Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM

156 posts, read 391,216 times

Advertisements

I also follow the winter olympic hockey closely. Any other event I'm not too worried about.

DISCLAIMER: I have quite a few friends my age (20) who do not follow nor care about hockey. Not all Canadians are crazy about hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
lol, I almost feel stupid for even asking now, I guess I was suckered into the coverage this year about "what a big deal it was for Canada to bring home the gold in hockey," as NBC must have said 1000 times over the course of that game and afterwords. And yes, Mikey the Stanley Cup is EASILY the best trophy in sports.
No no no . . . as CornerGuy said - the Olympic golds were a HUGE deal and most Canadians (even me over in England at 1 in the morning as well as all my ex-pat friends and my 79 year old mother!!) were glued to the TV!

Part of the fun with the Stanley Cup as well is that we all have our favourite team, but most of us have a second and third favourite as well! I am a Habs fan, but have always liked the Blackhawks and the Leafs as well, so when one gets eliminated, the interest we have in the cup doesn't wane - and along with watching your fav team play, we also like to see our "favourite rival" team lose!

And Canadians don't necessarily feel they have to pick a "Canadian team" as favourite either - there are lots of Canadian guys playing in the NHL, so regardless which team you like, it still feels as Canadian as anything else (Czech please! ). My brother is a die-hard Chicago fan, my friend's son is big into the Penguins, etc., - and a lot of it starts in the playground when we are knee-high to grasshoppers with the trading cards (are those still around?). And especially for those with no "home-town team", anything goes!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I am a Habs fan, but have always liked the Blackhawks and the Leafs as well, so when one gets eliminated, the interest we have in the cup doesn't wane - and along with watching your fav team play, we also like to see our "favourite rival" team lose!
Ugh! Your a Habs fan and you like the Leafs???? That is like a Yankee Fan cheering for the Red Sox or a Man U fan supporting Liverpool.

Two things are consistent, as a Habs fan you have to #1 Love the Habs (Obviously) and #2 Despise the Bruins and Leafs, no exceptions.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM

87 posts, read 392,140 times
Yea, the stanley cup is WAY sweeter. You grow up dreaming bout the Cup and your team winning it. The Gold Metal is a once every 4 years kinda deal but the Stanley Cup is something you are aiming for every saturday night watching the game.

Now that Chicago won, the Leafs, my team have the longest losing streak. LOL My dad moved to Canada in '68 when he was 4. So my family has basically been waiting for the Leafs to win for 42 years lol.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ee View Post
Yea, the stanley cup is WAY sweeter. You grow up dreaming bout the Cup and your team winning it. The Gold Metal is a once every 4 years kinda deal but the Stanley Cup is something you are aiming for every saturday night watching the game.

Now that Chicago won, the Leafs, my team have the longest losing streak. LOL My dad moved to Canada in '68 when he was 4. So my family has basically been waiting for the Leafs to win for 42 years lol.

LOL - well . . . I never thought the Berlin wall would fall - so there IS a chance right?! Haven't the Leafs won more (in history) than any other team (or pretty close to it)? Or are my stats old?

Update: Just my brain is old: Leafs are second after the Habs
http://proicehockey.about.com/od/sta...-wins-team.htm

Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
lol, I almost feel stupid for even asking now, I guess I was suckered into the coverage this year about "what a big deal it was for Canada to bring home the gold in hockey," as NBC must have said 1000 times over the course of that game and afterwords. And yes, Mikey the Stanley Cup is EASILY the best trophy in sports.
There seems to be a general consensus among hardcore hockey fans that short-run tournaments like the Olympics have a significant deal of luck in them, or at least significant unpredictability, because one game can decide everything (at various stages of the competition), and therefore the best team (or even the best performance) doesn't always win. Since Canadians uniformly believe they're the best hockey nation in the world, we don't like unpredictability -- we'd rather have the ultimate winner decided as the result of an 82-game season and 4 best-of-7 series (as opposed to a 7-game tournament).

Those short tournaments (Olympics, World Juniors) still gather an amazing amount of interest, not entirely unlike March Madness, but the NBC story line has to be put in context -- we could really care less about cross-country skiing and figure skating if we don't win gold in hockey.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Ugh! Your a Habs fan and you like the Leafs???? That is like a Yankee Fan cheering for the Red Sox or a Man U fan supporting Liverpool.

Two things are consistent, as a Habs fan you have to #1 Love the Habs (Obviously) and #2 Despise the Bruins and Leafs, no exceptions.
Sunshinelieth is probably a hockey fan as well as a habs fan thus the reason for liking other hockey teams,i am a Habs fan and if they arent playing i'm not watching
As for Olympic hockey its kinda like watching a playoff of All-Star teams,nice we won but not that interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada