Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,136,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Canadians typically wouldn't count days and personal days in with their vacation days. With that sort of calculation, typical Canadian offering is 10 days paid vacation (minimum), 8 days government regulated paid stats (plus 3-4 other paid stats (not mandated but all companies I have ever worked for gave them) 5 sick days, 3 "family responsibility" days and 2-5 days paid leave for bereavement leave depending on who died. Some companies also give one paid day off a month for volunteer work.
Everything you listed is available in the US.

Sunshineleith, If you read the links I provided (especially the first one), you'll see that there is little, if any, difference. Really. When me and my spouse got our Canadian immigration cleared and learned what Canada offered in terms of vacation and holidays, we were very disappointed. Basically, the same shi* we got in the US. Considering the fact that we never worked in Canada before, we'd be even worse off in Canada, as we'd probably get only 10 days vacation once we start our first jobs in Canada.

Just don't want any Americans who are interested in moving to Canada to expect too much. Canada is a great country, but very similar to the US in this regard. Americans who moved to Canada, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The systems in both countries equally suck compared to what Europeans have.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-11-2010 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,252,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Everything you listed is available in the US.
Agreed - available. But not necessarily received - which is born out by the numbers: in the absence of government regulation requiring it, in 2007, close to 1 in 4 Americans working had no paid vacation and no paid statutory holidays. That was in 2007 before the big crunch and when unemployment was low. Nowawadays with the unemployment so high and people happy to take what they can get to survive, employers have carte blanche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
The systems in both countries equally suck compared to what Europeans have.
Absolutely.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,933,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Canadians typically wouldn't count days and personal days in with their vacation days. With that sort of calculation, typical Canadian offering is 10 days paid vacation (minimum), 8 days government regulated paid stats (plus 3-4 other paid stats (not mandated but all companies I have ever worked for gave them) 5 sick days, 3 "family responsibility" days and 2-5 days paid leave for bereavement leave depending on who died. Some companies also give one paid day off a month for volunteer work.

Also Blehtaz, many companies allow you to "bank" your paid stats - you chose to work the stats and get paid time and a half and take the day off later (paid) like a vacation day. Gives you a lot of flexibility and many people do that and combining it with actual vacation days, allows you to stretch vacation time into weeks longer than a mere two weeks off at once. Same thing with sick days, although it is less common.
It's the same here in the U.S. We can bank our accumulated days/hours/time off as well. We can also sell that time back to the company if we want. The only difference in the U.S. and Canada is that Canada mandates it; here it's not a federal mandate, but show me a company that gives no paid time off/sick days/holidays and I'll show you a company that has a revolving door; nobody will work very long at such a sweatbox.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 PM

320 posts, read 935,302 times
I think you'd really have to compare WHITE COLLAR jobs in the US to Canada's policies to get an accurate representation, unless Canada really does give this benefit to EVERYONE by law. I don't think you could consider all of the people working part time jobs (which for most any retail or service job is usually the case since they'll schedule 'em for 35-39 hours a week just so they aren't "full time") or contract work to be included in that figure of the US population that get's vacation.

I am surprised by the maternity leave length in Canada though. In fact, I may very well end up with a job there because the company I'm talking to has their sole Product Designer out on maternity leave for the next 11 months! I hope I'm not flat out replacing her if I get the job because I'll feel like a total bastard for it!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,252,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
I think you'd really have to compare WHITE COLLAR jobs in the US to Canada's policies to get an accurate representation, unless Canada really does give this benefit to EVERYONE by law. ...
Which benefit are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
...I am surprised by the maternity leave length in Canada though. In fact, I may very well end up with a job there because the company I'm talking to has their sole Product Designer out on maternity leave for the next 11 months! I hope I'm not flat out replacing her if I get the job because I'll feel like a total bastard for it!
No worries, you wouldn't be flat out replacing her. They have to give her either the same or equivalent (or better) position upon return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada