U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 13,878,965 times
Reputation: 3829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Nonsense. A significant number of Canadians are (misguided) left-wing liberals and that's why their exaggerated howls of protest when people who are not left-wing liberals are democratically elected to run things drives people like me crazy. Their tut-tutting and their presumption that only they and their ilk are fit to run the country sickens people like me. Even Rex Murphy, a man who once ran for the Liberal Party, has called their side on it more than a few times in recent months. You wouldn't know if people like me were eating babies and killing senior citizens given their shrill shrieking.

If those people don't like it, then maybe they should try winning next time. We watched them demonize Mulroney, a left-leaning PCer. We won't let them get away with doing the same to Harper. They will mercilessly be called on their disrespect of political opponents and on their intolerance of those whose political beliefs diverge from their own.

If you think it's intolerant to describe these people as what they are, then you've got a very strange definition of intolerance. Ever hear of freedom of speech? Are you familiar with public discussion and debate? If you strip away speech of anything that might give rise to offense on any level, then you will be left with a tasteless pablum devoid of expressive content.


My error.

Certainly no evidence of intolerance to be found here.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
 
1,246 posts, read 1,858,185 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
My error.

Certainly no evidence of intolerance to be found here.

Carry on.
Whatever. Your have your notions and I have mine. We are unlikely to agree on many things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 AM
 
15,157 posts, read 8,616,329 times
Reputation: 10939
"What would you change about Canadians" How on earth did this morph into a general discussion on our relationship with our neighbour to the south?

Is there no other defining extract of Canadianism we would choose to change?

How about removing the "eh" at the end of many sentences. (Please refrain from comparing it to the U.S. popular "uuh".)

I tend to narrow my intemperate views to that of speech patterns of my fellow Canadians but some words defy common sense also. Take that, always strange, word "galoshes" to describe over-boots of a rubber design to keep your shoes dry. Why are they not simply called "overshoes" or even "rubbers"?

This may be a rather feeble attempt to swing the discussiona way for that proverbial "lefty-loosey - righty-tighty" stuff but nevertheless, sincere on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
161 posts, read 441,464 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"What would you change about Canadians" How on earth did this morph into a general discussion on our relationship with our neighbour to the south?

Is there no other defining extract of Canadianism we would choose to change?

How about removing the "eh" at the end of many sentences. (Please refrain from comparing it to the U.S. popular "uuh".)

I tend to narrow my intemperate views to that of speech patterns of my fellow Canadians but some words defy common sense also. Take that, always strange, word "galoshes" to describe over-boots of a rubber design to keep your shoes dry. Why are they not simply called "overshoes" or even "rubbers"?
But "galoshes" is such a cool word to say! Eh?

I do agree that in trying to define Canadian-ness we spend far too much time comparing ourselves to the United States. Pretty unavoidable, and certainly interesting, but not-being-the-USA is certainly not all that Canada is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,077 posts, read 3,717,087 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"What would you change about Canadians" How on earth did this morph into a general discussion on our relationship with our neighbour to the south?

Is there no other defining extract of Canadianism we would choose to change?

How about removing the "eh" at the end of many sentences. (Please refrain from comparing it to the U.S. popular "uuh".)

I tend to narrow my intemperate views to that of speech patterns of my fellow Canadians but some words defy common sense also. Take that, always strange, word "galoshes" to describe over-boots of a rubber design to keep your shoes dry. Why are they not simply called "overshoes" or even "rubbers"?

This may be a rather feeble attempt to swing the discussiona way for that proverbial "lefty-loosey - righty-tighty" stuff but nevertheless, sincere on my part.

Yes! Please! remove the 'eh' at the end of sentences. Makes us sound like a bunch of hicks.

Seriously, it makes us sound like we're a bunch of dimwits, which of course, we all know isn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
19,384 posts, read 24,186,707 times
Reputation: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Yes! Please! remove the 'eh' at the end of sentences. Makes us sound like a bunch of hicks.

Seriously, it makes us sound like we're a bunch of dimwits, which of course, we all know isn't the case.
Not sure that ''huh'' sounds more intellectual than ''eh''...

BTW, I am French Canadian and don't say ''eh'', so it's not a personal thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 AM
 
3,700 posts, read 4,017,734 times
Reputation: 2230
I wish Canadians were more sincere.

Barring some type dramatic demographic shift or extreme difference in political systems; Canada and the US are bound to represent each other.

For example at one time territories that are present day American states and Canadian provinces shared the continent together as part of the British Empire. Hmmm. Do you think you that being founded by the same nation, having the same language, having geography that is not dissimilar (at least in regards to the areas that border each other or near the border), and having a relatively similar demographic makeup, might cause both countries to have similar cultures regardless of media influence?

There have also been a number population swaps between the two countries. America has received French Canadians in the Upper Midwest and New England dating back to the 1700s and hundreds of thousands of professionals over the years. The Cajuns of Louisiana were originally the Acadians of Nova Scotia.

Canada receives up several hundred thousand draft dodgers during the Vietnam War. Canada received much of its black population during the pre-Civil War era via the Underground Railroad. During the 1860-1890s many Americans (most from the South and Midwest) settled in the Prairie Provinces. The town of Stonewall, Manitoba is evidence of this. Who do you think that was named after?

Canadians and Americans have been influencing each other for almost 200 years now. The main problem is once Americans accept a Canadian idea, it might as well be an American one. While when Canadians accept an American idea, it's like they feel dirty and like they've done something that now can never be undone. Like if someone traded their child's virginity for heroin.

Canadians just need to get over it. You're going to have far more in common with Americans than you'd have with any other nation whether you like it or not. And Americans are going to have far more in common with Canadians than any other nation whether they like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM
 
1,246 posts, read 1,858,185 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I wish Canadians were more sincere.

Barring some type dramatic demographic shift or extreme difference in political systems; Canada and the US are bound to represent each other.

For example at one time territories that are present day American states and Canadian provinces shared the continent together as part of the British Empire. Hmmm. Do you think you that being founded by the same nation, having the same language, having geography that is not dissimilar (at least in regards to the areas that border each other or near the border), and having a relatively similar demographic makeup, might cause both countries to have similar cultures regardless of media influence?

There have also been a number population swaps between the two countries. America has received French Canadians in the Upper Midwest and New England dating back to the 1700s and hundreds of thousands of professionals over the years. The Cajuns of Louisiana were originally the Acadians of Nova Scotia.

Canada receives up several hundred thousand draft dodgers during the Vietnam War. Canada received much of its black population during the pre-Civil War era via the Underground Railroad. During the 1860-1890s many Americans (most from the South and Midwest) settled in the Prairie Provinces. The town of Stonewall, Manitoba is evidence of this. Who do you think that was named after?

Canadians and Americans have been influencing each other for almost 200 years now. The main problem is once Americans accept a Canadian idea, it might as well be an American one. While when Canadians accept an American idea, it's like they feel dirty and like they've done something that now can never be undone. Like if someone traded their child's virginity for heroin.

Canadians just need to get over it. You're going to have far more in common with Americans than you'd have with any other nation whether you like it or not. And Americans are going to have far more in common with Canadians than any other nation whether they like it or not.
Amen to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: OK
2,690 posts, read 6,117,648 times
Reputation: 1814
I have lived in Canada and now live in the US. I prefer Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
1,822 posts, read 1,199,908 times
Reputation: 1248
We have some undesirable traits that keep us from progressing...lack of focus is one thing, cronyism, nepotism, a sense of entitlement, delusions of grandeur regarding our country, the monarchy.

A Canadian invented the paint roller, woop woop...we were in WWII before they were...etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top