Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:30 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,805,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil View Post
As a Canadian I have two questions. Sorry if they seem naive but I have to ask.

1. Do you worry about guns or people having guns so freely?
No, I'd worry more if only the criminals had guns. Studies have been done, and it's widely known - if and when a store or city (ie: Washington DC) advertises itself as a 'gun free zone', there is more crime.

Think about it. Innocent people will follow the law. Criminals look on us as victims to be exploited and robbed.
I have an NRA sticker on my front window. I can leave my front door open and unlocked at nite. A criminal knows that if he steps foot in my home, he's going to wind up on a hospital or coroner gurney.

Most gun owners and people licensed to carry (such as myself) are responsible, have taken gun safety courses.

America isn't the Wild West. People who legally carry or own guns aren't out on the streets shooting away at passersby. We carry and own because it is our Constitutional Right, to defend ourselves, others and our Country, and to hunt.

I was engaged to a Canadian who used to mildly poke fun at American's Right to 'Bare' arms (as he jokingly put it), but he respected it.

IMHO, children in junior high should be taught in a gun safety course at school, even if their parents or themselves don't own a gun.

You should fear the person, not the thing they're holding in their hands. Don't fault the guns - Fault the schools, the parents, and irresponsible legislators, and the person doing the crime.

Check out NRA.com, SecondAmendmentSisters.com and other websites to intelligently learn about guns, safety, and the Second Amendment.

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Default USAs love affair with guns.

In fact the ownership of arms is an amendment to the US Constitution. And it certainly meant hand guns and every other form of armament up to and including artillery. It was the intent of the founders that the citizenry be sufficently armed as to overthrow the central or local government if needed.

Simple as that. We do an amazing dance to avoid dealing with this amendment. Neither the liberals nor the NAR actual want the kook down the block to have a couple of RPG in his armament. So we walk through all sorts of charades to avoid dealing with the issue.

The last US supreme court decision in the 1930s on the question was decided absurdly...the appealant did not even appear and the decision flies right into the actual fact situation. Since that decision the US supreme court has refused to hear any such cases. A recent decision involving gun control in the District of Columbia may force their hand. Then again they have been ducking this one a long time.

I personally would prefer a continent wide ban on the things including peace officers. Short of that though I support permissive concealed carry as is practiced in Nevada.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 AM

434 posts, read 1,737,550 times
1) No, thank goodness we can still have guns because if we outlaw them the guy breaking into my house will still have his but I'll be swatting him with...a spatula? Guns are referred to as "the Great Equalizers" for good reason and as a woman who spends a lot of time traveling and alone in a house (when my hubby is traveling) I keep one in every room.

2) Opinions about drugs vary as much here as opinions about guns. I never understood how they decide which will be legal and which won't? I don't use so I guess I don't really care.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
America is so use to the "fight cuz I'm right" crap we may never get rid of guns! It is "emberising" for some of us but that is "Amereka"!(my best Bush impression)lol We have a war on everything here, including drugs of course, Americans have a hard time changing things that don't work. ie. slavery, woman voting. If you can believe it there are still people here with boots and holsters with guns in them walking around Arizona. Perfectly legal! Saying don't mess with me or I'll shoot ya! So ignorant. But so America. For God sake that is how the west was won. People to this day, when they think of the history of America, think of Pilgrims not Indians. It's like those Indians were not people just animals we removed with guns so we could live on this great vacant land.
I have been told time and time again if I don't like it I can go! So, I am.
America will change the gun laws and the health care system one day but it will be slow (my kids will be dead), it will be their new idea,(not Canada's or Europe's) and there will be a huge Fight first because after all this is "Amereka"!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
1. Do you worry about guns or people having guns so freely? I do worry about people having guns. I've never fired a gun but in the past year there have been a couple incidents of people being shot at on my street (nobody died) and I used to live in a bad neighborhood where I would hear gunshots at night, I also remember staying with a friend who lived in Brooklyn for a bit, and hearing gun shots at night there too (yes, I know the difference between how firecrackers and gunshots sound). I also used to know some kids who had their front windows shot out (while they were in their front room mind you) and someone once pulled a gun on my brother for no reason. I don't like that it is so easy for common thugs to get guns and shoot them off at each other, it just doesn't seem right. So while I know there are a lot of people who are very adamant about 'gun rights', every single experience I have had in which a gun was involved as been overwhelmingly negative, and as such, I would like to see them off the street. Additionally, I do not share the opinion that an armed society is a polite society (meaning if you think they might have a gun then you would be less inclined to commit a crime against that person), it seems like there are a lot of people who are armed in the rougher neighborhoods around where I live, and it certainly doesn't look all that polite to me, the armed residents all seem to be robbing and shooting either other (and others) at an alarming pace, that they are armed makes little difference, it just results in more dead people. It seems like a lot of the people who are strong 'gun rights' advocates have never had to live day to day seeing their affects in the more poverty affected areas of the US urban centers. Of the many, many people I know who grew up in Chicago's rougher neighborhoods (and I do know many), I have yet to find a single fan of the NRA or a strong gun rights advocate.

2. I really know very little about our drug laws, but it seems like most people who get arrested for pot don't really serve time, unless they happen to have a lot of it for the purposes of selling.

Last edited by j33; 06-30-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-30-2007, 09:58 PM

17 posts, read 41,290 times
Default thanks for responces

Before i asked i figured it would go about 70% in favor of guns. I think handguns are bad as I said before, but as everyone has said its your constitutional right to own one. The way I see it, it was a mistake to have handgun access so easy and now every criminal and there dog has one. This now means people whom enjoyed their constitutional right to own a gun, now may need one because a few bad people own them. I'm completely against handguns but I'd carry one if I moved there and was in a state where concealed handguns are legal.

I guess there's little that can be done about the problem now, maybe work on education and lessening poverty then there will be less need for people to become criminals. Gun control might help if done proper (don't ask me how), but probably not with all those illegal handguns. One final note I'm not against long guns, they have good uses like hunting and protection, only handguns which seem to create more trouble than there worth and simply kill people.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 AM

355 posts, read 1,584,161 times
#1. Worry, no....concerned, yes.

#2. Drug busts make for good television. Marajuana for personal use should be decriminalized. I believe it is how the police officer feels that day whether or not to arrest someone caught with drugs. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada