U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM

212 posts, read 615,035 times

Advertisements

We just bought a 1991 Starcraft Starflyer. Our first popup, and I'm excited. So ready to move up from tent camping.
I want to know what websites or places that you guys find your supplies, parts and pieces on.
I've done some looking online but I'm sure there's a ton more out there.

A couple specifics I need is new foam for the beds. I've found a couple sites but that stuff is expensive. Any ideas?

We also are going to buy an entire new canvas for it. The cheapest I've found is about $800. Any ideas on this one?

Also, when we were taking down the old curtains they had in it and the canvas it was attached to a plastic thing that's attached to the roof. The curtains had little tabs that slid into a channel. What is this thing called? Does it just hold the canvas or do you have to buy a different kind to have the slot for curtains? Where do we find these stuff at?

Any help would be appreicated! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,422,518 times
Foam? Try your local WalMart or similar type store.

Three or four inches of foam on a plywood base isn't everyone's cup of tea. If you find it a little too firm, hit the backpacking section at your local sporting goods store and pick up a couple of closed-cell foam backpacker's sleeping mats to put under your open-cell foam.

I recall seeing one innovative couple who replaced their foam mattress with a mattress intended for a sofa bed.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

11,435 posts, read 17,144,928 times
You might just measure the bed and go to a matteress factory outlet

Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,574,086 times
Near where I live we've got a shop with all types of fabrics, including foam for couch cushions and the like, maybe a place like that would have big pieces...

Good question on the curtains, I just bought a used pop up myself and would like to replace the curtains too....

Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM

212 posts, read 615,035 times
I actually got a catalog from a local rv place here in town. It's got everything I think I would need. Including the clip things for the curtains and curtains. But I may just make my own. Curtains are easy.

I think we are going to attempt to clean the foam.
And we bought a new canvas straight from Starcraft.

Now my hubby just needs to fix a few things and we'll be ready to camp! Yay!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM

137 posts, read 553,480 times
Default Power Adapters

I think you will want to look for this type of adapter. 30 Amp RV adapters

Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM

15,926 posts, read 7,178,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhgirl View Post
I actually got a catalog from a local rv place here in town. It's got everything I think I would need. Including the clip things for the curtains and curtains. But I may just make my own. Curtains are easy.

I think we are going to attempt to clean the foam.
And we bought a new canvas straight from Starcraft.

Now my hubby just needs to fix a few things and we'll be ready to camp! Yay!!!
Personally, I would probably get new foam if the original is 19 or so years old, but that's just me.

We bought a used pop-up about nine years ago. We've taken it through the Blue Ridge Mtns. and all the way up to the Boundry Waters in Min. You can camp & be oh so comfy in so many places.

DH up-graded our P'up last year to yet another used, but bigger & cushier one!!!

Can't wait to hear about all your fun camping stories!!!

Happy Camping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing