U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM

131 posts, read 140,424 times

Advertisements

We are looking to rent an RV for Travel from NJ to Fort Myers. We do not need the RV for anything more than travel. Once in Fort Myers we are staying at a resort. Unfortunately, every company we have looked into is soo expensive for mileage, (if its even offered, so dont offer any!!)
We figured it would be easier to travel with four children in an RV instead of a car.

Any suggestions as to companies that offer any deals with mileage that isnt that expensive?? We figured about $2,000 to rent for 11 days, which looks like some places offer RV's for around there, but once you add in the mileage etc its approx $1500 more!!

Any idea's?

I see they have a large van that even has a toilet?? Are they large enough for six?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:09 PM

34,457 posts, read 41,569,541 times
Renting an Rv for that short of a trip is definitely expensive,I'd just do the drive in your regular family hauler in two parts staying at a motel/hotel about half way, should be about two 12 hour days behind the wheel or three 8 hour days,it will probably save you the best part of $1000

In case you missed the other thread on the subject =
R.V. rentals

Old 05-20-2010, 06:40 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,047,652 times
I would say dont do it......I can only guess you are looking at a class C to rent with that many people.

One, rental places charge allot because most people dont have a clue what they are doing when driving an RV and things get broken.

Two, dont forget about the gas.....even a gas class C is not going to get much better then 10-12 miles to a gallon if that.

Three, just like any hotel you stay at an rental RV has the same issues, who was the last person to sleep on the bed and use the bathroom etc and though it might look clean...is it really?

Four, once to get where you are going where are you going to park it? (its not going to fit in a normal parking spot) Will the resort have a place to park a large RV? Also are you going to have to use it as your only means of transporation when you want to go off the resort?

A rental RV is nice if someone is looking to buy their own RV and they just want to take it a few miles down the road to the local campground to see if that is the type that they really want and learn how everything works etc....but to rent one for what you want to do would be a waste of money IMO

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked out the other thread. Lots to consider.

I just got a quote from one place for like $2500 for a 29ft Class C with unlimited mileage!!! Didnt think Id find one with unlimited mileage, but I did. I dont think thats too bad.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Your right rtandc, My husband just brought that up too. Where are we going to park it when when get there? Also, I considered maybe sleeping a couple of hours at a rest stop instead of getting a hotel room, to save money (another reason for the camper) but, I hear thats not too safe either??

And yes, we were then considering having to rent ANOTHER vehicle when getting to florida to get around in. That is also ANOTHER added expense.

I dont know..........I was just thinking, driving in a car with four kids for 25-30 hours!!! OMG!!! I might be grey before I get there. lol Also, stopping constantly for pee breaks. A vehicle for them to go to the bathroom whenever, lay down and sleep whenever. Actually sit at a table and play games. etc.

So much to think about. I dont know what to do......

Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 AM

104 posts, read 342,456 times
You might be able to rent an RV one way. Check out this website for deals Cruise America: Welcome KOA Visitors

Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 AM

34,457 posts, read 41,569,541 times
That $2500 is probably just a base price as addons usually add to that amount,various taxes and insurances whether you want bedding,dishes and utensils and usually a charge for the return if you arent returning the unit to point of departure,theres usually an expensive hourly fee if you use the generator which you'll need if you want to air condition the entire unit., Child seats?. are there actually 6 seatbelts? most Rv's i've seen only have 4 Etc.Etc.Etc.
What do you use for everyday commuting with the four kids and why wouldnt it be viable to make the trip..
I travel from Montreal To Florida once a year with my two teenage daughters and with frequent stops and all their electronic googaa's they arent much trouble,we usually divide the trip into 3 segments and end up in motels 2 of those nights arriving on the 3rd day..With two drivers its possible to do the whole trip in one shot..

Last edited by jambo101; 05-20-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM

I will look into the extras they might tack on, thanks.
They specify six seatbelts, in which I would have to bring one car seat along.

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition, Nice and Big to fit everyone. Although it runs fine, I am worried it might have problems driving that far. (although I drive to pa, 2 hours, almost once a month to my moms vaca house) My husband has a 2008 Ford Sport Track (too small for all of us to travel on a long trip)

I keep hearing the "DONT DO IT" with the RV. So right now that is in the back of my head.
Maybe I will just look into renting a minivan or something. Might be a more viable option.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,710,438 times
I travel cross country with kids - I used to bring a tent and camp in state parks or KOA's along the way. That saved a lot of money and I didn't have to worry about sleeping in beds used by others. Then I graduated to a pop up camper which is easy to pull, cheap on gas.

I think the busy rest stops and truck stops are safe enough if you want to pull over and sleep. Safety in numbers - I wouldn't want to be in some secluded place however. You're safest on the truck side - but it's a bit loud.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,357,063 times
We have a travel trailer and use it up and down the coast and cross country. It is nice and handy. We have also started renting ours in effort to follow Dave Ramsey getting radical to make money and pay off debt. As a result, we undercut the big businesses who rent and develop relationships in an effort to keep our prices low and to hopeful curb our clientel from destroying the camper.
$2500 seems right as crazy as it seems. Have to look at the convenience factor! It sure is nice for the kids to have that much space as you go down the road!!! At times I wish we have a Class A or C for that convenience. But we do fine with ours at renting ours at $100/night summer and $50/night other times.

And if you really want to save money- camp at the truck stop and Walmart parking lot. FREE!

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing