Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM

279 posts, read 589,884 times

Advertisements

We're camping next week. Renting an RV- our first time operating on one our own. There aren't water hookups at the campground, but there will be "potable water" nearby so says their website. The RV tanks hold 50 gal fresh water, 44 grey and 29 black. Black is the waste water from the bathroom right? What is fresh used for and what is grey used for? I've been told not to use the water from the RV for cooking or washing dishes, to bring other water for that. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
We're camping next week. Renting an RV- our first time operating on one our own. There aren't water hookups at the campground, but there will be "potable water" nearby so says their website. The RV tanks hold 50 gal fresh water, 44 grey and 29 black. Black is the waste water from the bathroom right? What is fresh used for and what is grey used for? I've been told not to use the water from the RV for cooking or washing dishes, to bring other water for that. Is that true?
We have an RV and usually stay in a campground with hookups. The "potable" water is safe drinking water, which you can use to cook and drink. Not sure why you wouldn't use the fresh water in the RV, but suggest you flush the tank before you leave and fill it up so you can use it for showers, dishes, etc. Grey water is water AFTER you wash dishes, shower. Black is waste water from bathroom. Not sure who told you not to use the water from the RV but that isn't true.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We have an RV and usually stay in a campground with hookups. The "potable" water is safe drinking water, which you can use to cook and drink. Not sure why you wouldn't use the fresh water in the RV, but suggest you flush the tank before you leave and fill it up so you can use it for showers, dishes, etc. Grey water is water AFTER you wash dishes, shower. Black is waste water from bathroom. Not sure who told you not to use the water from the RV but that isn't true.
Maybe there is something wrong with the water there? We've been to some parks where the water is just nasty!! We always carry jugs of drinking water with us.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Since you are renting an RV I personally would flush the fresh water tank a few times just to make sure it is clean, I would also check the hose at the pump outlet along with the pump and make sure they are clean.....

If you have any concerns just buy a few gallons of bottled water to drink and cook with.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
I've been told not to use the water from the RV for cooking or washing dishes, to bring other water for that. Is that true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Not sure who told you not to use the water from the RV but that isn't true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Maybe there is something wrong with the water there?
The OP was probably told this because it's a rental. You never know what the previous renters did to the lines or tanks.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
We bought our TT used and chlorinated the entire fresh water system. I think I would bring drinking water, too, if using a rental. But, I don't see why you couldn't use it for washing dishes etc, if you flush it out a couple of times.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
For what you're paying for a rental RV, it would be reasonable to expect that the rental company will provide a rental vehicle that has empty black and grey water tanks at the beginning of your rental.

As well, they should flush the fresh water tank and potable water system, and use some bleach as part of the cleaning/disinfecting process. This is standard practice for all RV'ers to maintain the cleanliness of the fresh water system. Especially important when the water sources that were used to fill it up on the last rental are unknown to the rental outfit.

If there's any doubt about the cleanliness of the water system, then you would do well to flush it yourself before taking the rig anywhere.

What you don't want to have to do is carry a full tank of fresh potable water all the way from your rental site to your camping destination. Better to leave that weight behind for most of the trip and then fill up with potable water as close to your destination as possible.

With a clean potable water system, there's no reason why you'd not use that supply the same way you use fresh water at home ... for cooking, drinking, bathing, cleaning up. If there's concerns about hard water or palatability, then an separate supply of known good water for drinking/cooking is handy. I use a couple of collapsable 5 gallon jugs for that purpose in my RV travels.

You should expect a rental RV from a reputable outfit with these systems on board to be as clean and useable as you'd expect from a hotel or motel in your travels. If it doesn't present that clean of an image, you'd be better off not renting the unit. Be sure that they supply you with the proper water treatment chemicals for the black water tank, a proper drain hose for the dump stations, and a sanitary water supply hose (usually a white hose to identify it as the one for filling the potable water tank), full propane tank, full fuel, and everything working correctly in the RV. Even if you are an experienced RV'er, be sure that they give you a full orientation and check-out with their rig before you leave with it so that you know how to use it and that it's verified that it's working before you leave.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM

83 posts, read 375,050 times
I would not drink the water from a RENTAL unit tank. After sanitizing it and filling it from a known safe potable water source it would be OK to use it. Personally I would bring bottled water for drinking and cooking with a rental. This is what I do once a year.

Sanitizing the fresh water tank:

1. Empty the tank and water heater.
2. Use ½ cup of bleach Clorox or Purex household bleach (5% sodium hypo chlorite) for each thirty-gallon tank capacity.
3. If you can add water to your tank without a hose attachment or you are able to suck up the solution trough your winterizing kit then make a solution first. (1/2-cup bleach with 1 gallon of water for each 30-gallon tank) BUT if you are not able to add this to your thank than use the following method.
3a. Pour 1½ cup of bleach into outstretched water hose. (for a 90-100 gallon tank) Attach hose to tanks fill outlet turn on water supply faucet. (Turn on FILL switch on coach)
4. Complete filling of tank with fresh water. One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply pressure.)
5. Allow to stand for three hours overnight is better
6. Completely drain the system by opening all the faucets and opening all plumbing drains and the hot water tank drain, drain until the tank is empty.
7. Fill water tank with fresh water.
8. Flush each faucet for several minutes each repeating until the tank is again empty. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
9. Fill tank again with fresh water and you should be clean and ready to go.
8. If you still have excess chlorine taste or odor which might remain, you can repeat the fresh water flush or prepare a solution of one quart vinegar to five gallons of water (or pour one quart of vinegar into a water hose) and allow this solution to agitate in tank for several days by vehicle motion.-- Drain and flush with potable water. (Important).

The above recommendations conform to Section 10.8 in the A119.2 code covering electrical, plumbing and heating of a recreational vehicle.

For SAFE as well as good tasting drinking water, filter water going into the tank with a fine (5 micron) filter available at most building supply houses such as Home Depot or Camping World. DO NOT use a filter with charcoal or carbon going in. They remove any chlorine and make storing water in the tank very dangerous. Use the under sink charcoal filter for drinking water.

For keeping water safe in the tank I add 2 tablespoon of Clorox to the tank as it fills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing