U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM

713 posts, read 3,135,574 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the information. Well I'm already going to college. Going to save some of the college loan $$ to buy a cheap Honda Rebel as my beginner bike

Seems BMW motorcycles are good for this kind of think since the guy has an old one as well and has been published on BMW's motorcycle magazine or something. In an old post from 07 he was even invited to speak at a BMW motorcycle meet

Wish I could retire at 19 but I have no $$$ to even pay for insurance on a bike and not even enough for a tank of gas either. Would need to save up while I work and retire young. Lot of free places to stay on the road. If in the desert just drive off road for an hour and set up camp, no one would know you are even there for weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,612 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Thanks for the information. Well I'm already going to college. Going to save some of the college loan $$ to buy a cheap ...

Wish I could retire at 19 but I have no $$$ to even pay for insurance on a bike and not even enough for a tank of gas either. ... Lot of free places to stay on the road. ...
Good for you, Maybe you can find a night-shift job that will pay well AND pay for school. That is what I did, and company ended up paying for 3 of my degrees. Night shift paid 15% extra + NO BOSSES We (5) were all students and got a lot done while having a blast at work.

Insurance is very cheap for MC, and many states don't require it on MC. (and you have no assets, so liability risk is low, tho I much recommend buying it) You can get MC insurance cheaper through the ads in MC magazines.

Look at some old clips of 'then-came-bronson' circa 1970. Work for fuel while traveling. (We used to be able to fill our MC tanks by draining the hoses on gas pumps , and to think gas was only $0.19 / gal )

No need to drive 1hr off the road, many times I just pulled off in the driveway of a farm field. Even in Yellowstone and Tetons, I would scope out a nice spot, wait till dark and go back to 'free-camp'. One of the best times got woke up in night be 'rustling noise' and brushing against tent to look out and see thousands of elk. (whole meadow was full! I got up and stood by tent in awe as it was a beautiful moonlit night.) I would leave at first light and go to a stream to wash, then see lots of sights before traffic started, then in afternoon go find a nice tree to nap under.

For fulltime RV at age 19, you will have a blast I just 'retired' my tent and sleeping bag acquired at age 17 last yr. (buy something you like, you may be stuck with it for 35 yrs...)
See if you can find an 'ole-timers' MC club locally. We have one that meets 2x / month and you can learn lots and maybe find a good deal on a dependable relic cruiser. I'm afraid you have the bug... good thing there is not an 'inoculation'. Only cure is to 'live-your-dream'. I hate to break the news, but I had a lot more discretionary $$ at age 19 than I do now. I made $2.65 / hr at one job. $1.75 at my second job, and $80 for my Saturday night job (800 mile newspaper rte through 4 SNOWY states). My house payments were $128.84. & I thought I was broke

Be sure you are not classified under parents policy AND talk to agent + attorney BEFORE you buy / insure anything that might be a liability for them. (You definately don't want to put them at risk.) I didn't sleep well till my kids were age 26, as my agent said my assets were attachable in a liability claim against my kids, even tho they had not lived at home, nor had any support since age 18). A very raw deal for all, as they also got no subsidized school loans because I had a job and assets. Also don't mention or buy a motorcycle while you live at home. I had to leave home to buy a 'road-bike', tho I had dirt bikes all my life due to living on a farm and using them for chores. You definately don't want your folks laying awake nights worrying. When you are gone, they won't be listening for you to come home, wondering if they are gonna get 'the-call'... (I've had to notify parents of deceased children, it is very hard)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-09-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
You are wiser than my thoughts Rabbit!

Of all the things I know now, I wish I could have known just 10% of then when I was younger.

Maybe I did. In 1982 I rode cross crountry on my Schwinn modified 18 speed with all my worldly belongings strapped to the Blackburn racks.

When I stopped pedaling 8 months and 10,000 miles later I convinced myself the wanderlust was dead.

Now, 30 years later I realize that it never really dies, we just mange to subdue it for a little while.

During those 30 years I managed to collect so much "stuff," a house and several different careers--until one day all that stuff was just clutter and the economy taught me just how valuable it wasn't.

So yes rgomez912, use you time wisely and hold fast to all that is valuable and irreplaceable and always remember you do have the chance to make changes.

Wow, guess I got a little carried away in reflection...

Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,612 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
...guess I got a little carried away in reflection...... In 1982 I rode cross country on my Schwinn modified 18 speed with all my worldly belongings strapped to the Blackburn racks...
reflection...
Ha, reflection is great... for mounted on my Blackburn racks were my Frostline Panniers (Circa 1977-1982) Motobecane bike for me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motob%C3%A9cane (went bankrupt in 1981...)

I am SO grateful to still have a Camp 7 down coat (and of course a down Frostline coat and vest )
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Frostline1.html
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Alp-Sport1.html
"The Current Status of the man and his three pioneer companies

Camp 7 was Mr. Lamb's last outdoor gear company. It was begun about 1971. ... A modern gear company having the name "Camp 7" has no connection with the original Camp 7....

rgomez912 is in for a good time thinking the way he's headed. Good advice
Quote:
use you time wisely and hold fast to all that is valuable and irreplaceable and always remember you do have the chance to make changes.
Full-timing on a MC is not very often talked about here, and we appreciate 'all-comers'. I will keep you all posted on my quest for 'full-timing' with my Diesel Passat Wagon and Snowbear Utility trailer turned 'teardrop' (with my TL-250 or XS-2 650 mounted on the trailer tongue). I think I can still average over 42 MPG with that set-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing