security. I never seen anything like it. There is a very large rest stop next to NASA that even has shuttles to NASA from the rest stop. There were dump stations as well as fresh water fill up and WIFI.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 AM

Default NJ Garden State Parkway

From what I read, the GSP (aka the Garden State Parking lot) allows RVs (up to 50 ft) but they have shrunk the lanes and they are difficult to drive within the lines even in a car. Also they have a lot of construction in the south and heavy traffic has only made it worse.

The Turnpike has signs in the truck/RV parking area limiting the parking to two hours.

Next year we will definitely use the western route and try 13. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
From what I read, the GSP (aka the Garden State Parking lot) allows RVs (up to 50 ft) but they have shrunk the lanes and they are difficult to drive within the lines even in a car. Also they have a lot of construction in the south and heavy traffic has only made it worse.

The Turnpike has signs in the truck/RV parking area limiting the parking to two hours.

Next year we will definitely use the western route and try 13. Thanks.
Ya know.....I never heard of RVs on the GSP and I lived there for 38 years before escaping. So I got curious. I started searching for this answer and got a different answer with every click I made. Most answers seem to point to no RVs north of exit 105.

Many answers say the rules are not enforced. So I don't know if RVs can go on the GSP and if so where or where not.

Strange huh?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ya know.....I never heard of RVs on the GSP and I lived there for 38 years before escaping. So I got curious. I started searching for this answer and got a different answer with every click I made. Most answers seem to point to no RVs north of exit 105.

Many answers say the rules are not enforced. So I don't know if RVs can go on the GSP and if so where or where not.

Strange huh?
We couldn't get a definitive answer about the GSP either. One site indicated Exit 105 information and the other 50' rule. There is a huge amount of construction on the GSP in southern NJ adding lanes.

We did find out that we couldn't go through the tunnels in Baltimore because of the propane i.e. hazardous material. Several RVers wrote on a blog that the police watched for RVers and ticketed them if they used the tunnels.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We couldn't get a definitive answer about the GSP either. One site indicated Exit 105 information and the other 50' rule. There is a huge amount of construction on the GSP in southern NJ adding lanes.

We did find out that we couldn't go through the tunnels in Baltimore because of the propane i.e. hazardous material. Several RVers wrote on a blog that the police watched for RVers and ticketed them if they used the tunnels.
I been back and forth through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel many times. They make you pull over and they watch as you turn off the valve on the LP. How stupid. At times they turn their heads as soon as they see you turn the valve and then I turn it right back on. I don't feel like stopping again after the tunnel.

Down here on the Galveston Auto Ferries they ask you if you turned the LP off. You just say yes and if they look at you crooked you just go out and make believe you do it.

Maybe what I am saying is everyone knows the rules are useless and don't bother enforcing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing