U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM

546 posts, read 426,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Who said I didn't have concerns about issues in the United States? In fact, if you were actually a careful reader of my previous post, as opposed to indulging in kneejerk stereotyping (As well as some obsequious fawning towards our friends to the North), you would know the opposite. I'm no apologist. And, given the quality of your writing, I'm guessing that I'm more educated than you.

Back to the issue at hand. In my various encounters with Germans, I've never seen fit to take them to task about the Holocaust. I've never ripped Chinese about their totalitarian state. In my travels in Russia, I didn't broach the Gulag once. I don't feel the need to comment on the Quebec Separatist movement, either. Yet when some Canadians learn you're from the States, they feel as if it were open season.
A Canadian couple I know used to be in the US on a work visa pastoring a small church we attended. He certainly considered it "open season." During one service he let it be known that living here challenged his sensibilities. And so ended his effectiveness as a pastor as far as I was concerned. The US government put him out of his misery when they did not renew his work visa. He had to leave the country. I think the congregtion was far more relieved than he was.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,058,703 times
Being exposed to the churchgoing segment of the U.S. population probably put the poor Canadian pastor on the edge. I doubt he was prepared for the type of bible thumpers you only find in the good ol' U.S. of A. Canada has plenty of churches but the mentality is quite different... you don't get people pushing their religion on you, and using their religion to justify violence and theft.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:53 PM

3,559 posts, read 3,266,445 times
I think the reason English Canadians engage in this activity is:

A) Because we feel culturally threatened by America. Canada is becoming more Americanized and we fear this trend, so in an effort to remain distinct anti-American rhetoric develops that makes it easier for us to reject American things. It's a collective cultural survival mechanism that other English speaking countries don't have to engage in because America is far away from them. We especially latch on to things that we would never have in our mainstream, like Sarah Palin or evangelical christianity, because it affirms our difference. People aren't doing this consciously, but it's the reason the phenomenon came about, took root, and many were socialized to this norm. Note, this tendancy is not so much present in French speaking Canada because French Canada is not threatened by America in the same way, French Canadians are much more secure in their separateness and so are more likely to be appreciative of American culture.

B) We feel we can criticize you because we watch all the criticizing you do of yourself. When you do it's meant for domestic consumption so you can fix problems in your country or stimulate debate about it. The response to, say, a Michael Moore documentary is supposed to be "there's something wrong with my country, but I love it none the less, I will work to heal it because it is my beloved home." Canadians who consume so much American media and are not it's target audience think "Ha, glad I don't live there and have to deal with those problems, I'll just relax here in Canada." We're close enough that we think we understand you and your problems, like an insider, but an outsider at the same time.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM

546 posts, read 426,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Being exposed to the churchgoing segment of the U.S. population probably put the poor Canadian pastor on the edge. I doubt he was prepared for the type of bible thumpers you only find in the good ol' U.S. of A. Canada has plenty of churches but the mentality is quite different... you don't get people pushing their religion on you, and using their religion to justify violence and theft.
Trust me, that wasn't his problem. He was in a church here that he was very familiar with. No, thumping wasn't the issue. He just wasn't real fond of the country.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM

940 posts, read 901,994 times
Trust me when I tell you that there are lots of tut-tutting jackasses in Canada. They sicken me to the core when they claim to speak for all Canadians, pretending to define and articulate what they seem convinced are "Canadian values". Like all 34 million Canadians share a common ideology and common beliefs! I am similarly disgusted when such people go out of their way to condescend to their friendly American neighbours.

For the benefit of American readers following this thread, the shrieks of protest that followed the recent election of a mildly right-of-centre federal government north of the border would have left you puzzled. Given the inappropriately excited reactions of a broad segment of Canadian society, you would have been forgiven if you thought that this reactionary element in Canada were protesting the election of a fascist regime when, in fact, Canadians had plumped for something no more extreme that a party with policies that probably place it in between Bush the Elder Republicans and Clinton Democrats. Sadly, many Canadians are decidedly intolerant of anything or anyone that deviates in any way from what they hold dear to their left-wing, liberal hearts.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,141,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Trust me when I tell you that there are lots of tut-tutting jackasses in Canada. They sicken me to the core when they claim to speak for all Canadians, pretending to define and articulate what they seem convinced are "Canadian values". Like all 34 million Canadians share a common ideology and common beliefs! I am similarly disgusted when such people go out of their way to condescend to their friendly American neighbours.

For the benefit of American readers following this thread, the shrieks of protest that followed the recent election of a mildly right-of-centre federal government north of the border would have left you puzzled. Given the inappropriately excited reactions of a broad segment of Canadian society, you would have been forgiven if you thought that this reactionary element in Canada were protesting the election of a fascist regime when, in fact, Canadians had plumped for something no more extreme that a party with policies that probably place it in between Bush the Elder Republicans and Clinton Democrats. Sadly, many Canadians are decidedly intolerant of anything or anyone that deviates in away from what they hold dear to their left-wing, liberal hearts.

So you are sickened:

Quote:
to the core when they claim to speak for all Canadians, pretending to define and articulate what they seem convinced are "Canadian values"

and yet you opine:

Quote:
many Canadians are decidedly intolerant of anything or anyone that deviates in away from what they hold dear to their left-wing, liberal hearts.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,605,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
So you are sickened:

and yet you opine:

You took the words right out of my mouth

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,605,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

For the benefit of American readers following this thread, the shrieks of protest that followed the recent election of a mildly right-of-centre federal government north of the border would have left you puzzled. Given the inappropriately excited reactions of a broad segment of Canadian society, you would have been forgiven if you thought that this reactionary element in Canada were protesting the election of a fascist regime when, in fact, Canadians had plumped for something no more extreme that a party with policies that probably place it in between Bush the Elder Republicans and Clinton Democrats. Sadly, many Canadians are decidedly intolerant of anything or anyone that deviates in any way from what they hold dear to their left-wing, liberal hearts.
For someone whose party apparently won, you sound somewhat bitter?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM

485 posts, read 1,463,661 times
I just wish Canadians were more assertive and gregarious... I also wish Canadians were more outspoken and didn't see it as "impolite" to voice a complaint once in awhile. By others it can be viewed as timid and lethargic... We are truly one of the most polite nations on earth but we do take it too far at times... One thing I wish for Canadians on the world stage is that we would stop assuming that the rest of the world is as polite and "on the straight and narrow" as we tend to be. We do get taken advantage of more than we are willing to admit...

As for a personal wish, I wish Canadians (at least in Western Canada) were not so laid back, timid and we didn't dawdle as much in our everyday lives. We could use some of that American "get up and go" in our professional world as well as on our roads. We first need to acknowledge though that we as a people have a tendency to "drag our a$$es" compared to our international competitors. (Southern Ontario excepted I suppose)... In places like NYC and Chicago it is considered impolite to be in someone's way, holding up a line, or slowing someone down... The concept doesn't exist in Western Canada and we could use that here.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,463,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think the reason English Canadians engage in this activity is:

A) Because we feel culturally threatened by America. Canada is becoming more Americanized and we fear this trend, so in an effort to remain distinct anti-American rhetoric develops that makes it easier for us to reject American things. It's a collective cultural survival mechanism that other English speaking countries don't have to engage in because America is far away from them. We especially latch on to things that we would never have in our mainstream, like Sarah Palin or evangelical christianity, because it affirms our difference. People aren't doing this consciously, but it's the reason the phenomenon came about, took root, and many were socialized to this norm. Note, this tendancy is not so much present in French speaking Canada because French Canada is not threatened by America in the same way, French Canadians are much more secure in their separateness and so are more likely to be appreciative of American culture.

B) We feel we can criticize you because we watch all the criticizing you do of yourself. When you do it's meant for domestic consumption so you can fix problems in your country or stimulate debate about it. The response to, say, a Michael Moore documentary is supposed to be "there's something wrong with my country, but I love it none the less, I will work to heal it because it is my beloved home." Canadians who consume so much American media and are not it's target audience think "Ha, glad I don't live there and have to deal with those problems, I'll just relax here in Canada." We're close enough that we think we understand you and your problems, like an insider, but an outsider at the same time.
I think the overt Anti-Americanism is slowly going away... Maybe not in Toronto that was settled by loyalists fleeing the US in the late 18th Century but in the rest of Canada it is. Reason of course being our relative economic and social success vs the US. Stronger dollar, lower unemployment rate, etc.

That said, if we are going to dish it out on the Americans we need to learn how to take it from the Americans... We are learning but the "glass houses" analogy should apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada