U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,010,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
WooHoo! I'm finally headed out in the morning for about 5 days of camping. We're not going far, but it's probably our favorite spot -- Bighorn Mountains (north central Wyoming) at Middle Fork Campground. My SIL and a few other family members come out from Oregon every summer for a few days up there with us. Weather is supposed to be nice and I've got my fly gear packed.

It's a small USFS campground -- only 10 sites and each has a nice stretch of trout stream in its backyard -- not big fish but fun to catch. And there's a beautiful mountain lake about a mile from it. I sure wish I had a canoe!
I hope your Fly-Fishing those waters and not using the bait and bobber method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 PM

9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I hope your Fly-Fishing those waters and not using the bait and bobber method.
Quote:
... I've got my fly gear packed....
Yeah, but my wife's great nephew will be using spinning gear. He's 12 and has a tough enough time with that! But he has fun with it and gets excited with brookies. He's still bragging about the "whopper" he caught last year. It was about 10 inches then but has grown to 15 inches in his mind.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,010,855 times
Quote:
Yeah, but my wife's great nephew will be using spinning gear. He's 12 and has a tough enough time with that! But he has fun with it and gets excited with brookies. He's still bragging about the "whopper" he caught last year. It was about 10 inches then but has grown to 15 inches in his mind.
Well now, that's a young lads prerogative to use what he can and to have the bragging rights that go with it.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
I finally got out to do some camping in Colorado and Wyoming in the last couple of weeks. We found a place to camp in Colorado where we were in a dispersed camping area, only to find out later that there was a USFS campground only a couple miles further up the road. In Wyoming we camped in the "city" park in Wheatland, where we've camped before. My kids enjoy camping there because they can play in the park just by taking a short walk from the campsite. We met some folks from Torrington, WY that were also camped there, and spent a bit of our time visiting with them while we were there. It was a nice, quiet trip, with lots of beautiful scenery along the way.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM

11,435 posts, read 17,141,328 times
i've only been a few times now and I'm just working all the time with very few days off to go, it sucks, I'm looking for a small camp trailer so i can have it packed and ready incase I get a chance to be off for a few days.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
i've only been a few times now and I'm just working all the time with very few days off to go, it sucks, I'm looking for a small camp trailer so i can have it packed and ready incase I get a chance to be off for a few days.
While I was coming home from my Wyoming/Colorado trip, I stopped in Sportsman's Warehouse in Grand Junction, where I saw a "Jumping Jack" trailer. If I were to buy a new trailer, I think it would be one of theirs. Basically, it's a utility trailer, but it's also a tent trailer. What I like about it is the simplicity. When it's set up, it's just a tent with a bed on each side of the main floor area. It also has a table inside, but that's about it. It doesn't have a bathroom, stove, refrigerator, or any of the other stuff that's common in new tent trailers. You use your existing camp equipment for those purposes. What you do have is a tent that can be set up quickly (and is off the ground), and you have a trailer that you can carry all your gear in or on top of. I may end up buying one of them as my camping trailer.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM

11,435 posts, read 17,141,328 times
I was looking at one of those here and then Sportsmans wherehouse closed they looked real good to me.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I was looking at one of those here and then Sportsmans wherehouse closed they looked real good to me.
The Sportsman's Warehouse that closed was in Visalia, wasn't it? I never made it there, but there is one up in Rocklin (about 20 miles northeast of Sacramento), not to mention numerous other locations in the western U.S.

Edit: I did some checking online, and there was a store in Visalia that closed down, as well as another in Victorville that closed down. The Victorville store was only open a little over three months when they shut the doors. The only remaining store in California that I'm aware of is the one in Rocklin. Oh well, St. George, Utah isn't much further from me, and I probably get there almost as often as I do Sacramento.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 09-02-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing