Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times

Advertisements

O.K.,lets hear it, the pro's and cons of a Class C. We have always done the tow behind thing but now are curious about a driving type for easy set up and take down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I like my 'mini' class C that gets 20 mpg (Rialta), but... I wouldn't try living in it with 2. There are plenty of class C's that will work for that, and are very inexpensive to buy and own.

I prefer using my 50 mpg Passat to travel and using private guest homes ($10 - $20 / night).

I just finished a hitch set-up tonight, and will be making a micro camping trailer for it. I think I can end up with a 44mpg RV. I will use a motor-aid HW heater and small holding tank w/ outdoor shower + a very efficient 12V fridge (they make some nice ones now). That will be for the few days I need to camp.

I use Free Campgrounds for RVs and eat on about $3 / day. Using free fryer grease for fuel, my trips are pretty inexpensive.

For a class C, I would get a used Sprinter chassis. Those really drive nice and get ~ 17 mpg. I have a friend who picked up a wrecked one VERY cheap. It was fixed like new and about 1/3rd the price (total investment). Many original owners are willing to part with damaged RV's for a song. I live in a climate w 120" of rain / yr, and if fixed correctly, they don't leak. As long as there was no damage to steering geometry or drive train, I have no problem with owning one as a driver. Many RV crashes are 'overhead' clearance and backing onto something. I can deal with that!

I met lots of folks living in class c's and working at national parks. Most of them had paid less than $5000 for their RV's.

If I need something bigger, I will buy a 28' moving van semi trailer and tow it behind my Mack. For 'fulltime' I would make a 'toter' from a Volvo semi w/ condo-queen sleeper. A friend from CDN gets 13 mpg with his Volvo, and it is MUCH quieter, cheaper, and nicer than his previous Freightliner toter. (which got 8 mpg). My 4x4 dually cummins gets 20 mpg, I would consider making it into a 'trekker' class C.

BTW, I think fuel prices are gonna get ugly (again) someday.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
The only major drawback to a class C compared to a class A that most people have is just the lack of room in the front (driving) compartment especially if you are larger or taller than the average person. Everything else just falls under your own personal preference and how fat your wallet is….

Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I moved up from a TT to a Class C. I researched all the pluses and minuses from As and Cs and none else mattered when I sat the drivers seat of both. From sitting in a comfortable truck like seat in a C to sitting in a wide open strange uncomfortable feeling of an A and there was no contest. I would not be comfortable driving an A but maybe I will change my mind when I am an old fart.

The A will have a much smoother ride and you get more usable space too. That is the biggest difference. A class A will give you a tad more under storage but not much more then a C. If you are a rich snob then you must know that there are some RV parks in America who ban and discriminate against everyone but class A.

Test drive them both and feel for yourself.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I moved up from a TT to a Class C. I researched all the pluses and minuses from As and Cs and none else mattered when I sat the drivers seat of both. From sitting in a comfortable truck like seat in a C to sitting in a wide open strange uncomfortable feeling of an A and there was no contest. I would not be comfortable driving an A but maybe I will change my mind when I am an old fart.

The A will have a much smoother ride and you get more usable space too. That is the biggest difference. A class A will give you a tad more under storage but not much more then a C. If you are a rich snob then you must know that there are some RV parks in America who ban and discriminate against everyone but class A.

Test drive them both and feel for yourself.
Been called a bunch of things in my life but rich snob is not one of them. I know what you mean and it's not an issue for us. We are still just weekend warriors and don't go more than an hour or two from home. If we get something like the class c we might venture out for a week here or there but that would be about it. One of the things that concerns me is the lack of another vehicle when you get there. I just don't see us towing a car so I guess we would be limited to driving the unit or staying put.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Been called a bunch of things in my life but rich snob is not one of them. I know what you mean and it's not an issue for us. We are still just weekend warriors and don't go more than an hour or two from home. If we get something like the class c we might venture out for a week here or there but that would be about it. One of the things that concerns me is the lack of another vehicle when you get there. I just don't see us towing a car so I guess we would be limited to driving the unit or staying put.
I hate towing. That is the biggest reason we sold the TT and bough the C. Before we became full timers and were weekend warriors like you are now we would search out car rental places nearest to the RV park we were heading. If it was close enough, Enterprise would come and get you from the RV park. Otherwise we stopped on the way to the RV park and rented the car. She would drive the car and I drove the RV to the park. We had a car for whatever time we needed. By the time we paid the extra gas to tow the toad we broke even renting. And think of all the less stress not pulling a toad.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
If you are going Class C, get a Lazy Daze, there is no better quality. We looked at Cs and ended up going with an Airstream Interstate Class B for utility/functional reasons (it was more expensive than the 27' lazy Daze). Your ultimate choice is entirely personal to your specific requirements, luck to you.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I've rented Cs a handful of times and enjoyed them. I like them when they're small enough for city driving -- under 30 feet or so. I've owned truck campers and 5th wheels most of my life, a 5er for the past 10 years.

My favorite is still the truck camper, but my wife likes more room -- a bed she can walk around, etc. Understandable, especially as we're getting older. So we got a 5th wheel and will probably stick with them as we transition into full-time campers.

Pickup campers and class Cs are a little tricky in windy conditions. That's my biggest gripe with both, living in windy Wyoming. I almost lost a pickup camper to a side wind once in Iowa, and I felt the need to pull off the road and wait out a thunder storm in Billings with a class C. I've since talked to fellow campers in campgrounds that were staying put with their class Cs because of strong winds. I never have that problem with a 5er. I've been in some wicked windstorms with it, and it handles extremely well.

As for quick set-ups, yeah, if you don't have to unhook a toad, I'm sure motorhomes are quicker. Most have the automatic leveling system now, which is pretty slick. That's a $4000 option on typical 5ers, and most folks figure they can find a better place to spend $4000. I'm one of them! But if you have a 5er with the "Big Foot" leveling option, I'd think set-up and tear-down would rival that of a motorhome.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. We like to go 4-wheeling in the mountains on most of our camping trips, so it's pull the 5er with our 4x4 or pull a 4x4 with a motorhome. I'd rather not have another vehicle to maintain, so the 5er makes sense to us.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I like my 'mini' class C that gets 20 mpg (Rialta), but... I wouldn't try living in it with 2. There are plenty of class C's that will work for that, and are very inexpensive to buy and own.

I prefer using my 50 mpg Passat to travel and using private guest homes ($10 - $20 / night).

I just finished a hitch set-up tonight, and will be making a micro camping trailer for it. I think I can end up with a 44mpg RV. I will use a motor-aid HW heater and small holding tank w/ outdoor shower + a very efficient 12V fridge (they make some nice ones now). That will be for the few days I need to camp.

I use Free Campgrounds for RVs and eat on about $3 / day. Using free fryer grease for fuel, my trips are pretty inexpensive.

For a class C, I would get a used Sprinter chassis. Those really drive nice and get ~ 17 mpg. I have a friend who picked up a wrecked one VERY cheap. It was fixed like new and about 1/3rd the price (total investment). Many original owners are willing to part with damaged RV's for a song. I live in a climate w 120" of rain / yr, and if fixed correctly, they don't leak. As long as there was no damage to steering geometry or drive train, I have no problem with owning one as a driver. Many RV crashes are 'overhead' clearance and backing onto something. I can deal with that!

I met lots of folks living in class c's and working at national parks. Most of them had paid less than $5000 for their RV's.

If I need something bigger, I will buy a 28' moving van semi trailer and tow it behind my Mack. For 'fulltime' I would make a 'toter' from a Volvo semi w/ condo-queen sleeper. A friend from CDN gets 13 mpg with his Volvo, and it is MUCH quieter, cheaper, and nicer than his previous Freightliner toter. (which got 8 mpg). My 4x4 dually cummins gets 20 mpg, I would consider making it into a 'trekker' class C.

BTW, I think fuel prices are gonna get ugly (again) someday.
Out of curiosity what do your meals consist of for 3 dollars per day?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Out of curiosity what do your meals consist of for 3 dollars per day?
Actually quite decent .

today - (all homemade)
fruit smoothy from $.09/# pears, $.22 apples, $.27 melon. Scottish oatmeal ($.44/#), plenty of flax seed in each. (most expensive meal ~ $1 worth of ingredients)

mid-day, celery and peanut butter (~$.10)

lunch - tostada w/ cheese, beans and lettuce (~$.50)

supper - BBQ pork, and apple salad. (~$.50)

dessert - Root Beer float w/ $.79 2L (lasts a week) and a dab of Ice Cream (lasts a month) ($.20)

Plenty of homemade granola, and LOTS of water. (no coffee, or other brews)

Probably spent less than $3. I put $100 in an envelope, when its gone, I'm done eating. Good thing I like soups and potatoes. (been doing this since the 1970's, I'm the same weight, but not the same W-I-D-T-H).

This week lots of PNW wild salmon (I get it for $3/#). one fish ($12) served 6 servings + made 6qts of salmon chowder. (yum)

my chest freezer is still over 1/2 full. mostly fruit and salmon.

For road trips, I do;
Yogurt and banana for Breakfast (~$.60)(eggs if camping, cheaper ~$.20)
Lunch = sandwich; splurge = 1 item from Wendy's $.99 menu + water
Supper = some cheese and meat from grocery or '$.10' Top Ramen with some veggies.

Being a 'farm-kid', I can be resourceful and always share my bounty, and am shared with too

I have never had a job that provided free food, but I think I could deal with that. One of my friends did a stint in Antarctica last yr and said the food was great. I like volunteering on farms at harvest time, as the food is superb, and the long days (5AM - 10 PM) go rather quickly.

But I'm also a 'spender' $300 for a set of used 'jumbo' tires (385/65x22.5) for my Mack truck last week (I guess my Mack 3 axle would qualify for my Class A; no marble or carpet, no slides; but does have a 22' dump-bed!! )
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-ls-way-up.jpg Less than $3000 too, for a 1995!!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-16-2010 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing