U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM

23 posts, read 31,358 times

Advertisements

ahahhahahahhaha,i see what you're saying but without a permanent resident visa or work visa can i get a job?

You can get a job in a contruction industry, there is a huge demand. I know a lot of Portugeese came to work here in Toronto. If you would have no problem to find contruction jobs here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM

325 posts, read 598,779 times
Would being of French Canadian descent/ancestry make a difference as to whether one would be given consideration for emigration to Canada? My grandfather moved to the USA from Montreal a hundred years ago.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:45 PM

195 posts, read 528,917 times
Evan -

No the large New England French Canadian diaspora is not given any preference in immigration.

If your father or mother were Canadian that would help - otherwise your best bets are:

- get a job in Canada willing to sponsor you
- go to school in Canada and complete a degree here (which will entitle you to an open work permit which would allow you to get your foot in the door)
- marry a Canadian
- apply as a skilled worker from the US and wait for your application to be processed

Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,066,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Would being of French Canadian descent/ancestry make a difference as to whether one would be given consideration for emigration to Canada? My grandfather moved to the USA from Montreal a hundred years ago.
Citizenship-wise, yes.. but you'll have to go through the same immigration process as everyone else.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM

20,423 posts, read 25,364,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Citizenship-wise, yes.. but you'll have to go through the same immigration process as everyone else.
I think this would apply only if Canadian citizenship has been maintained successively through the generations spent in the U.S. (grandfather Canadian citizen, father Canadian citizen, etc.).

Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM

325 posts, read 598,779 times
Seems only #3 would be a real option for me at this point. Know of any Canadian women looking for a husband? LOL

Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 AM

33,024 posts, read 38,671,794 times
Kobe, you started this post more than 2 months ago,
have you requested and received the required immigration papers?
have you filled them out and sent them back ?
If you have then by now you should be getting a response from our Canadian government telling you if you qualify or at least what you need to do to qualify..
Theres no easy shortcut to doing this legally,fill out the papers and get in line
I see our friend Kobe hasnt posted since June so he's probably lost interest in Canada.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:19 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,083,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kobe, you started this post more than 2 months ago,
have you requested and received the required immigration papers?
have you filled them out and sent them back ?
If you have then by now you should be getting a response from our Canadian government telling you if you qualify or at least what you need to do to qualify..
Theres no easy shortcut to doing this legally,fill out the papers and get in line
I see our friend Kobe hasnt posted since June so he's probably lost interest in Canada.

Ummmmm........no.

Kobe was naughty boy and acquired "Not a Member" status ....... under a variety of names and guises.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 AM

33,024 posts, read 38,671,794 times
Thanks for the update

Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 AM

178 posts, read 427,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Toronto may be a little more expensive, but there are more jobs there and, in general, jobs pay more, so and the end, you may be better off in Toronto than some other less expensive places. It's like people often complain about how expensive NYC is, forgetting that NYC offers better pay and great career opportunties. What I'm saying is that in many cases a more expensive place can actually offer a better lifestyle and even be more affordable due to higher salaries and job opportunities. Do you think even a cheap place will be affordable if you don't have a job?
Not always, I moved to Montreal 1 year ago from Toronto after 5 months without a job. Here I got a job quickly in my field, and it paid the same as Toronto

I beg to differ on the lifestyle comment. Montreal's lifestyle is miles and miles ahead of Toronto. I never had as much fun in Toronto as I had in Montreal. Not to mention cost of living in montreal is half of what toronto is, so I don,t have to worry about penny pinching like I did in Toronto.

Overall.. I think Toronto offers squat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or