U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 11,407 times

Advertisements

This may seem obsessive to some but I'll ask anyway. My husband is in the Canadian Military and we are currently posted to Winnipeg. We have little say in where we move to next, but we can strategize and narrow our chances down enough to increase our chances of landing in a place we prefer.

Anyway, this is our situation: We love larger cities, we live most car-free, we cycle or walk almost everywhere. We have always had at least one roomate (generally students or international visitors) and want to continue having roomates for various reasons.

Some of the stronger possibilities of where we may be moved to include Edmonton, Comox, Petawawa, Trenton, Halifax, Greenwood (NS), North Bay.

Since we like having student roomates, a city or town with at least a community college is preferable. A bus system would be great (even if it's a bit lame, better than nothing) as well as the ability to live centrally and walk/cycle almost everywhere.

Ideally we would purchase a larger house near a university or college that is also close to ammenities such as a grocery store.

If you've ever lived in one of the above mentioned cities/towns, or a city/town neighbouring one of the above places (ie Petawawa/Pembroke) and can give any insight into neighbourhoods that you feel would be ideal for us, I'd very much appreciate it.

Again, this may seem a bit obsessive to some, but because of my obsessiveness we have done well by me being so inquisitive about cities we may possibly get posted to. Once the posting message comes, we often have four or five weeks to buy a house in our new town/city, do the move, get settled in and hubby starts work. Viola!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,583,400 times
I don't know a lot about anywhere east, but Edmonton is fairly large (metro area is roughly a million people), and has the University of Alberta and several other post secondary schools.

I think Comox is fairly small, 10-15,000 people. I don't know if it's close enough to Courtenay to count as one city, but either way I don't think it'd be more than 40,000 people with both together.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM

7,255 posts, read 10,075,354 times
But Comox is sooooo nice. Better weather, and you can get around by bike. Edmonton is a car city, like Calgary. Plus with WJ you can fly in and out of Comox to anywhere.

Decent skiing, great fishing...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,583,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
But Comox is sooooo nice. Better weather, and you can get around by bike. Edmonton is a car city, like Calgary. Plus with WJ you can fly in and out of Comox to anywhere.

Decent skiing, great fishing...
I agree, and I'd take Comox over Edmonton, but I don't like big cities. The OP mentioned a preference for big cities and living near a university or college. Given that, Edmonton seemed like the better fit. On the other hand, my knowledge of anything east of Winnipeg is pretty slim and one of the bases out that way may offer the best option for them.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,869,527 times
Halifax is a lovely city, MANY universities and colleges and because they get little snow, you can bike pretty much all year round. Downside is that the housing is pretty pricey. I beleive that there is a lot of housing on base (but come to think of it, that may all be navy?).

As for neighbourhoods, not sure what's what now - I lived in Clayton Park (near Mount Saint Vincent University) - 20 years ago - it was nice. Certainly anything near Dalhousie University is going to be sky high in price, but good neighbourhood.

Halifax is what I would call a nice "little-big" city. Great farmer's market, lots to see and do, quite artsy fartsy if you like that sort of thing (I do ) excellent shopping and probably the best connections for vacation and stuff (airport wise) in eastern Canada.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 06-11-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,039,258 times
Trenton is quite small at 20,000 with no real established "downtown" residential area. The base itself is located on the eastern fringe of the town as is the PMQ area, Middleton Park.

No community college or university in Trenton. Loyalist College is located about 10km to the east on the outskirts of Belleville, but it's far more likely that students would choose to reside in Belleville so as to access the college via public transit.

Petawawa is located outside of Pembroke which has a satellite campus of Algonquin College.

Not sure why you're so concerned about all this stuff; the career manager speaketh and the soldier moves.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 11,407 times
Thanks everyone! You've given me some really fantastic information! I'd love to keep it coming, any information is really appreciated and will help us a lot when it comes time to move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Not sure why you're so concerned about all this stuff; the career manager speaketh and the soldier moves.
Sadly, this is the mentality most military families have. Then, when the posting message comes they panic because they have so little time to move and know nothing (or next to nothing) about the town they are moving to. For those in pmq's, its bad enough not to know anything, but if you're on the market it's a lot worse to not have a clue what you're getting into, especially if you have specific needs such as we do.

Being informed has helped us financially so much that we have our house paid off (we're in our 30's), and investment property in Vancouver paid off in full, generating solid income each month for us. If it wasn't for me researching and asking people questions like I am, we would never be in this good a financial situation.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,569,817 times
Halifax gets "little" snow? It's one of the snowiest places in the country! Granted, it is milder, so the snow doesn't tend to stick for too long, but in a normal winter you'll have at least 10 storms with 10 cm of snow, and 2 or 3 with 20 cm+

Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM

22 posts, read 75,338 times
Yeah, Halifax gets snow. Not like they do in Moncton, but more than Toronto. More than Edmonton.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,193 times
I live in Comox and it is close enough to Courtenay to be considered one municipality. In fact these and the surrounding area comprise the Comox Valley Regional District, population in the low 60K area and there is a wide diversity of home options, from rural acreage to low maintenance patio and town homes. The transit service is limited, but does service the air base from most areas. There is the North Island College and always a need for rooms for students many of which come from outside the country, ie. Korea or Japan.
There are 2 main recreational centers with pools, and 1 has 2 ice rinks as well as curling sheets. There is another rec complex at the base with an arena & curling club just down the street.
The weather is conducive to year round cycling and just about anywhere is "10 minutes away by car" within the 2 municipal boundaries. Add to that the local ski hill, which is still operating today, the myriad golf courses, beaches and fresh water lakes for boating swimming and fishing and you'll never be at a loss for something to do.
Within a couple hours drive you can get away from it all in the wilderness following logging service roads into the back country for camping during the summer months with reasonable weather, high 20s to low 30s and low humidity, way less bugs than the forests of Ontario and Quebec and plentiful trout fishing in the many man made, although you'd hardly know it, lakes that dot the countryside.
Seeing as you have property in Vancouver, it's a short hop from the International airport in addition to direct flights to Mexico from here.
Overall, if you can get past the wet (not white) winters there really is no other choice. The people are friendly, still has that small town mentality as a whole, the weather is enticing and the variety of things to do is cornucopic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or