U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,907,294 times

Advertisements

Know about that MS plague. We run open office ourselves.

Greatly appreciate all your insight. Maybe I will get that F650 with the cummins yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM

FINALLY. Found a nice 1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins 12 valve. Getting the trailer ready and goind for our first trip last week of June.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Great to hear you are nearly on your way.

Auto, or Manual tranny? Might want to add a temp gauge if Auto. And of course stay out of OD (fortunately you have a lock-up TC in that yr). I just use a ScangageII as my tranny temp gauge (as wells as trip computer and diagnostic tool on my 2000 Rialta)

My Dodge CTD factory 'under body cooler' (with fan that is fairly loud) is very effective.

Best wishes on the 'Shake-down-cruise', Have a great time.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Great to hear you are nearly on your way.

Auto, or Manual tranny? Might want to add a temp gauge if Auto. And of course stay out of OD (fortunately you have a lock-up TC in that yr). I just use a ScangageII as my tranny temp gauge (as wells as trip computer and diagnostic tool on my 2000 Rialta)

My Dodge CTD factory 'under body cooler' (with fan that is fairly loud) is very effective.

Best wishes on the 'Shake-down-cruise', Have a great time.

Automatic that needs a tweak. Looking at the gages and cooler.

We are excited and after waiting / looking we think we got it at a very good price.

Did I say we are excited?

Thanks for the insights you shared with us rabbit!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 AM

Took our cummins for a trip to MI over the 4th. Unfortunately because of the transmission and no brake controller, we did not take the trailer.

It was a great opportunity to see what he diesel would do and how we might utilize the interior as it is somewhat larger than our Chevy 1500.

We have moved the 30 foot HR around town and the Dodge isn't bothered at all by the weight.

Overall, we are very comfortable with the truck and look forward to our great adventure to Yellowstone in 2011.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Just an up date---We are now hauling a 33 foot 12K pound 5er with the cummins. The trans is ok now that we replaces the TPS with a potentiometer. We have done a few mods including a #10 fuel plate, BHAF, tweaked the AFC and added fuel pressure, boost and EGT gauges...
We love the way it pulls. We spent last summer going from NC to Detroit around Wisconsin to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and back down I75 to Detroit before returning to NC..

Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 PM

wow. Hard to believe it has been 4 years since we found our 1998 Dodge Cummins in Waynesville North Carolina.
Since then we have hauled our 5er to Florida and up around the Great Lakes via Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Sadly on our exit of North Carolina our Dodge blew the transmission with the 5er near the top of Fancy Gap Virginia.
We managed to limp home without the 5er and repair the trans.
Since then we have added gauges, a #10 fuel plate and a lock-out for the front axle.

We have put nearly 100,000 miles on the Dodge since we brought it home in June 2010. It has been a great truck and we love traveling in it with our two hounds.
This summer we are staying put here in Michigan and I will be able to replace a few parts as preventative maintenance.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 AM

25,583 posts, read 31,836,507 times
That is impressive. It is a 16 year old truck. A transmission puking its pigs shouldn't be a surprise. With a rebuilt transmission there's no reason why you couldn't get another 16 years out of it.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Had I known you were NORTH I would have sent you to DTT (Or equivalent) a couple yrs ago.

Getting the right TC and stall speed for Cummins RPM will make a HUGE difference in your Tranny temp and performance.

Add a BIG fan assist tranny cooler and use good quality synthetic and you should be good for far more than 16 yrs.

I have a w350 that tugs around my dozer through the mtns (30,000# GCVW). The factory fan assist rear tranny cooler is LOUD and pulls a lot of heat out FAST. You can add a manual switch to 'anticipate' the mtn passes and never run it over 180F.

Good luck... someday in my dreams I will find a 98 12V. I will add a 13spd RTO Roadranger, We just did that to a friend's 1st Gen Cummins. Very nice addition for towing dozers in the mtns. Had to do a 3" cab lift to clear the WIDE twin countershaft tranny. It was only $1500 for the whole conversion ($750 for the tranny).

Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,144,871 times
I learned some time ago there is no perfect camping rig, some where, some place there is always a draw back. I've owned and used everything available except the later 'toy haulers'. Presently I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4X4, with it I tow a 22 foot 5th wheel trailer. This is the third 5th wheel I have owned, the first one being a 28" trailer. Unless you are going to actually live in a trailer, rather than camp in it, bigger is not better. A 5th wheel over 28" in length is much more difficult to maneuver around in a camp ground than a smaller trailer, they also take more fuel to haul, and more horse power in hilly country. My advice is to stick with something under 24-25 feet unless you absolutely need the extra room. Height also makes a big difference, while it might be nice, it is a pain in the back side in smaller parks. Previously I owned a Ford F250 with a 460 for towing, and while it worked ok, it didn't like passing up a gas station. I next tried a Chev K1500 4X4, it was a pleasure to drive, but totally worthless for pulling even a small 5th wheel trailer, just not enough power coming out of a 350 Vortec engine. I wanted a change and I consulted a friend who was a sales rep, he pulled a 35 foot 5th wheel all over the Western states and didn't seem to have any problems. He told me to get a Dodge diesel, 3/4 ton, and not to get one newer than a 2003 or 2004 if I wanted to get the best fuel mileage. Finding one with few miles on it was impossible, but I finally found one with 140K miles on the odometer. I've had it going on three years, and the fuel economy still amazes me. I try to drive with economy in mind, and I keep my speed less that 65 MPH, usually travel at about 58 MPH. I get consistently 22 MPG, and have gotten over 25 MPG, bare in mind I live in a mountainous region. When I'm towing I've gotten as high as 18 MPG where I live, it the flat lands of Northern California, I can get almost 20 MPG. This truck seems to have plenty of power to pull my 22' 5th wheel, which has a slide out. For myself, 5th wheels are the answer because they pull so well compared to a bumper pull trailer, and are fast to hook up and unhook. One thing I wish I had was an engine break on the truck, it would help when I'm on a freeway going down hill with several large freight trucks around me, I don't want my speed to be pushed up over 65 MPH to stay out of the way of these trucks. I just sold a Ford F250 deisel that I bought to use with the 5th wheel trailer, but never did use it because of the engine noise. I'm happy with what I have, glad I didn't get a new truck, my friends with newer Dodge's don't get the mileage I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing