U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:11 PM

57 posts, read 35,309 times

Advertisements

but a working visa and a residence visa is it too hard to get???

my mom said it was very easy for her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,300,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
but a working visa and a residence visa is it too hard to get???

my mom said it was very easy for her
your best bet is to apply and find out

The Canadian Skilled Worker Visa allows immigration to Canada as a permanent resident without the need for an employer or sponsor. Holders of this visa are able to seek employment and apply for jobs following the exact same process as a resident worker, without requiring you and your employer to go through the work permit process.

How skilled do they mean by "skilled?" How much work makes you a "worker?" To determine eligibility for the Skilled Worker Visa, Canada looks at six selection factors including Education, Official Languages Spoken, Work Experience, Age, whether you have Pre-Arranged Employment in Canada, and Adaptability. All of these factors are scored on a point system from 0 — 100. To see if you might be eligible for this visa, let's go through the sections and see how you add up.

Education: Higher education really counts when applying for the Skilled Worker Visa. On the point system, you can get a maximum of 25 points for education. CIC gives only five points for a high school degree. That bumps up to 20 points with a bachelor's degree from a university and 25 points for a master's degree or higher.

Official Languages Spoken: The two official languages of Canada are English and French. Points towards the Skilled Workers Visa are awarded on a sliding scale of proficiency. CIC gives 16 points to proficient speakers of one of the official languages, and if you are proficient in both English and French you can earn a maximum of 24 points.

Work Experience: Canada prefers immigrants who have some work experience. For one year of experience CIC awards 15 points. After that it's two points for every additional year of experience, up to a total of 21 points.
Age: If the applicant is between the ages of 21 and 49, that's 10 easy points toward the Skilled Worker Visa. Subtract two points for every year the applicant is under 21 or over 49.

Arranged Employment in Canada: While it is not necessary to have a job set up before you apply for the Skilled Workers Visa, CIC awards 10 points to applicants already working in Canada or outside of the country who have a permanent job offer approved by the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

Adaptability: You can earn extra points toward the Skilled Workers Visa if you show you and your family will adapt easily to life in Canada. Apparently, Canada thinks education leads to greater adaptability because CIC awards up to five points according to a spouse's level of education. CIC also awards five points for each of the following: one year of Canadian work experience, two years of Canadian study, if you already have arranged work, and if you have extended family living in Canada — up to a maximum of 10 points for this section.

How Does it Add Up? If you have been keeping score, add up all the points you have earned in each section now. Currently, the "pass mark" is set at 67 points. Confused? Here's an example: Let's say an applicant has a bachelor's degree (20 pts), speaks English with proficiency (16 pts), has four years of work experience (21 pts), and is between the ages of 21 and 49 (10 pts), there's 67 points right there; this person is eligible for a Skilled Worker's Visa.

What Now? If you qualify for the Skilled Worker's Visa, congratulations! But don't start celebrating yet—you still have lots to do. Be aware that it's not a quick or easy process by any means—you will need to spend several hours filling out a complete Skilled Worker Visa application with documentation, then you'll have to wait up to 12 months for a response. If you are serious about applying for the Skilled Worker Visa, the first place you should check out is the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) web site: www.cic.gc.ca. If you are in the U.S. you can call the Canadian Embassy for more details at 212-596-1783.

The good news is that there's no guesswork involved—if you score high enough on the point scale, you'll get the Skilled Workers Visa. It's just a matter of time. After that, where and when you move to Canada is up to you. Will it be the pacific shores of British Columbia, the prairies of Alberta, the French-speaking cities of Quebec, or the uncharted wilds of the North? Or will it be somewhere else in Canada entirely? Canada is the second largest country in the world and the possibilities are truly endless.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:41 PM

if you got enough points which is 67 and kobe_ramone since it takes up to a year to get approved I would start the process of filling out the proper paper work.
good luck dude hope it works out for you.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM

ihhhhhh man,i did the test,not so good,i don't think this way i will go

what about the resident visa???

i clicked the site and my country doens't come in the list of people who need a visa to enter or visit canada....what do this mean?i can just go???

Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
ihhhhhh man,i did the test,not so good,i don't think this way i will go

what about the resident visa???

i clicked the site and my country doens't come in the list of people who need a visa to enter or visit canada....what do this mean?i can just go???
I am not sure you will be able to get in then you need to fall into one of the catagories to get permanent residence visa. you may have to go back to school ie. colllege or university in your home country and take a few english or french language courses. It may take you 5-6 years and a university dergree to get here but if you want it you can do it.

The process of obtaining permanent residency in Canada is complex and time consuming. It is also in a state of constant change due to different foreign policy initiatives and modifications to regulations.

Individuals can apply under one of six categories for Canadian permanent residence:
  • Skilled Worker Class Immigration
  • Business Class Immigration
  • Provincial Nomination
  • Family Class Immigration
  • Quebec-Selected Immigration
  • International Adoption
Skilled Worker Class Immigration

Individuals can apply to become permanent residents in Canada under the skilled worker class. Applicants are evaluated based on education level, language ability, work experience, age, arranged employment and adaptability. Each factor is individually evaluated and the overall score determines whether the applicant is a suitable candidate for permanent resident status. The combined score is from 0 to 100, with the minimum qualifying level set at 67.

This is not the only measure used to determine candidate suitability. Citizenship and Immigration Canada also takes into account an individual’s criminal history (if one exists), the Canadian labour market and other factors to determine the outcome of the application. However, this score is a good starting point to determine whether you can apply for the permanent resident status under this category.

For example: a 25 year-old female with excellent English ability, basic French knowledge, a Master’s degree with 2 years work experience in the country of origin, no prearranged employment in Canada and a spouse that has studied, lived and worked in Canada might score upwards of 80 points overall. This combined score of the six factors would make her eligible to apply for permanent residency. However, different individuals score differently and this example is in no way representative of the larger population.
Business Class Immigration

There are classes of individuals In the Business Class category that qualify for permanent residence: investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed persons .

Investors are required to demonstrate business experience, a legally obtained net worth of C$800,000 and to invest C$400,000 in Canadian economy. There are also additional requirements.

Entrepreneurs are also required to demonstrate business experience in owning and managing businesses or in owning a share or percentage of an enterprise. They must also have a net worth of C$300,000, be willing to manage and operate a business and create at least one full time job (not including his/hers) within three years of becoming a permanent resident.

Self-employed persons are must have the experience, intention and ability to establish a business that will, at a minimum, create an employment opportunity for themselves and that will make a significant contribution to cultural activities or athletics in Canada; or purchase and manage a farm.
Provincial Nomination

If you have a specific province in mind that you would like to immigrate and settle in, this process allows a province to nominate individuals that they wish to include in their selection for immigration and settlement. This process requires the individual to contact the representative immigration office within the target province and apply for nomination to that province. After this nomination has been performed, the individual has to apply to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Family Class Immigration

If you have any members of the close family that are permanent residents in Canada, they may be able to help you obtain permanent residency. Approximately 30% of all immigrants that come to Canada are sponsored by family members. Individuals living in Canada are obliged by the government to sponsor family members coming to Canada for a period of 3 to 10 years in order to help them settle in Canada.
Québec-Selected Immigration

Province of Québec has a special agreement with the Federal Government of Canada to select immigrants that best fit its immigration requirements. There is a separate evaluation process for any individual intending to settle in Québec, which includes the following categories:
  • Permanent workers
  • Businesspeople
  • Students - permanent immigration
  • Temporary workers - permanent immigration
  • Families
  • Sponsored refugees
International Adoption

Canadian permanent residents are permitted to adopt children from foreign countries. The process is quite long and arduous in order to protect the rights of children and it involves conducting various studies of the adoptive family and its surroundings. Adopting a child from another country involves different legal issues and entities such as the Provincial immigration office, Hague Convention that governs international adoptions, child’s country of origin legal offices and so on. Canadian families intending to adopt children have to be able to sponsor them for extended period, and be committed to raising the child and pursuing his or hers best interests.
How to obtain a permanent resident visa

In order to initiate the process of obtaining a permanent resident visa, contact the nearest consulate, high commission or an embassy of Canada. At the basic level, obtaining a permanent resident visa requires the individual to:
  • Provide a medical certificate and criminal record check
  • Fill in and submit a permanent resident visa application
  • Pay the application fee
  • Attend interviews with immigration representatives
In addition, and depending on the nature and category of your application, the following may or may not be required:
  • Originals, copies and official translations of documents that support the application including educational degrees, diplomas, and certificates, personal identification documents and/or sponsor letters and relevant information
  • Sufficient funds to support the applicant during the initial time in Canada
  • Skills assessment test
  • Proof of refugee status
  • Language test(s) results
  • Additional fees
  • Other documentation or tests
Fees for permanent residency

Current fees relating to a permanent resident visa are as follows (as of 2005):

Family Class applicants:
  • Sponsorship application ($75 per application)
  • Principal applicant ($475)
  • Principal applicant, if less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner ($75 including a dependent child of the sponsor, a child to be adopted and an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild)
  • A family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older, or is less than 22 years of age and is a spouse or common-law partner ($550)
  • A family member of the principal applicant who is less than 22 years of age and is not a spouse or common-law partner ($150)
Note: Fees assessed for principal applicants and family members under the Family Class are payable, along with the sponsorship fee, when the sponsor files the sponsorship application.

Investor, Entrepreneur or Self-employed Persons Class applicants:
  • Principal applicant ($1,050)
  • A family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older, or is less than 22 years of age and is a spouse or common-law partner ($550)
  • A family member of the principal applicant who is less than 22 years of age and is not a spouse or common-law partner ($150)
Other classes of applicants:
  • Principal applicant ($550)

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM

jesus,so much burocracy

i think my only chance is Québec-Selected Immigration Temporary workers - permanent immigration

but to get in must be hard,can't believe this,and i bet without a visa i can't get any kind of job so....

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM

anyone want to sponser me??lol

or marry me?

cause it's the only legal way i can get to the country

Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM

jesus,i got to say that canada is hard on this,just look at the diffences in the canadian and american way of doing things

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Embaixada Americana em Lisboa – US Embassy

american is easy to get in,canada is almost impossible,unleass you have like 4 MBA's or 3 bachelors degrees

what do you guys think?i should end my adventure with canada?enter illegaly?write a new thread to found a sponsor or employer?or go to the states?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,873,460 times
The USA is one of the harder countries for a Canadian to get into, without a university degree.
But every "1st world" country is hard to get into lately, regardless of language skills.
Too bad you didn't try immigrating 10+ years ago to Canada, it "seemed" easier then. (lots of loop-holes?)

Bureaucracy is the main reason I'm still in Canada.
(though I'm LOVING Toronto's weather today; 29 C with 70% humidity, peak UV Level of 10 )

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 PM

in american embassy site seems pretty easy to get into,lol,one big plus is that i can marrie some rawdom women and become american,canada can't do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or