Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

kobe_ramone:
I just found out Lisbon, Portugal is sunnier than Rome, Italy... I'm envious.
Most Canadians believe we do not get enough sun.

Lisbon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT004170

Rome
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT004000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Overall it's pretty decent, just giving you some warning it's not all perfect.
I have met just as many immigrants to Canada who found Canada disappointing,
are you talking about the folks who set up www.notcanada.com?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Unless your Mom is Canadian i think its going to be a little more complicated than just applying for residency which may or may not be granted..Once you have gone through the process of becoming a landed immigrant and have been accepted as a legal landed immigrant i believe you can apply for Canadian citizenship after 5 years of residence in Canada.
here you go. 3 years of residence:
Application for Canadian Citizenship - Adults

Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
are you talking about the folks who set up www.notcanada.com?
No, people I've met from school and from work.
In my experience, it seems it's equally common to regret moving to Canada as it is to be happy to be here.

Even more of the immigrants content with Canada feel Canada is a "smart" place to live,
(more predictable, generally safer, better-mannered drivers etc.) but it isn't as fun or exciting as "back home."
Our country doesn't often inspire passionate enthusiasm for most residents it seems, imho.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
in american embassy site seems pretty easy to get into,lol,one big plus is that i can marrie some rawdom women and become american,canada can't do that
NO YOU CANNOT. The US INS investigates for marriage fraud:
Investigating Marriage Fraud in New York - Do You Take This Immigrant? - NYTimes.com

Ive heard of cases of spouses separated for years due to red tape.

Please research the Canadian Immigration web site thoroughly, don't expect to get spoon fed with all your answers. Once you are familiar with what it takes to move to Canada then you can ask more specific questions.

If you are interested in the US, Portugal is a country that is on the Green Card lottery. Do a google on US green card lottery for more detailed information. Its not a guarantee. I have 2 friends in Australia who ahve applied twice but not chosen and another friend who got selected first try.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
No, people I've met from school and from work.
In my experience, it seems it's equally common to regret moving to Canada as it is to be happy to be here.

Even more of the immigrants content with Canada feel Canada is a "smart" place to live,
(more predictable, generally safer, better-mannered drivers etc.) but it isn't as fun or exciting as "back home."
Our country doesn't often inspire passionate enthusiasm for most residents it seems, imho.
LOL. The one thing that disappointed me in Toronto is the job market of late has been horrible, even for IT people with lots of experience. I make much more money in tax free New Hampshire. I had a friend that moved to Toronto last year (also IT) and he could not find a decent job.. ended up in Calgary.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,781 times
Quote:
kobe_ramone:
I just found out Lisbon, Portugal is sunnier than Rome, Italy... I'm envious.
Most Canadians believe we do not get enough sun.
want more sun! go to Estevan SK!!

now as for warmth... I am uh... not so sure...

Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
movingwiththewind,actually what you're saying makes sense,but i am not a college graduate,i dont wanna move in to make fortune or raise a family,i just wanna live,be happy,have a job,anykind is good,i'm not picky

Here's a link to the CBC 6 o'clock news for July 1st. The first 3 minutes are about the citizenship ceremony, and you can listen to people explain why they are happy to be in Canada / to be Canadians:

CBC.ca Video

...and as an unexpected turn of events, the camera caught me in the background for a second as I was taking pictures of "Mr. Canada" (I'm the guy wearing the NYY cap).

Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 PM

65 posts, read 38,355 times
dude,i can't see the video,anyone else can?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
dude,i can't see the video,anyone else can?

The CBC video? They only keep them for so long, so it's not there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada