U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM

20,605 posts, read 25,685,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
and are theese classes free?

how long you think i could learn basic french?just to get by
Yes, they are free. It consists of three courses of 11 weeks each. 30 hours per week roughly.

Here is the info:
Immigration-Québec - Intensive full-time course

After this, you should be pretty good in French. Since you already speak Portgueuse (same language family) this would likely help you learn faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
Quote:
movingwiththewind,actually what you're saying makes sense,but i am not a college graduate,i dont wanna move in to make fortune or raise a family,i just wanna live,be happy,have a job,anykind is good,i'm not picky

ps:i just wanna say i'm sorry about my writing,i don't know if it's my keyboard or some site bug,but sometimes i have noticed it makes my writing ilegible,lol,my english is bad as it is
I am not sure you will be able to immigrate here without a post secondary education of any sort. I mean we have people who are doctors in their home country and come here and end up making 12-14 bucks and hour as a pharmacy tech.

not to discourage you but people with a bachelor's degree engineering or some one with a PHD in medical science will have a better chance at getting immigration status.

most of the immigrants here in canada are either really rich to begin with or very well educated and are highly motivated to be successful here.

anyways not to discourage you but I wish you luck and hope it works out for you.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM

57 posts, read 35,451 times
lol,i would say like a distant cousin,i took franch in "high school",hearing i can catch something here and there but nothing special,now spanish yes,i can speak,it's very similar to portuguese

you say it's 30 hours a week?for 3 moths??????ins't that kinda intensive??? i mean people work 40 hours a week,how i am supose to work?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM

20,605 posts, read 25,685,111 times
Quote:
lol,i would say like a distant cousin,i took franch in "high school",hearing i can catch something here and there but nothing special,now spanish yes,i can speak,it's very similar to portuguese

you say it's 30 hours a week?for 3 moths??????ins't that kinda intensive??? i mean people work 40 hours a week,how i am supose to work?
I think they will help you out financially if you are studying full time. Other than that, there are also part-time options. You will see them if you search around a bit on the site I gave you.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,521,952 times
Quote:
Forget work. Language classes should be your first priority when you arrive. Nothing else is more important than this in the earliest stage of your residency in Canada. This is your best investment. Everything else will be build on your ability to communicate effectively. I know, you probably will want to work right away, but the biggest mistake many newly arrived immigrants do, is to accept the first job available instead of investing in language and fiurther education. As much as you feel you need money right away, never forget what your first priorities should be. You will see.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 PM

33,168 posts, read 39,157,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Forget work. Language classes should be your first priority when you arrive. Nothing else is more important than this in the earliest stage of your residency in Canada.
I think that immediacy to learn French would only apply if you were moving to Quebec as the rest of Canada is mostly all English.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 PM

57 posts, read 35,451 times
i discover something out,in my early commnents i was pretty desperate and trying to bend the rulles,but i ask my mom and she also emigrated to portugal back in the day,and she told me that i can aply for residance ride away,after 3 or 5 years then become a canada citizen, wanted to become instantly but i think there's no need or rush......

now tell this is possible right guys???and girls too xd

Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
Quote:
i discover something out,in my early commnents i was pretty desperate and trying to bend the rulles,but i ask my mom and she also emigrated to portugal back in the day,and she told me that i can aply for residance ride away,after 3 or 5 years then become a canada citizen, wanted to become instantly but i think there's no need or rush......

you can apply to become a citizen but that does not mean they will grant you citizenship.

also to work here you will need to be issued a working visa or you will not be able to find a job or if you do under the table work and get caught without a working visa you will be deported and never allowed back into canada.

If you do get a temp working visa I would save up alot of money and have a job lined up also making arrangments to have a place to stay before you get here is good also. I would plan on having 3-4 months worth of rent, food and other livng expenses in case you don't land a job right away.

The provinces and territories of Canada all have health insurance programs for their residents. In some cases, there is a waiting period before it is possible for a new immigrant to that area to get official health coverage, so those who plan to settle in those areas should arrange for private health insurance coverage through a reputable insurance company for that waiting period. A list of provinces and territories is below, with information about the waiting period in each one and where to apply for official health coverage.

You will find below a list of insurers that can provide private medical insurance, for a fee, until your provincial health insurance comes into effect.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by GTOlover; 06-23-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,521,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think that immediacy to learn French would only apply if you were moving to Quebec as the rest of Canada is mostly all English.
I agree. I was not talking about French in particular. I was talking about language classes, in general.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM

33,168 posts, read 39,157,360 times
Quote:

Unless your Mom is Canadian i think its going to be a little more complicated than just applying for residency which may or may not be granted..Once you have gone through the process of becoming a landed immigrant and have been accepted as a legal landed immigrant i believe you can apply for Canadian citizenship after 5 years of residence in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or