U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:19 PM

713 posts, read 3,022,763 times

Advertisements

After looking up a few used class C RV's I found one that seems really cheap. It's a 1994 Gulfstream Ultra 29', 78,999 miles on it and only cost $10,995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,137,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
After looking up a few used class C RV's I found one that seems really cheap. It's a 1994 Gulfstream Ultra 29', 78,999 miles on it and only cost $10,995.

With a 15-year-old unit the deciding factors on whether it's a good deal are the the mechanical condition, maintenance history, and interior condition of the unit.

If the previous owner(s) skimped on maintaining things or abused the unit, you could find yourself looking at a lack of reliability and some serious repair bills.

Hire an experienced mechanic to check out this gem before handing over your cash.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Its from a dealership near me and on the description for all there units, it states it comes "as is" so you get what they bought. If it does need repairs the repairs added to the total might bring the baby up enough that it would be cheaper to buy a more expensive unit that is in better condition than buying a cheaper model that needs repairs.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
There are exceptional bargains on ClassA's, especially gas powered. They are often much cheaper than van conversions (that get 3x the mileage and have 1/3rd the room). I saw a Sprinter and a 32' diesel pusher w/ 2 slides sitting side by side, and the Sprinter was considerable more $$.

The Gulfstream can be a very nice unit, I would have it thoroughly checked out by a 3rd party. There are lots of detailed check sheets for RV evaluations posted on web. For my 20 mpg Class C RV there is a specific sheet for that particular model with well over 100 items to check. Remote sellers were not totally impressed when I emailed the list and sent them to an RV inspection place to get 'tested'. That was money well spent from my perspective. I ended up getting a One-owner, BY OWNER; Sight unseen. Flew in and drove it 5000 trouble free miles home (scenic route ) No surprises, except it still smells new (and is nearly 10 yrs old) No pets, no smoke, no alcohol, no shoes allowed by PO. There are bunches of really pristine used class A's out there. I wouldn't shy away, but I would have a complete test, especially any areas needing to have fresh seals (roof / drainage system, water pressure, gensets...). I would not be keen on something that sat outside, especially in the heat, cold, or wet.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 AM

Duplicate post due to crummy connection bumping me off - please delete

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-02-2010 at 02:13 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 AM

Attn: MOD, a couple 'stickies' might help folks find stuff in this forum. (Tho I generally don't prefer subforums and stickies)
i.e.
RV-Tech
RV camping spots

Here are a few good sites for RV pre-purchase check lists;
http://www.rv.org/enc6969.pdf
Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist for Used Motorhome, RV, Campers and 5th Wheels (http://ezinearticles.com/?Pre-Purchase-Inspection-Checklist-for-Used-Motorhome,-RV,-Campers-and-5th-Wheels&id=585698 - broken link)
RV Checklists
RV Inspection Checklist

Expensive and important item to check on RV is tire DATE CODE. Tires are only good for 7 yrs, rubber degrades due to heat / outgassing of rubberizing additives. (Don't ask how I EXPERIENCED that this yr with 2 blow-outs in very inconvenient Idaho Mtn Locations on tires that appeared excellent; 75% tread and no cracks or weather checking)

Even baby Class C tires can be $150 + each (that suddenly = $1000 w/ 6 tires, and even much more this yr with Obama trade Sanctions... US tires (if there are any left... are much higher priced, due to less competition)) A tire I bought last week for a truck had $94 in excise tax alone!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 AM

11,892 posts, read 12,503,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Attn: MOD, a couple 'stickies' might help folks find stuff in this forum. (Tho I generally don't prefer subforums and stickies)
i.e.
RV-Tech
RV camping spots

Here are a few good sites for RV pre-purchase check lists;
http://www.rv.org/enc6969.pdf
Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist for Used Motorhome, RV, Campers and 5th Wheels (http://ezinearticles.com/?Pre-Purchase-Inspection-Checklist-for-Used-Motorhome,-RV,-Campers-and-5th-Wheels&id=585698 - broken link)
RV Checklists
RV Inspection Checklist

Expensive and important item to check on RV is tire DATE CODE. Tires are only good for 7 yrs, rubber degrades due to heat / outgassing of rubberizing additives. (Don't ask how I EXPERIENCED that this yr with 2 blow-outs in very inconvenient Idaho Mtn Locations on tires that appeared excellent; 75% tread and no cracks or weather checking)

Even baby Class C tires can be $150 + each (that suddenly = $1000 w/ 6 tires, and even much more this yr with Obama trade Sanctions... US tires (if there are any left... are much higher priced, due to less competition)) A tire I bought last week for a truck had $94 in excise tax alone!

Thanks for the links! I bookmarked them for future use myself.

For the price of this one I would look into it. You can never tell when you've found a gem , or a turd. Good luck and let us know. I'm hoping to find my gem.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,509,537 times
Most of us who own and/or live in our RVs purchase a road warranty. The most popular is sold by Good Sam but also a bit expensive. Whatever the case, keep in mind no road warranty will insure any rig over 10 years old. That leaves you with worry if anything goes wrong. Another issue is there is no financing available for an RV of that age. There is no financing available for any RV but that is another story.

There are many issues with buying an old RV, some of which can not be seen. Some can. I bought a 7YO with only 9800 miles on it. The tires still had the dits on them but they were so dry rotted from sitting. Belts and hoses were dry rotted despite being so young and so few miles. My generator's carburetor had all rotting gaskets due to stale gas sitting for years of non use. For less then $2000 I had a 6 year old (now 9) RV with less miles on it then most people put on their cars in just 6 months.

Think of it this way. Would you buy a 15YO car? Most would not. I would not knowing what I know about RV maintenance today.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,137,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Its from a dealership near me and on the description for all there units, it states it comes "as is" so you get what they bought. If it does need repairs the repairs added to the total might bring the baby up enough that it would be cheaper to buy a more expensive unit that is in better condition than buying a cheaper model that needs repairs.

Yup.I

If a "dealer" sells all their used stuff "as is" you might as well hunt around and see if you can find a better deal privately..........the perceived advantage in buying from a dealer is that a reputable business is standing behind the product.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I still plan to look at a few more listings before I make a choice. I will make sure to get it checked out before purchase. Either that or save up more and buy a new class C at $60K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing