U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM

532 posts, read 1,843,563 times

Advertisements

Looking for a canoe for camping with the family. Don't know much about configurations, but I'm sure some are designed for specific uses. Mostly, lakes, mutliple family members, portability, length, brands. What brands would you recommend? Don't think this would be carried on my back in the woods, rather driving to water source and dropping off. Where should I start my search?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 AM

37,069 posts, read 38,273,370 times
I prefer Old Town, they get my money because we easily outpaced a cheap Coleman canoe that was same length, load etc. There's other things to consider as well, smaller boats and canoes float when flipped but they usually have foam under the seats or elsewhere like in a Coleman canoe. With the Old Town the entire thing is floatble, you could chop it up into pieces and it will all still float. They are also very durable, your grandkids will own it if not their grandkids.

This one looks interesting if you're looking for something just for general recreation:

Rockport Canoe - Old Town Canoes and Kayaks

It's wider than standard canoe so it will be more stable, 3 seats etc.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 AM

532 posts, read 1,843,563 times
Do you think the rockport would be a good choice for Mom/Dad and three younger kids? Is it only available in the one length? Price looks right, but is it a good recreational choice.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM

818 posts, read 1,887,735 times
There's a good canoe buyer's guide and some reviews at paddling.net (click on the Gear Guide and Reviews links at the top of the page) and here's another buying guide:
Buying The Right Canoe -- OutdoorPlaces.Com

I also like Old Town Canoes. They make different styles, and different materials, depending on its intended purpose. A good lake canoe won't be the same as a good river canoe, so you'll want to read up on them and decide which serves your purposes best. The reviews have a lot of info from experienced paddlers. Also, look around Old Town's website, if you decide to look at one of their models.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM

6,076 posts, read 10,737,519 times
You may want to consider buying a (second hand canoe) before you drop a grand or so on a new one plus all the extras you'll need with. I.e oars, spare oar, personal floatation, registration (if required), vehicle rack to carry it, and any of the safety devices your state may require you to have on board.

Old Town, Rouge River and Coleman are all good sound canoes. Personally I have a Coleman 18' High Impact Plastic (older model) and for what my wife and I use it for, it does great. We have a small electric trolling motor and we're looking into a set of outriggers for so we can do a little fly-fishing from it as well.

Canoeing is a wonderful hobby to get into whether it be lake or river canoeing, so have fun, do your homework, be safe and most of all (don't drink while on the waters).

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM

37,069 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Do you think the rockport would be a good choice for Mom/Dad and three younger kids?
The reason I suggested that one is because it is more boat like, it's wider and more stable. It also has that extra seat. Not sure if there will enough room for them to all comfortably sit. You'll have to check the laws if you can, I'm not so sure I'd want to have 3 kids in canoe at once even if you can do it. Have you ever been a canoe before? It's not like a boat where you can just stand up... at least until you have been on the water for a few days and you can walk around like it's land.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 AM

6,076 posts, read 10,737,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Do you think the rockport would be a good choice for Mom/Dad and three younger kids? Is it only available in the one length? Price looks right, but is it a good recreational choice.
Depending on what type of water your planning on taking the family out on, you may consider a "Jon Boat". They are considerably more stable than a canoe, especially when little ones like to move around allot.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM

94 posts, read 332,908 times
2 adults and 3 kids in a canoe? That is going to be hard. For 2 adults, maybe one small child Old Town Camper Canoe is an awesome, stable, shallow running boat.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 AM

9,164 posts, read 16,510,896 times
Yeah, I'd think two canoes are in order with an adult in each, or maybe a row boat or large inflatable raft. I can't even imagine 5 people in one canoe, no matter what size they are.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
I have been canoeing for 65 years. I think the best all around canoe for a family is the Old Town Tripper. It has higher sides, paddles easily, carries more weight and is stable. I have been down the Allagash and St. John with them and they are also good for an evening paddle on a pond. I was a registered Maine guide and have seen a lot of canoes. I built canoes. My Trippers are 17 footers. Old Town makes a 20 foot Tripper for large loads or expeditions.

The recommendation above about buying a used one is good. A few scratches won't hurt the utility of a canoe at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing